• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Q about pin hole in radiator

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
I must have poped a pin hole in the radiator, toward the fan, while pulling the power steering pump off. I was wonder if it would be possible to repair it with a torch and some lead. Just basically solder it up.
Never really had any cooling issues with it, so if I can fix it like this I'll save some $. It's the original radiator so I am assuming copper/brass so I am wondering if the thing will radiate enough heat to soften the lead and push it back out.

Q 2 is does anyone sell a drop in replacement? Need one with the tranny cooler in it.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
If you can solder and think you can get it perfecty clean then try it...dont get anything too hot otherwise you will have more leaks. Try to isolate the heat with wet rags. I have done a few repairs that worked fine.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Scrub/sand it shiny, and go for it, make sure you use solder for radiators
and I prefer propane over Mapp gas as the mapp gas get too hot too quick.

You will have to drain the rad, and prolly remove it as well to get to where you need.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
If all else fails, throw a fresh egg at the hole while its hot. That will do the trick! The radiator additives for leaks is not a wise choice. I used some putty type stuff thats soft and hardends on the out side like a rock. Still holds years later...

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
roundhouse said:
Scrub/sand it shiny, and go for it, make sure you use solder for radiators
and I prefer propane over Mapp gas as the mapp gas get too hot too quick.

You will have to drain the rad, and prolly remove it as well to get to where you need.
What he said plus the solder your looking for is acid core solder. Drain the radiator a few inches below the hole. Heat it up with a propane torch. That will loosen up any paint and crud and burn off any near by coolant inside. Get a brass wire brush and scrub it clean. Put a little flux on the area to fill. Heat it up with the solder near by most of the heat going to the radiator and melt the solder on. It should be pretty easy to melt if you get lead acid core solder.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have heard of old timers putting ground black pepper in the coolant for pin hole leaks. Never tried it myself.

Jeff

yardegg

Listen To Ken

Tired of reading BS make sure you use flux like Ken said. I've repaired more
radiator's that way tha you can shake a stick at !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
68 Broncoholic said:
If all else fails, throw a fresh egg at the hole while its hot. That will do the trick! The radiator additives for leaks is not a wise choice. I used some putty type stuff thats soft and hardends on the out side like a rock. Still holds years later...
egg white only, not the yolk.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Black pepper & eggs worked in high school but I wouldnt do it now. Will definetly get you home though. Dont know about eggs in antifreeze either, never tried it

cynrays

I let a high speed grinder get into my radiator and cut a hole the size of a match stem. I used liquid glass and never did have any more trouble out of it.You can get any number of radiator stop leaks and they will work...