• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering sector shaft seal question

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My 73-74 power steering box has been leaking from the sector shaft seal for a looooong time so today I decided to pull the seal out and replace it. In the order in which I removed the parts once the pitman arm was off

snap ring
washer
seal (more like a rubber washer)
lip seal with the open end facing into the box

When I look at the repair kit it includes two washers, two seals and a snap ring. Do I need this second washer? Is it included because the new seals are not the same thickness as the old seals? The stack of seals and washer was right up against the snap ring not sure how it would fit. It appears to be all 100% OEM.

My sector shaft looked good I am hoping the seal dried out. The used box sat in a container for 10-15 years before I installed it. No play in the sector shaft at all.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Should be 2 seals and 2 washers. The single lip seal goes in first with the lip in. Then a washer and the 2nd seal, then washer. Don't worry if the seals are pressed in too far below the snap ring. The box pressure will push them out to the ring.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thank you sir.

FYI I learned a neat trick to get the old seal out. Drill a 1/8 hole in two places through the seal then thread drywall screws into the holes. The screws bottom out and jack the seal out. I ended up yanking screws with a slide hammer and it popped them out.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I tried to put the seals in tonight. Reminder this is on the truck fully assembled.

I tapped the inner seal it with a piece or pipe. I had to hammer it very hard to drive it up in there enough to make enough room for the washer and then the second seal and washer and be able to get the snap ring on. When I put the second seal and washer in place I finally used my head. I cut a piece of pipe short enough that the sector shaft stuck out. I then put the lock washer and nut on and tightened it down slowly driving the whole package of seals and washers into place. I am hoping the seal was not deformed from having to pound on it to get it way up in there. I'll know tomorrow when I start it up.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Well that did not work leaks when I turn the wheel. I am going to try again using my new seal installer idea that finally seated the outer seal.

Advance Auto #8766 if need it.

Both of my old seals had the lip facing in is that correct?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Lips and open side of seal toward inside of box. There is also an outer lip on the outside seal.

If it still leaks there's a possibility that the shaft is pitted or grooved. You could use extra washers to move the seals further up the shaft.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I bought another seal kit from Advance for $14. This time I took the snap ring out and used the pressure of the pump to push the seal out that as much easier. Guess what was in there? Not two seals but three. I have to assume when I was yanking the seals out the hard way and tearing them to pieces I did not get the upper seal. Ooops.

Cleaned everything up, greased the seals and pressed them into place with a piece of pipe using the pitman arm nut to drive them into position including the washers. Easy only took a few minutes.

No leaks yet!

Thanks!