• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering help, ham can for stock bracket and pulley

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My P/S pump just died and so now is the time to switch to a ham can. I know it’s been talked about 500 time but I can’t seem to find the answers I’m looking for when searching the through all the posts.

I know I read someplace there’s a ham can pump that will bolt up to the stock bracket and use the stock pulley but I can’t find a part number or application.

I’m looking for a single return if at all possible. I found advance part number sp16057 but don’t know if it works with stock stuff.

Thanks, Tim

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
i am pretty sure all the metric and press on canned ham pumps have the same bolt pattern on the front of the pump. the differences are the reservoir and brackets

72Sport

Bronco Guru
My P/S pump just died and so now is the time to switch to a ham can. I know it’s been talked about 500 time but I can’t seem to find the answers I’m looking for when searching the through all the posts.

I know I read someplace there’s a ham can pump that will bolt up to the stock bracket and use the stock pulley but I can’t find a part number or application.

I’m looking for a single return if at all possible. I found advance part number sp16057 but don’t know if it works with stock stuff.

Thanks, Tim

It is not a canned ham pump your are looking for. It was one from Napa which is not carried by them last time I checked. It can be ordered from other auto parts stores for about $100. It is a Cardone rebuilt pump. Give your auto parts store the Napa part no without the hyphen. It then becomes a Cardone #. Advance may be able to cross reference the Cardone #. http://www.broncohio.com/tech/napapump.html

The canned ham pump refers to the shape of the reservoir. Just amount any saginaw can will fit.

The Cardone pump has a horse shoe shaped bracket on the front. It will fit most any Ford from the early 70's to 80's Fords including Mustangs.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Anyone actually get on of these in the past couple months? Several guys on the fullsize boards have been trying to get one, every place seems to be R & R, only if you have one of them already.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Advance still had it back in Sep '09.

The link in that caption still works, but the first pic is wrong. If you click any of the others, it shows the right pump with the horseshoe adapter. But the 2nd reviewer says they're shipping the one in the 1st pic, so you don't get the one you want. To do the swap, you need a Saginaw bracket from the JY, and a regular Saginaw.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Been looking for the "Napa" pump for sometime and no one has it. Was just at Advance and they no longer carry Cardome pumps and even after finding the 20-6244 in the books, it wouldn't cross ref to anything. Went to Napa and all the other places in town but no one has it nor can they get it. Just a note, no one has the stock pump in stock.

If there's not a pump that will bolt to the stock bracket, I guess I'll have to order the special bracket the parts house are selling. Each one seems to be "their" own creation so any advice as to which one works the best and which single return pump is the best for 33 inch tires and under? I'm running the Delphi 600 steering box if that matters

Tim

68ford

Bronco Guru
you can mount a regular old can ham chevy saginaw pump to the factory bracket, you just have to use spacers and it is a bitch to get the bolts started. you also have to clearance the bracket a little. wild horses can send you a template on where to drill the new holes. it requires 2 new holes. works good. keeps it tighter to the engine than the aftermarket brackets, but like i said with the spacers it is a bitch to start 2 of the bolts i think.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Well I guess I am full of obsolete information. I bought my last one 3 or 4 years ago. I did pick up a couple of them at the local wrecking yard about the same time.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
there are only three remanufactures of pumps(atsco,cardone, and fenwick) so all of the auto parts stores are going to have the same options. what year make and model did that special pump bracket fit? i think it was a special built and now not offered by cardone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks for the input guys.
I found a post on another forum that stated the FENCO SP16057 replaces the CARDONE 20-6244 but there is more confusion there as some say it came with the "horseshoe" adapter and others say it didn't.

Worse case, I found my Napa receipt from 1998 for the old pump. They should warranty it out and give me a new one key word being "should". Free is free and I can buy the bracket and upgrade at a later date.

Tim

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I guess my info will be a day late and a dollar short. But I just bought a bracket from Wild Horseabout 38 bucks I think . Then I just used an old Sag Pump from an old dodge tr. From my junk yard out back .I hadn't ran in 15 years but is still going strong .Now on my diesel Bronco. So don't waste much on a new store bought pump Just get a old one from a JY . go get a 2nd if it doesn't work correctly. I though older ones had fraction fittings and new ones have metric . Careful.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
papitt is correct the older pumps had flare fittings and the newer ones have oring fittings. the pressure fitting just screws into the pump so you can get a donor and change the fitting or buy and adapter.