• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Rebuild Experience

bgott

Trying to get some idea of the experience others have had with rebuilding their own PS gear. I've got the factory box in a 77 Bronco that I just finally got road worthy (more to come on that in the build thread) and I knew it was leaking beforehand, but after the first drive it's evident it's going to have to be completely gone through. Its not as firm as I want it to be, it leaks, etc.

Before I jump into it I want to see what others have been through as I feel I'm a competent mechanic, but never worked on one of these and if its some extremely painful process I just assume send it out. If you have done this before, let me know your experience and if there are any potential unforeseen issues I can expect to face. Thanks.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
It's not too bad, and plenty of how to documents and videos. Physically, the hardest part for me was getting the rack piston & power valve back into the case without wreaking the teflon seals. I had to order a new seal after accidentally shaving some of the seal off trying to get the pistons back into place.

I ended up measuring the rack piston ball diameters as the colors weren't very distinct from one another. I didn't want to have issues because not alternating the balls properly.

If you get uncomfortable, you can always send the parts in for a professional rebuild.

Edit: Looks like I included some pages for the rebuild on my old build thread, the photos are gone though.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/rebuild-bronco-the-debilitated.262265/post-2894959

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i've resealed 2 77 ps boxes last month. it took me 3 seal kits as i screwed up on the 1st try..

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Toughest part is the Teflon seals. I used two kits like everyone else. Found that a piston ring compressor and a fair amount of lube helped with the seals.

Just a note from my 77 box rebuild, the lower sector shaft seals are held in with a snap ring. I popped that ring and seal pulling into my driveway. Seems I had 45 years of crude in the slot for the ring. I took a dremel with a cut off wheel and clean the slot, no problems seating the ring. Messy job job installed on the rig.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Trying to get some idea of the experience others have had with rebuilding their own PS gear. I've got the factory box in a 77 Bronco that I just finally got road worthy (more to come on that in the build thread) and I knew it was leaking beforehand, but after the first drive it's evident it's going to have to be completely gone through. Its not as firm as I want it to be, it leaks, etc.

Before I jump into it I want to see what others have been through as I feel I'm a competent mechanic, but never worked on one of these and if its some extremely painful process I just assume send it out. If you have done this before, let me know your experience and if there are any potential unforeseen issues I can expect to face. Thanks.

bgott, I didn't rebuild my own, but had it done at a steering gear shop in Portland OR.​

Since the worm gear was worn, they actually used larger recirculating balls. Those aren't included in the rebuild kits.
Also, this was the original box on my '77. I had had the front end repaired years ago and they evidently used a hammer to remove the pitman arm. They smacked the outside of the bearing journal making it difficult to remove the bearing race. They had to hone that bore to press in the race. The guy told me that this was typical and many of these valuable boxes are ruined this way. So use a proper puller!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I consider myself very mechanically inclined w/ rebuilt engines, transmissions and rear ends plus a wide array of electrical and mechanical projects. However the Bronco P/S box got me and I had it pretty well jammed up when I attempted to rebuild it. Viperwolf1 rebuilt it correctly and it has worked great ever since.

OP
OP
B

bgott

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't expect that many replies! As it seems it's a bit of a mixed bag I am going to try it. Worst case I'm out $40 for the seal kit and most of that could be used by the vendor to rebuild worst case.

I'll post back when I have something!

Hallboss

Contributor
Loc.
PNW

bgott, I didn't rebuild my own, but had it done at a steering gear shop in Portland OR.​

Since the worm gear was worn, they actually used larger recirculating balls. Those aren't included in the rebuild kits.
Also, this was the original box on my '77. I had had the front end repaired years ago and they evidently used a hammer to remove the pitman arm. They smacked the outside of the bearing journal making it difficult to remove the bearing race. They had to hone that bore to press in the race. The guy told me that this was typical and many of these valuable boxes are ruined this way. So use a proper puller!
Were you satisfied with the place in Portland? If so, would you mind giving me the name? Need to get mine rebuild somewhere in the PNW. Thanks!