• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Preparing to drop Transmission/Transfer Case How High to Raise Vehicle to Get Out

oliv3rcle

Preparing to remove my transmission (3 speed floor shift) from my 302 to replace the clutch and rear main seal from my 71 Bronco Stock Height.

I plan to put the whole vehicle on 4 jacks stands and its time for some new jack stands anyway (Harbor Freight).

Besides as high as possible what height is required to get the transmission and transfer case out. Guess the smart answer would be bell housing plus height of transmission jack.

Did everyone just put their jack stands as high as they can go? And any recommendation on stands that worked well and provided the necessary height?

Timstrk

HF 6 ton jack stands will give you ample height under the the truck when placed under the axles. You will be able to sit under the truck with them all the way up.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Only problem is getting it out from under the bronco. With a 3 1/2" suspension and 35s it rolls out on the floor Jack with the tranny attachment no problem. Before the 35s I think I had to take the tranny off the floor Jack set up to get it out from underneath the bronco. Both times were with the t-case attached.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Your jack that your using to support the trans/Tc will be limiting factor if the truck is to high the jack fully extended not high enough could be an issue...also you'll want to support engine as well recommend bottle jack under oil pan for ability to adjust during reinstall

Jfryjfry

The small block fords are pretty balanced on just the motor mounts. I have pulled the transmission off and just left it and never had a problem. Putting a support under the back of the pan wouldn’t hurt but likely wouldn’t hurt by not having it either.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did just opposite, took front wheels off, lowered front, raised back as necessary then lifted motor and tranny out. d20 already off and not seeing how to do it all as one, no way to balance with d20 on.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've never jacked one up to remove a clutch and transmission. Even at stock height I just left it on the tires and got under there and did the work.
As mentioned that probably does make it easier when using a floor jack as your weapon-of-choice.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that if you separate the transfer case from the transmission that you LOCK THE TRANSMISSION IN FIRST GEAR!

Been a few discussions about that recently.

Paul

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
How high you 'set/jack stand' your Bronco may be limited to the lifting height of your removal jacking system. You may need to disconnect and lower your trans assembly, then raise your Bronco to get it out, You can use an engine puller on either front or rear bumper to achieve the extra lift.
Hope this helps.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
First, you have to figure out how you plan to do the job?? Meaning, laying on the ground or sitting up under it.

So if you're going to lay under there and have the jack do all the work, then within the upper limits of the jack range.

If you plan to sit under there and do some heavy lifting, then high enough to sit under there.

I usually do the heavy lifting style and drop stuff down to the ground and roll/push/drag in/out from under the rig. In which case, being able to sit upright makes a huge difference.

I'm getting older, but not smarter. I probably need a better trans jack...
HTH, Joe

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock height on 31s I could slide the transmission and transfer case in and out without lifting the Bronco.

But if you are planning on a rear main, if the engine is stock the oil pan has to come off. At that point my suggestion is pull engine/trans/transfer as one package out of the hood. Separate on the ground. I found the repair goes smoother and less chance of making a mistake. It is a little more grunt work, but makes the stuff that really matters a lot easier.