• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator hose blew off now won't start

allen

The hose blew off at the thermostat of my 69 with a 92 5.0 engine. I immediately pulled over an reconnected it with some zip ties I had on me. First thing I noticed was it was hard to start the 5 or so minutes later. Not sure how much coolant I lost but drove for another 5 minutes at low speed to where I could park it. I noticed the temp was just under 260ish but it ran fine. After parking I filled up the radiator and attempted to start it but no go. I eventually killed the battery tryin to start it. It turns over slowly and wanted to start but wouldn't stay started. A little ether had it running for about 10 seconds. I had it flat bedded home where when I have time I'll get to it. Anyone have any theories as to why it won't start?
Thanks
Allen

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pull the spark plugs and bump it over from under the hood.
Does water come shooting out any of the spark plug holes?

Check the oil, is it overfull? Maybe look like a milkshake (may not have driven it enough to get to that point).

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you fried the motor?

Sorry, but why did you keep driving without water in the radiator?

OP
OP
allen

allen

Had to keep moving. Stuck in downtown Brooklyn with nowhere to stop except middle of the road

OP
OP
allen

allen

Battery is super dead. Haven't had time to charge it. Even jumping barely turns it over. I'll try to get to it later tonight and pit it on a charger overnight

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pull the distributer cap off and dry off the insides. coolant probably flooded under the cap. Check the coil connections too.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Broncobowsher nailed it, do what he says especially the oil. Your motor was so F'n hot when you dumped water back into it you stand a big chance of having cracked heads or worse.

OP
OP
allen

allen

I'll try to check that tonight. That makes sense as it drove and started fine until the fluid went everywhere. I hope that all it is

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Sounds like its time for those trick flo aluminum heads you have had your heart set on. Most likely its the passenger side that let lose.....thats my bet....but with a bunch of miles on the bottom end...this could get spendy

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I would also go with the wet dizzy, i washed under the hood once when i had a carbed engine and got water in it would not start. if there is a lil water inside then no workie. 5 mins slow should not have killed it, but cold water in a hot engine not so beuno.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Didn't put water into it hot. I waited a while. Oil looks fine on the dip stick, distributor looks dry, she cranks over and wants to start while jumped but as soon as the battery is on its own she barely clicks. A little shot of ether starts her momentarily then dead. I have the battery on a charger overnight so maybe that's all it is. Hopefully. It's just confusing that battey would die on me and have this radiator issue at the same time. Maybe it's a coincidence? It has been sitting a while

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can happen if you think about it, unused battery gets really hot which reduces reserve.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Lets hope your heads are not gone. If the battery is good and the dizzy is dry and you still have problem I would consider testing the compression to rule out the heads.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This is not good to keep doing this (shot of ether)....have seen peeps that kept doin this and galled/seized pistons they had....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you happen to notice at any time during or after the event what the temp gauge was reading?
If you really overheated it, and drove it that way for long, I would also change the oil. If oil has time to overheat, it's not happy after that.

Good luck. Hope it's just the battery. Engine's in general don't like to be overheated. You can often dodge the bullet, but can also ruin an engine from overheating.

Paul