• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions on 4 Links

rooster4089

Loc.
Dothan Alabama
I understand that a 4 link centers the axle housing and controls movement front to rear also. I see alot of rigs that don't use a 4 link in the front. Why are they staying with the trac bar in the front? Does it center the front end better? Or are there other issues that plaque the front end? Also, I am planning on 4 linking my 76 bronco are there any general rules or calculations that I need to know. Where are some good places to start looking at this information. I have made enough mistakes while building, this isn't a mistake I want to make.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Go over to Pirate and search, tons of info there. Just don't post up in the Gen4X4 forum unless you want a pummeling. While you're there look for the 4-link calculator, then study up on it.

As for why people don't usually link the front, its mostly due to steering geometry. Unless you go full hydro, the axle travel needs to match the steering travel or you'll get terrible bumpsteer. That's why people always say you need to keep the trac bar and drag link closely matched in angle, length, etc. With a triangulated 4-link or wishbone 3-link, the axle moves straight up and down as the suspension cycles, but the end of the drag link travels in an arc, creating bumpsteer. The trac bar makes the axle travel in an arc too, keeping it in phase with the drag link. To avoid this with a triangulated 4-link, you have to either go full hydro or add more linkages and bellcranks to the steering setup. Since the radius arms and trac bar work reasonably well with long arms, wristed arms, WAH, etc., most folks keep it that way and call it good. You can do an asymetric 3-link (2 links on one side, one link on the other, with a track bar) and get great flex although many who've done this find they also need a sway bar to control body roll. Hey you're in Dothan AL, mosey on over to BTF and you can learn all you want about linked suspensions.

Dusty

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I studied and studied on 4 links, but it's one of those things that the more I studied it the more confused I got. The sky is the limit when it comes to a linked suspension - angles, lengths, joints, coils vs. coilovers, etc.

I agree with Dusty - do some surfing on Pirate and check out the 4 link calculator. Let us know what you decide to do.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I studied and studied on 4 links, but it's one of those things that the more I studied it the more confused I got. The sky is the limit when it comes to a linked suspension - angles, lengths, joints, coils vs. coilovers, etc.

I agree with Dusty - do some surfing on Pirate and check out the 4 link calculator. Let us know what you decide to do.

Yeah, it can get confusing. I kept doing the same thing, and a buddy of mine finally said, eventually you gotta cut some links, lets make this thing and see if it works!

In the end, for a trail rig its pretty hard to screw up, and even for a rig that sees road use, there are SO many tried and true standard setups that work, thats its not that hard anymore...

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it can get confusing. I kept doing the same thing, and a buddy of mine finally said, eventually you gotta cut some links, lets make this thing and see if it works!

In the end, for a trail rig its pretty hard to screw up, and even for a rig that sees road use, there are SO many tried and true standard setups that work, thats its not that hard anymore...

Good Point.. I don't think that any of the original designs turn out just right on the first try. That's the fun of it - trial and error - you can always tweak it later.