• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about attachment of trans cooler lines to radiator

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Since I removed the lines a few years ago to go with a remote cooler with thermostatically controlled fan, the upper and lower radiator connections for the automatic transmission hard lines on my stock brass radiator are capped. Now that I would like to reconnect that line and bring the radiator back into the transmission cooling circuit, I can't remember what the fittings looked like.

What I don't recall is what the fittings should be on the radiator. There are two plugged fittings on the radiator now. Do I need an adapter to go from the threads in the radiator to the nut and flare on the hard lines at the radiator end? I honestly don't recall what the original fittings looked like! I got the stock cooler lines, but what are the fittings on the radiator?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ports in the radiator are going to be pipe thread, probably 1/4". The stock lines are 5/16" so you would need a 1/4" male pipe to 5/16" flare fitting.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks, Phil. We will see what happens. Hopefully when I pull those plugs out of the radiator antifreeze doesn't pore out. The problem with getting old is you forget MORE than half of what you use to know.%)

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'm fairly certain this is the factory fitting that was used. It's been a while since I've seen one in place, but lots of Fords use this same fitting.

I've heard/read the radiator side is straight thread, but I have successfully used 1/8" npt tapered(pipe thread) fittings in the radiator to plug the ports. The line side is single flare. I almost think I've seen one with cap and ferrule connection on the line side, but I'm not sure. Hope this picture helps.

Attachments

• rad-fitting.jpg
    rad-fitting.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 26