• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about installing my transfer case

Razorbackbronco

When I yanked out the drive train I pulled the motor, tranny and t case all together. I have already put the engine and tranny back in and now I'm finished with the t case so it's time for it to go back.

I've never installed a t case by itself and was wondering if I should mount the crossmember to the case and then lift it into place or is it easier to lift the case and then bolt up the crossmember?

On a side note look at the picture and find the problem with my brand new power brake kit!
13632ae5eda26a179af164df114ae550.jpg

tacobronco

Not sure what combo you have, but usually the cross member mounts to the adapter between the trans and tcase, so easiest to install trans + adapter, support it with the cross member, then add the tcase.

ren71

are you referring to the master cylinder ports exiting the driver side side? This isn't a problem, I actually prefer it this way, leaves more room for spark plug changes, exhaust manifold gasket changes, steering shaft installation/inspection , shifter linkage adjustments, reverse switch adjustments, adding wiring etc. Why crowd the passenger side when there's tons of unused room on the driver's side.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
With the C4/Dana 20, I have found it easier to put up the adapter, 20 and cross member all at one time. Leave angle brackets on the frame. Lift the unit up and rest it on the angle brackets. Align the splines on the shaft and slide it home and bolt it up.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The crossmember will be in the way when you go to bolt the tcase in. Support the bottom of the trans then install the tcase. Do the tcase shifter then add the crossmember.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
You cannot get it in with the crossmember attached unless you remove the crossmember brackets on the frame then it is a pain to get the brackets back in. Get two ratchet straps and put them across the frame rails leave them a little loose like a hammock and put the t case in that. Then you can adjust the straps to bring it up even and spline the shaft.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I guess my Bronco must be different...I put the adapter housing on the t-case, then the cross member on. Used a trans jack to lift it onto the angle brackets and then slid it home. 1st time had friends help, last time did it solo...what ever works for ya.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you install the t-case after the trans and adapter are in place make two studs about 2 1/2" long and screw them into the adapter. Then when you are wrestling to get the t-case in place the studs help align it and give you something to hang the t-case while trying to get it install.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

are you referring to the master cylinder ports exiting the driver side side? This isn't a problem, I actually prefer it this way, leaves more room for spark plug changes, exhaust manifold gasket changes, steering shaft installation/inspection , shifter linkage adjustments, reverse switch adjustments, adding wiring etc. Why crowd the passenger side when there's tons of unused room on the driver's side.

I see what your saying but the stainless lines I have are made for a passenger side exit master. I'm afraid to if I try to bend them around to fit they will kink. But if you had the stock style rubber lines then I think it would work well.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

I've currently got my c4 supported hammock style with a ratchet strap. I like the idea of screwing in stubs to help with the alignment but I have the adaptor bolted to the t case. Think I should unbolt and put on the tranny first or would it be just as easy to install it while attached to the t case?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Did this just last night .... C4 mated to motor and supported by Jack . I had adapter mounted to T case then bolted crossmember . I got it up to rest on the crossmember brackets and slid into place. Then I told my son " I'm getting too old for this @#%£"