• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "Bom Chicka Wah Wah!!"

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Nice work. It is fun to follow these builds. Gives me motivation to get off my lazy a$$ this weekend and do some mods that have been sitting on my tool bench for 2 months.. :)

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
New bumper and Raptor Soft Top

I trimmed 4.5" on either side of a stock bumper and painted it silver.

Also purchased and installed a new Raptor soft top. It was a tight fit with my custom cage but I made it work and overall am pretty well pleased with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 127

bronco16

Loc.
Kelowna B.C.Canada
That is a sweet Bronco. I luv the roll pan look. I think I'm gonna steal that for my luber project, but do a slight mod. I was thinking I would take it to a local company with a water jet and get them to cut out Bronco in the center and then install some sort of light behind it and use it as a third brake light. Do you think there is enough room between the tank and roll pan to mount a light??

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
That is a sweet Bronco. I luv the roll pan look. I think I'm gonna steal that for my luber project, but do a slight mod. I was thinking I would take it to a local company with a water jet and get them to cut out Bronco in the center and then install some sort of light behind it and use it as a third brake light. Do you think there is enough room between the tank and roll pan to mount a light??

Sounds great but here's a different idea for ya.

You can get the same roll pan from LMC with a frenched licence plate. You could do that, then shave off the tailgate's plate mount and then swap the tailgate handle from the outside to the inside then get a 3rd brake like from a new ford focus and graft that in where the tailgate handle used to be. Now THAT would be nice!!!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Spring is coming!

I got bit hard by the Bronco Bug the last month and haven't updated this thread in a couple of months - well spring fever has set in so lets get on with it...

Upgrades currently in progress:

New 3 Core Aluminum Radiator (FYI requires 4 core mounts) - INSTALLED
New Overflow Bottle - INSTALLED
New 3G 105a Alternator - INSTALLED
New Door Speakers: INSTALLED - Sony Xplod 6.5" 3 ways
Rear View Mirror with map lights: INSTALLED - from 92 Blazer

For the soon to be future:

Replace the Cherry Bomb side exit exhaust with something quieter and with rear exit. - TBD

Attachments

• map lights.jpg
    map lights.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Door Speakers.jpg
    Door Speakers.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Alternator.jpg
    Alternator.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 58
  • overflow bottle.jpg
    overflow bottle.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Alum Rad.jpg
    Alum Rad.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
looking good Thomas, we need to take a ride next time

Buckin460

Loc.
Kingsford
Hey thanks for the comments on my 460 build!! Your bronco is Kick Ass!! Nice job i hope mine comes out looking half as nice as yours

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Radiator Air Dam

Built a quick radiator air dam - total cost: $12.00

(1) Bought two sheets of galvanized sheet metal from Home Depot - got this in the duct section, it already had one bend in it. $5.93 a sheet. You need at least 45" of length - I picked up two 36" sheets so I have lots of scrap. Its not stainless but it'll do for now.

(2) Cut it down to size, a little trimming here and there. I just used a standard set of tin snips.

(3) My make shift brake - bends came out pretty good.

(4) Fit and trim - you can see some of the jagged edges

(5) Used a small piece of aluminum L channel to cap off the ends and make it look a little better. If I had access to a real break and could make cleaner cuts it would have looked better.

Not bad for 45 min of work.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 120

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I really like the air dam idea. Does it make much of a difference? I may need to give this a try.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I really like the air dam idea. Does it make much of a difference? I may need to give this a try.

The air dam is supposed to reduce the amount of hot engine air that recirculates under the hood during stopped or slow going. This is supposed to force more cool, outside air into the radiator which should keep things cooler overall.

Yeah the air damn looks really good and so does the rest of the bronco!

Thanks! ;D;D;D

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
HIDs and Projector Headlights

I purchased a set of H4 6000k HID dual filament bulbs (high beam/low beam) and a set of 7" black projector headlights off of eBay. The HIDs were about $60 and the headlights $30.

The HID kit came with a very nice harness which plugs in directly to the stock harness and is very easy to install - one lead to the battery and a couple of grounds and you're all set. These only pull 35W and use a separate relay so their are no worries on burning up your headlight switch or melting any wires.

The headlights include a built in projector that I had high hopes of doing a better job of providing a cut off but as you'll see in the pics, that didn't happen.

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade. For less than $100 its a nice project.

Onto the pics - you'll see in the garage door picture that there is not a good cutoff for these lights, ideally youd want a horizontal line about hood-height that helps to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. To try and combat this I've aimed my lights downward and inward.

There are a couple of options for getting a true "cutoff" with these lights but they require spending $800+ on a set of true projector headlights or cutting and retrofitting an aftermarket or OEM projector from a true HID enabled vehicle. I might try the latter if I can get my hands on a set of projectors from an Acrua TL or the like....

One more note - the 6000K seems to be the right "color". A nice BRIGHT white with just a small tint of blue in it.

Attachments

• HID kit.jpg
    HID kit.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 92
  • blk headlights.jpg
    blk headlights.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 102
  • new headlights.jpg
    new headlights.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 140
  • HID 1.jpg
    HID 1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 125
  • garage door.jpg
    garage door.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 107
  • HID 2.jpg
    HID 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

msweb

Bronco Guru
I like it. Makes me want to get some and tint the lens around the projector red for the evil eye look.

So everything just plugs in? And noticably brighter than the standard out-dated halogens from the looks of it. How long did the swap take? Are the lenses plastic or glass?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the lights adjusted down like that, do you still have lots of light on the road? Or did you have to compromise a bit between seeing and being seen? That beam pattern looks practically like a driving light! Which is why I'm curious.
With that much output though, perhaps you got lucky and have lots of light even with the lack of width and cutoff.
Been driving much at night since the change?

How far have you gotten in your search for different lens/reflector assemblies? With the money you saved with this kit (great price!), you can certainly justify experimenting with something out of another vehicle or aftermarket kit. The hard part I guess is going to be finding a true drop-in assembly for the Bronco's shallow buckets. Even some standard H4 replacements don't fit well.
Hopefully there is something out there that is appropriate for an HID and a Bronco.

Did you already have to remove any material from behind the lights for these to fit?

Good luck.

Paul