• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pro jection 2d and setting timing

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
I have a pro jection 2D on my 302. I'm stumped as to why it will not start or idle. I replaced the TPS and set it to .65 volts. Fuel tanks were just cleaned and new sending units put in. It started and idled perfect one time so I let it run until it ran out of fuel and now it will start and run rough then die. What do I do next?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Being a 2D system you are looking at about a 20 year old aftermarket EFI. No self diagnosis capability either. The list of potential problems is nearly limitless. While the 2D was a better system than the prior analog, it is still very crudes and lacks O2 sensors for feedback. I would be recommending retiring the system.

But while playing around with it, look at the MAP sensor. I think those were external. Make sure the vacuum hose is still attached and in good shape.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about a fuel pressure check too? Was the pump brand new when you let it run through the fuel?
I used to do that all the time with the mechanical pumps, but would not do that with electrical for fear of damaging the pump. Sure, it happens in the real world too, but I've heard that new pumps are more susceptible.
It was a huge deal in the late eighties when owners would let their new Buicks run out of gas. If the pump had more than 10k miles on it, most survived. But if it was almost brand new still, it was a $400 fix back then!

Of course the ignition modules for the Grand National were the devil at $700! But luckily they didn't have trouble with them often.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
W

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
Ok, Im back. So ive changed out the return from 5/16 to 3/8, replaced the TPS. It starts right up and idles beautifully. But, after about 10 minutes it dies and will not start until cooled down. I relocated the coil from the intake to eliminate heat, which didnt seem to make much difference. Im running NWMP steel fuel tanks. The main tanks return connection is smaller than 3/8, does that matter?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. A 3/8 feed and 5/16 return is pretty standard stuff.
In fact, many modern engines use the smaller 5/16" for feed lines too!

I don't see how changing the return line to a larger one would help get the engine running. Seems like you may have bumped something else at the same time? I suppose making that change could have somehow reduced fuel pressure at the injectors, but not sure by how much, or if that would in any way effect a run/no-run situation.

A this point the only thing that's not optimal about a 3/8" hose on a 5/16" fitting is getting the hose to seal without crimping it so tight that the clamp tears the rubber.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
The main reason for going to a 3/8 return is to ensure zero fuel pressure in the return line which the old pro jections didn't like and created a flood condition with any pressure at all in the return line. Unfortunately there isn't anyone at Holley anymore that can help out with these old systems.
The root problem I'm trying to fix is the engine dies after 5-10 minutes of normal idling and will not start again.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Once it dies, check for spark. I use a cheap HF spark checker. Works great.

If you have spark I would then check the fuel pump/pressure......

Thanks