• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Selection

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I'm surprised most of you guys are overlooking what would probably be the fastest solution-stock replacement. With your setup, that should work just fine. I'm currently running a new Modine stock V8 radiator and it cools like a champ. That's with an EFI 5.8 and no fan shroud too. I like a lot of the aftermarket stuff too, but your odds of finding a quick replacement are much higher if it's something the radiator shops or your local parts shop can get from a wholesaler/may have in stock with a regional distributor.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
73stallion said:
shows to be $382.99 in my area...:mad:
That is just crazy, I went in and tried California zip code 91320 and sure enough, it came up 382.99 and then re tried my Arkansas zip code of 72501 and it came up 258.88. That is one heck of a difference and now I know why they ask for your zip code.

How could the same part be worth 125 dollars more out west %)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
simple, they rape everybody in cali for everything we buy! look at our gas prices too, the cheapest i saw it for today was $2.39.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Dude that is crap!!! Shows up as 382.99 for me here in Oregon. Whats up with that???? Wonder what zip gets the cheapest price???

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I just checked Fairbanks Alaska (99701) and it's 382.99 there, I then checked New York (10001) and it's 258.88 there.

Kaw-Liga lives in the 32720 zip code area and it showed 258.88 there, so looks like he got a good deal.

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Yup, the fellow said he would price match-but this was at 8:00pm last night and I figured it would be better to order it then and pay 260 and be able to pick it up next day that to haggle on the price and loose a day just to save~20-50 bucks.

Rob

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Well it is in now, BUT I really don't like how it sits so far from the core support, so I think I may do something different. Does anyone know if I can weld/solder(whatever you do to radiators) some long narrow L brackets to the radiator tanks and bolt it straight to the core support like this.
attachment.php

I just am not sure if you can do this to copper/brass radiators or only to AL ones. I'm worried that I wont have enough room for the clutch and fan when that gets in on Tuesday. Let me know what you think. thanks. by the way-this is Don's picture of how he made his work. Done nicely I might add.

Rob

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I just made some calls thumbing thru yellow pages to some local radiator suppliers. Not the retail end user stores. It cost a little over $200. They didnt have one on the shelf, but picked it up locally in a few hours. Since only 1 radiator fit all V-8's from 66-77, its a popular item to stock.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Kaw-Liga said:
Well it is in now, BUT I really don't like how it sits so far from the core support, so I think I may do something different. Does anyone know if I can weld/solder(whatever you do to radiators) some long narrow L brackets to the radiator tanks and bolt it straight to the core support like this.
attachment.php

I just am not sure if you can do this to copper/brass radiators or only to AL ones. I'm worried that I wont have enough room for the clutch and fan when that gets in on Tuesday. Let me know what you think. thanks. by the way-this is Don's picture of how he made his work. Done nicely I might add.

Rob

Rob
Talk to some radiator shops, and welding shops, see what they say. If you do do what I did don't foget to put some rubber bushings of some type between the cowl and the bracket, like in these pictures. The bushings started at about a half inch and when tightened down look like this.

Attachments

• radiatorbracket2.JPG
    radiatorbracket2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 22
  • radiatorbracket3.JPG
    radiatorbracket3.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 22