• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Read this, you might think Im crazy but PLEASE HELP

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I just cant stand the fact that I did everything possible to my bronco but I started with the tub on. I could end the project and drive away with a few more parts but I cant stop thinking that I should have took the tub off to make sure everything was cleaned and upgraded so I am going to pull it off this weekend even though I just had it painted.

Please help - I need to know what all has to be taken out or dissconected before I start. Any other tips would help.

This is what I have done so far:

Cab is empty - Seats out, floor shifter out, steering wheel off, Dash off etc..

The motor Tranny and everything under the hood is still hooked up to run.

What do I do from here?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Obviously the body mounts. Also any wiring that connects to the frame. You will need to brace the body so it won't wrap when the frame is not supporting it.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Remove the coolant lines from the fire wall, e brake cable on pass. side floor along with a couple of mounting points on the underside of the body, aux. gas tank lines as well as the rear tank lines, throttle linkage, and probably a couple I forgot. When I pulled mine off I only forgot to remove the throttle linkage cable from the firewall. I thought for sure there would have been more. Just take your time and go through everything. Make sure you brace the hell out of the tub when you lift it off, especially since it's already done. Three big friends will also make the job alot easier.

DJC

some other stuff you may want to check before it gets forcefully ripped out of place by the jack are the master cylinder/brake lines, perhaps the e-brake, gas lines, radiator or radiator hoses, not so much the steering wheel as the steering column, fuel filler hose (expensive stuff. $20/ft), aftermarket ignition box wires, solenoid wires. wires. wires. wires. cut and splice.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Are you sure you want to? At this stage, I wouldn't take the body off unless I had to for some reason. With the risk of buckling your floorpans or scratching new paint, I don't think you're going to see anything that you couldn't see with a crawler and a shop light...

If I was that close to being finished, I'd drive it like it is and save the frame off restoration for the next time...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you take the chance no of damaging any filler, seam sealers or paint if you don't brace the tub up well. you'd really be bummed if the thing buckled up on you.
at this point, leave it on, finish it and drive it. you'd be taking big steps backward to redo things now. just my opinion.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Put it together, drive, enjoy!!!

Bax

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I guess that's what I needed to hear. I will leave it alone. If it can be screwed up that bad then I dont want to chance it. Believe me, I have a way of making things worse.

Trophybass - Brian has talked about going to your house, let me know when and I will be there. Looking forward to meeting you.

Bax - let me know when your going to be in Ocala

brian72

Early Bronco Student
you can make the frame look nice if you crawl underneath and use a wire wheel then POR or rattlecan. yes - putting in tranny and TC would be eaiser with body off....but it is doable with the body ON. You just have to spend some money to get the part you need then it will be driveable....

brian72

Early Bronco Student
trophybass said:
Yeah, drive to Brians house pick him up and then you guys can enjoy the drive over to my house and help me finish this thing thats holding my garage floor down.;)

pick me up....I will be doing the driving in my EB :cool: ;)

brian72

Early Bronco Student
helping someone out that is 3-4 steps behind you is what it is all about.

What you doing saturday afternoon - the 2nd?

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Hey Brian72!!

Hey Brian, since yours is the only one that seems to be runing, why dont you pick Bax and Bass up and come help me get this tranny and transfer case in. By the way I want to order the steering parts I need, call me when you get a chance so I can make sure I get the right stuff please.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
bax can drive himself...too big a circle for me to go pick him up...