• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Qjet Adapter troubles....

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
ok, I have a qjet from BC, and the adapter....but I can't seem to figure out how to bolt the adapter down!

I have an edelbrock intake, and I have the studs in the right place, but the "ears" next to the bolt holes on the carb make it impossible to get nuts on the studs!

Does anyone know what I am talking about? How is this supposed to be done? Am I just an idiot?

Mrcat88

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
There are 4 phillips screws that go on the outside sunk holes in the adapter. The hex head bolts will come up from the bottom (long ones in front--unless you are mounting the carb backward).

You kind of have to do a Michael Jordon basketball grip on all four of those bolts as you place the adapter down onto the intake. They are sunk too, but from underneath and you have to have them in there when you put the adapter down on the intake.

Screw the phillips screws in. Put another gasket on top and then your carb. Have fun and enjoy your Qjet!

OP
OP
M

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
ok!
Thanks guys, I found those screws....I just didn't see them before. I have everything hooked up and it works ok, but there is another problem.....

I have a 351W with an edelbrock made for EGR. Where the carb mounts, on the passenger side, there is a hole about the size of a dime that I think was there for heating the choke tubes, or some other EGR BS. The new adapter covers everything except about 1/8" of that hole. I get a nasty exhaust tick from that hole, but it goes away at higher RPMs. Am I correct in thinking that this hole is just for EGR, and I don't need it anymore? I figure I have 3 options.....

1. Try to shove some putty type sealant into that hole, and just plug it up. It is not very high pressure, so I think that might work.

2. I have this "alumaweld" stuff....it's like a welding rod, but made for repairing aluminum, and I could get up there and plug the hole with that, I'm sure. if I mess up the surface while I'm doing it, I will be screwed.

3. New Intake (NOT an option....I am poor.)

Has anyone else had this problem? What did they do about it? Maybe mounting the carb backwards will give me enough meat on the adapter to cover it?

You can see the intake I'm tal;king about on Edelbrock's website, part number 3781. It's a 351W intake for EGR (I bought this one because I had the 2bbl carb at the time, and it comes with the adapter plate)

HELP!!!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
There is a block off plate made for just that purpose. Try Summit or a local speed shop. Your typical parts stoer won't carry anything that might be considered tampering with emissions.

OP
OP
M

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
I think you mean the block off plate for the choke heat tubes....not that.

This is actually under the carb. It is on the mounting surface of the carb itself. The new adapter covers most of it, but leaves just a little uncovered. I don't think I can get a block off plate to go there, but I'll look.

Thanks!
Mrcat88

jaroh

I had the same gap on my eldebrok intake manifold. I ordered a spacer/block off plate from elderbrok. for now it seems to be doing an alright job of blocking it off. I am still kind of leary of the gasket though. I need to check it out to see if it has burned a hole in it.

Duane

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
mrcat88 said:
I think you mean the block off plate for the choke heat tubes....not that.

This is actually under the carb. It is on the mounting surface of the carb itself. The new adapter covers most of it, but leaves just a little uncovered. I don't think I can get a block off plate to go there, but I'll look.

Thanks!
Mrcat88

I had the same problem with mine. I ended up getting a new manifold instead of having to stack two adaper plates under the carb. The manifolds are pretty cheap. Picked mine up at Kragens for $158. IF Anyone needs a edelbrock 351 intake with an EGR port and spacer I've got one sitting on the shelf.

OP
OP
M

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
so far, I've squirted some gasket seal crap over the hole, and it seems to be doing the trick. If it works, I don't see a reason to bother with it more. I'll make sure it's working before I call it good.

Although I would love to just get a new intake, it's not an option. Being poor sucks, but sucks even more with an EB ;D

Mrcat88