• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Qjet

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Thank you everyone for your replies. So $500 is a good price? I have seen some for less but not sure if they are the right model or ready to install , I'm sure that is part of the price. Carburetor Unlimited (Bruce) is the guy I talked to. He sounds very knowledgeable. I wanted to see what place was recommended and glad to hear without mentioning it that Bruce is the guy. Is there a specific model # to make sure and get? I know the carb comes ready to install but are they all adjustable? Bronco italiano how much for your offy and where are you from for shipping? Bruce said he has an adapter for $40. But reading some comments not having an adapter is one less gasket to fail, depending on how much the manifold cost , would that extra gasket be that big of a deal/worth it not having to deal with an adapter? I'm on a budget. If anyone lives in the LA/OC area that could assist with the installation, please let me know.

If I left anything out that I didn't ask or should know, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for everyone's time/help,

Sonny
Seeing you're local to me there's a guy over here in lawndale some buddies of mine swear buy for setting up carbs. I think they said he's real good with q-jets. I can try and get his name if you want. He's right across the street from the old south bay 4wp location.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
He is 83 years old and busier than ever. A true perfectionist as he really wanted to tune the carb/dizzy at his place. I wished I was closer. That being said, Sean Murphy has a very good reputation (Sean Murphy Induction) and am sure he built me a very nice q-jet for my application. There is an old school racer/mechanic in Stockton that I will have do the initial start-up and tune my motor
Tuning for the street & tuning for on/off road are different animals so you might ask Sean Murphy-not that you want to "steal" his specific tuning tricks but what does he do to the qjet to help it perform off road?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another plug for Carbs Unlimited, he will build to your engine, not some stock output, and $600 is really fair seeing I bought mine for $650 some 10 years ago, but he did build me one of his last Qjets with manual altitude compensation mixture adjustment. Then dialed it in on his 350. ie, I live in Payson, I can turn a screw a 1/4 turn and lean it to run great. I'v e treated mine horribly, and starts first turn every start. It sits in garage for it's yearly engine run, starts right up.

I went to him with a Holley truck avenger new in the box and he said for the money I spent having him fix the avenger, he built me what looked like a brand new 1980's Qjet, no regerts.

As for carb spacers and gasket worry, unless you have hood clearance issue, don't worry, you won't "blow" a carb intake gasket... I have the spacer like you show and a phenolic 1/2 inch to remove heat from carb area and an aluminum shield, so whats that, 4 gaskets? Not a problem.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Jet Performance QJets on both Broncos... 408W and 393Clevor

Attachments

• 243174308_10220671706528664_3004094216696202980_n.jpg
    243174308_10220671706528664_3004094216696202980_n.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Bronco Italiano, if your still watching this thread, I sent you a message the other day, not sure if you received it.

Sonny

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I ended up purchasing my Qjet from (Bruce) Carburetors Unlimited in Arizona. He said it's about a 2 week build time so I am still waiting for it. While talking with Bruce I found out that there are a couple different options, such as one has only (02) adjustable screws and another carb has (03). I'm still learning s not sure if it's really necessary to have the 3rd one but I figured for a little extra money I can just get it now instead of "wishing " I had bought it the first time.

I am excited/anxious about this purchase as it is not cheap but hopefully a GOOD BUY. I have done a lot of research and read a lot of good things about Bruce. I just wish I could have purchased the Offenhauser manifold people have recommended but out of my price range/budget. I will be using an old Edlebrock manifold.

I will post an update when I get everything installed.

If your in the LA/OC and have experience installing a Qjet I would love some assistance, BBQ and Beverages will be provided.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Anyone know the tightening sequence and torque specs for the manifold and carb?

While I am asking questions, what spark plugs (and what gap are you running) and what spark plug wires (size)? I read people like the ford performance 9, but looking into it , it looks like those are for EFI engines ??

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Go to Summit's site for torque spec's & pattern. Believe it or not, I found 3 sites on FB with incorrect torque values and one had the wrong pattern. Like the news, FB can't get anything right 1/2 the time.

Summit also has a great set of low ohm 8.5mm wires. You can put whatever end your distributor(s) need.

Plug gap? What the book says. Motorcraft plugs

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
crisscross tightening process. I've done it so many times that I do it by feel. 35lb torque is simple tighten with you combo wrench.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
So i found this . The manifold on the instructions is not the manifold I have. Just confirming the pattern and specs listed will be the same?

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702-101459_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702-101459_Drive.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230702_155051.jpg
    20230702_155051.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230702_155210.jpg
    20230702_155210.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 7