• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Racer Project

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
chuck said:
I may not run FI either for the same reasons but I would like to get better mileage. Let me know what SCORE tells you about the FI.
Chuck -- I just got off the phone with SCORE and they gave me the same story -- I also asked the question 3 ways and gave them the scenario that EFI was NOT an option for a '76 Bronco, but I wanted to use the EFI setup from a 2000 model Ford Mustang -- was that ok? -- answer -- YES. As long as it was offered by the manufacturer at some point. Sounds weird, but I don't know how he could have misinterpreted the question. Before I showed up with FI on my truck, I'd get something in an email...but I think it's a go if you wanted to do it.

IronBenderII

We've stretched the wheelbase the SCORE limit (was it 2"), so that impact is minimized. Also consider that the rear driveline is longer than the front and the front, since the whole drivetrain assembly is tilted slightly downhill (toward the rear) is already at a disadvantage. So in truth, the longer drivetrain helps more than it hurts (and in our case affects our rear very little).

Jack

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
I was givin a higher number (HP) consumption by the C6, but even 30 seems big to me. We're thinkin' about a 475-500hp stoked build.

Scott, I tried to confirm my numbers I gave you but couldn't find a solid source to recite. My info was given to me by a friend with vast experience in the hot rod and off-road building. The C-6 has the same weaknesses as the C-4. The planetary set needs to be upgraded to a 6 gear set. The clutch basket needs to be machined to pack more clutches in it, that with a worked manual valvebody and some trick servos will make it gooder. Or you could go to an AOD and drop your ring gear a bit more. I'm sure the C-6's heavier case and other internals would be more reliable but I would find a good tranny builder and ask their opinions. I know of 2, Art Carr and Hughes performance. I know there are others, those are just the ones I can think of off the top.
Your nums were probably right, Alan -- I think alot of that stuff is subjective. If someone has dyno tested the different set-ups, that would be super -- but honestly, I think if we've got 475hp, the consumption of the tranny shouldn't be the deciding factor. It's my humble opinion that this class isn't necessarily won by the fastest, but won the the guy that can keep his truck together while maintaining a good pace! so bulletproof is king, IMO.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
coachbarnes said:
Chuck -- I just got off the phone with SCORE and they gave me the same story -- I also asked the question 3 ways and gave them the scenario that EFI was NOT an option for a '76 Bronco, but I wanted to use the EFI setup from a 2000 model Ford Mustang -- was that ok? -- answer -- YES. As long as it was offered by the manufacturer at some point. Sounds weird, but I don't know how he could have misinterpreted the question. Before I showed up with FI on my truck, I'd get something in an email...but I think it's a go if you wanted to do it.

This reminds of the scene in Patch Adams where Patch is told to hold up his hand and tell how many fingers he sees....
The answer to your question is right in front of you, you just wont look past the Bronco model year 1977. Broncos came with FI 302's and FI 351's. So yes Ford did offer FI from the factory in a Bronco at some point. ;D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
This reminds of the scene in Patch Adams where Patch is told to hold up his hand and tell how many fingers he sees....
The answer to your question is right in front of you, you just wont look past the Bronco model year 1977. Broncos came with FI 302's and FI 351's. So yes Ford did offer FI from the factory in a Bronco at some point. ;D
I think you just called me a clown!?? :p

;D ;D ;D

Alan -- you're a master of stating the obvious -- thanks! might be down next week during the week..trying to finalize plans now ..need to shoot over to Lake Charles and pick up some parts, and if I don't do it next week it will have to wait a couple because I'm headin' up to D.C. the following week (darn day job keeps gettin' in the way of my fun!) -- I'll let you know if/when I'm headin' down. See ya -- Scott

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
coachbarnes said:

;D ;D ;D

Alan -- you're a master of stating the obvious -- thanks! might be down next week during the week..trying to finalize plans now ..need to shoot over to Lake Charles and pick up some parts, and if I don't do it next week it will have to wait a couple because I'm headin' up to D.C. the following week (darn day job keeps gettin' in the way of my fun!) -- I'll let you know if/when I'm headin' down. See ya -- Scott
Simple solutions from a simple man :D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
west texas kid said:
where is rockwall at? may have to make a day or weekend trip to check this thing out

wes
We're East of Dallas about 30 miles - Not much to look at right now, just a stripped down '76 - but you are welcomed at my place anytime. I always have an extra cold Corona in the fridge for an EB guy. :cool:

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
coachbarnes said:

;D ;D ;D

Scott, If you decide to come down next week you can crash here if needed. I know it's only about 4 hours or so but if you wanted or needed to work a different time frame that wouldn't work with just one day, we gots a guest room. Besides, I like showing off my new house. ;D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
!

broncow72 said:
Scott, If you decide to come down next week you can crash here if needed. I know it's only about 4 hours or so but if you wanted or needed to work a different time frame that wouldn't work with just one day, we gots a guest room. Besides, I like showing off my new house. ;D
Mucho Gracias, Amigo -- I'll take you up on your offer if it turns into a multi-day thing -- besides, I need to see the cow in person! Same goes here -- Mi Casa, Su Casa. See ya -- Scott

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
coachbarnes said:
We're East of Dallas about 30 miles - Not much to look at right now, just a stripped down '76 - but you are welcomed at my place anytime. I always have an extra cold Corona in the fridge for an EB guy. :cool:

maybe ill make it out that way sometime, gotta wait til things slow down some here in lubbock first. ill probly just wait til it gets a bit farther into the build stages

wes