• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering hose fitting size?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the same gearbox. Internals is whats changed.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

I never converted one to a 4x4x2. I thought when changing the worm gear the housing piece where the hoses screw in change with it?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im Busted... I should of said same fitting. 5/16 inverted fare like both gearboxes.

Edit. I should clarify that Ive not done the conversion either but i did test fit my -an fitting on both gearboxes.

Eugene

Last edited:

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for the confusion. They are obviously different gearboxes and I get too vague on the descriptions the older I get.

Eugene

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Well I got the hose in the mail last week and the fitting on the gear box side does not fit. Called BCB to get the right fitting sent out to me but they sent the same one that came with the hose the first time.

Does anyone know what size the fitting is on the gear box high pressure side? This way I can call BCB and get the right one.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

I did some research and the fitting size is 5/16 inverted flare. I guess they are just sending me the wrong size. Looks more like 1/2 inverted. So I'm thinking the 4x2 box pressure port is 1/2 inverted.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think you are mixing/confusing line size with fitting size. Off the top of my head, 5/16 line uses a nut with 1/2" threads. And that isn't even the wrench size either.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If it is Inverted Flare in the box then a fine thread bolt will screw into it. Figure out which bolt gently screws in by hand and then you'll know which thread size you're dealing with.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To add even more confusion. Some companies describe their fitting by tubing size verses thread size and some does other way. If your doing a -AN fitting, it's going to be 5/16" IF with 1/2-20" thread. That's generally what I find for adapters. I do get my adapters from hydratech. They work on the sizing they list.

edit: broncobowsher beat me too it.

Eugene

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Not all tube sizes have a single Inverted Flare thread size. This is more true in brake plumbing tube sizes than elsewhere. There is a standard tube nut thread size for any given tube size, and then there can be alternate thread sizes (always bigger than the standard size) and/or tube nuts with a larger than standard wrench hex. The wrench hex is never smaller than the thread OD, but they can be the same size.

With Inverted Flare fittings the tube nut threads are always SAE/UNF fine bolt threads. Same is true of AN fitting threads, but no one ever calls out an AN fitting by its thread size, only by it's dash number.

Most vendors used to dealing with AN adapters know the related threads for a given tube size. If you can't say to the vendor "Inverted flare with 5/16" fine threads to -6AN" and have them understand what you need then call someone else. As it happens Orme Bros. has been one of the best at this that I've ever dealt with.