• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering help

koolkris

im putting power steering in a 68 bronco, it has the solid shaft that goes all the way to the old non power box, i was planning on putting two ujoints on that shaft, one the goes on the box and one a few inches below bottom of the culumn.
will this work ok ? or do i also need a callapsible shaft or rag joint?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
What you mention will work. It's just not the safest route to go. The collapsible shaft is a safety item. I have what you mention on my 72 and it works like a charm.

OP
OP
K

koolkris

i have all my parts ready to go and a friend told me i should put rag joint or callapsible shaft in to compensate for frame flex? when you say for safty i assume u mean in case of a wreck ?

70_Steve

Old Guy
... i should put rag joint or callapsible shaft in to compensate for frame flex? when you say for safty i assume u mean in case of a wreck ?
Don't think the frame flex is an issue. The collapsible shaft is supposed to be a safety item. Think getting the steering shaft in the middle of your chest... But, practically speaking there's a lot of other non-movable stuff in our Bronco's that will do just as much damage. Best bet is to wear seat belts!

I used a collapsible shaft (double D, DD, etc) from some mid-70s Chebby. lower was 3/4"OD and the upper was 3/4ID. Used a short piece of the stock 3/4 shaft to splice to the upper u-joint. Got a local welding shop to heli-arc it all together.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BC sells splined shafts and joints (cheap) if you want to forego the cost of the collapsible shaft.
I bought the WH collapsible shaft for it's idiot proof install and safety. Oh and it is plated for corrosion resistance.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Your plan will work fine. I have been running my '69 that way for nearly 15 years.

l.jpg

Krawlin5

koolkris did you get your box mounted yet how did you do it post some pics

OP
OP
K

koolkris

i made a template and bolted it to my box, my friend has a small machine shop, he used a end mill to follow my template holes, it turned out very clean!!! i would love to post pics but i don't know how, i think my pics are to large ???