• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator fan debacle....

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

What is the age of the engine? Age of water pump? Just curious in the way of adding more details.

When mine was almost all stock (engine bone stock, Bronco lightly modified) it would run all day long at thermostat temp. When I was either on a tight technical trail, or the highway for more than a half an hour or so at 70mph (at 3,000 to 3,500 rpm level just above where yours starts to run hotter it sounds like?), it would creep up 20-25 degrees. Those were the only two times.
Never really found out what would do it, but it never really hurt anything either, since it did not go higher. It did not seem to be cavitation in the pump, but it did get more consistent and creep up over a narrower range after I installed an early Flowkooler water pump.
It could easily have been airflow, being that both situations (low speed and much higher speed) are the bane of a Bronco's aerodynamic happy place). Low speed has the stock fan not moving much air, and high speed building up high-pressure under the vehicle and impeding flow through the radiator. Bronco aero is not your friend usually.

Which is why I was curious what happens when your electric fan comes on at idle. With no load on the engine and good air flow through the radiator, that leans more towards low liquid flow through the radiator. Does it cool down while sitting when you rev the engine up?
And you're sure that, as a pusher, the electric fan is blowing the the correct direction?

Just checking...;)

Paul
The block is an 89, I have no idea on the build date. It was built by RHS out of Memphis, many moons ago it was a reputable builder.

Yes, under idle Rev it would cool down just a bit..

When I bought the rig, the motor hadn't been ran in 10 + years. So I'm expecting a few issues...

Bp

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Fantastic! So the new fan position was all it took? Which fan did you end up using?
My next questions were going to be about air pockets. But that seems to be moot at this point.
You can start crying now, but they may be replaced by tears of joy if it runs good at both extremes and keeps a steady temp.

Congrats!

Paul
Combination of getting rid of the old 16" flex fan and reposition of the rad. I think the fan position now is about as close to recommended as I can get!

Yes, hopefully tomorrow I can get it on the road. Not likely as it's supposed to be a toad strangler here all weekend and I have the too off... lol

New pipes Monday and gear change coming soon!!

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Ok, now looking at the pics, did you only cut the shroud? Or did you reposition the radiator?
Or both?
I cut the top internal hanger guards off to allow for more forward angle.

Then removed the lower brackets, flipped them and attached those to my 2 ton rated angle iron brackets... HA!!

It's all I had laying around!

Bp

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Toad strangler! That's another great one.
But the good thing is that it means more fodder for the BBQ, right?:D;)

Paul

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Fantastic! So the new fan position was all it took? Which fan did you end up using?
My next questions were going to be about air pockets. But that seems to be moot at this point.
You can start crying now, but they may be replaced by tears of joy if it runs good at both extremes and keeps a steady temp.

Congrats!

Paul
Oh, it's a Derale 17" fixed pitch.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Great! glad you got that resolved. Nothing more frustrating than beating issues to suck the fun out of a great day. I so wish I could fit a mechanical fan on mine, it hits the hood lol.

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Great! glad you got that resolved. Nothing more frustrating than beating issues to suck the fun out of a great day. I so wish I could fit a mechanical fan on mine, it hits the hood lol.
Indeed! I may still put a pusher fan on it for giggles...

Bp

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Rain let up, so got to take her for a spin.

Held her at 3k for about 12 miles, never cracked 190...

🙂

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

Was a great day in Arkansas for a coolant system check!!

456 degrees in the shade.... (98 actual 😁). Rig did great, 80 miles on various grades, 205-207 on the straight aways and 213 tops on long grade pulls.

Seems to be cooling ok, still thinking about running a pusher fan just for giggles...

Happy Monday good people!

Bp

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it’s heating up at slow speeds or idle, the pusher fan might come in handy. But if it’s only heating up at higher speeds then the pusher fan is probably just so much plastic that is gonna get in the way.

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

She does like to creep up at idle and town traffic... Cools back down in motion though.

I went ahead and put the pusher back on it last night as I already had it wired up previously through the Sniper.

Think I'll set it to kick on at 205 or 210 and see what that does... Can always take it out if it's counter productive.

Bp

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
She does like to creep up at idle and town traffic... Cools back down in motion though.

I went ahead and put the pusher back on it last night as I already had it wired up previously through the Sniper.

Think I'll set it to kick on at 205 or 210 and see what that does... Can always take it out if it's counter productive.

Bp
So just to make sure I hear you correctly on the fixes so far... You angled the lower portion of the radiator closer/more parallel to the fan by moving the mounts back on the bottom and installed a 17" fixed blade fan? And are now putting your pusher fan back on for some support.
I have a 351W that wants to run warm at idle, give it some RPM's for a minute or two and it will cool back down. I may need to check the clearance between the fan and radiator as well. When I built it, I do remember it being wider at the bottom and not even close to parallel...
Glad you got it cooling better!! Thanks for detailing your issues and fixes thus far!

OP
OP
BPerry

BPerry

So just to make sure I hear you correctly on the fixes so far... You angled the lower portion of the radiator closer/more parallel to the fan by moving the mounts back on the bottom and installed a 17" fixed blade fan? And are now putting your pusher fan back on for some support.
I have a 351W that wants to run warm at idle, give it some RPM's for a minute or two and it will cool back down. I may need to check the clearance between the fan and radiator as well. When I built it, I do remember it being wider at the bottom and not even close to parallel...
Glad you got it cooling better!! Thanks for detailing your issues and fixes thus far!
I completely removed the lower radiator factory supports, then attached angle iron to the frame using existing factory holes. This allowed me to play with the lower angle, in doing so the interior upper Rad guards would be contacting the radiator. So I removed 90%, still leaving just enough to still support any left to right movement of the upper Rad brackets.

All in all, the lower portion of the radiator came forward about 1 1/2 inches and the upper about and inch toward the grill. The upper portion being in a somewhat fixed position, the ability to work the lower angle was key. The radiator and fan position is dang near what is recommended as far as spacing and inter/outer measurements of the shroud with the 17" fixed fan.

By no means does this look professional or is it something that one would want to put on a high end build, but I'm not selling... LOL

Mine does the same, the thing just can't breath trapped in a sardine can at idle or stop n go. The only reason I put the pusher back on, is to see if it will help on the Death Valley days here in Arkansas under stop n go. Other than that, she seems to be doing great, outside temps in the 80's it will run mid 190's with the same climb during stop n go and grade pulls, but always returns under motion or flat grades. At 55 I'm pulling just over 2400 rpm, stock C4, 4.11's, and 33's.

Bp