• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Axle - deep black oil all over the place

Hawaii

That was crazy. Driving and then overwhelmed with a burning oil smell. Back right tire has a dark oil all over it (inside) and its burning on the drum brake. Any suggestions on where to start. Other than taking it apart :). Thought I heard a pop when driving but could just be in my head.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2. Pull the brake drum. Wiggle the axle and check the bearing for looseness. You will need new brake shoes, axle seal and more rear end fluid, and brake cleaner spray. Maybe a new bearing, maybe not. Check the bearing closely when you get the axle out. Always a good time to make sure the axle vent is not clogged. Good luck

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

Thank you B RON CO, I’m still learning but taking all in stride.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yeah bet it's the wheel bearing, had one go out one time and actually caught fire got so hot. don't drive it until you find out what it is, you don't want your wheel passing you going down the road

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree with all of the above!
Check your vent to make sure it's not plugged, but the seals don't usually make a popping sound on their own. If it wasn't just a coincidental noise (which does happen) adding some mystery, then the noise was likely the bearing letting go and then the shift and movement causing the seal to leak.

Usually when a seal goes it's a slow ramp up. Starts leaking just a bit, then more over time. To get a big flow of gear lube all at once means either the bearing is toast, or your seal really gave up the ghost!

If you've read over any of the axle discussions though, you'll see that now's the time to do both seals and both bearings. Generally speaking, the rear wheel bearings are good for about 100k miles in our experiences. Some (like mine) can get old and still be working fine, but be out of spec in as little as 90k miles. While others can last upward of 150k. But when they get to that point, they're virtually on the verge of catastrophic failure, so should not be ignored.
More than one owner has lost a rear wheel at as low as 120k miles.

Now that there are at least 40, and up to 50+ years on an original set of rear wheel bearings, even the grease is old and tired even if the mileage is still low.
If I had a Bronco that only had 50k miles on it, but was still on it's original bearings and I wanted to drive it a lot, I'd replace them even if there didn't seem to be anything wrong with them.

So if you don't know your bearing's history, or if you know for a fact that they've never been changed, I'd say we're all glad you heard the pop and saw the leak before it got worse!
I guess the good thing about living where you do is you don't spend a lot of time at 70mph on the freeway.;)
Old tired grease and bearings don't appreciate the extra heat of a heavy load, towing a trailer, or high speed driving.

Paul

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Just went through this with my rig, it was the right rear too, replaced the bearing, seal, and refilled the housing, got lucky it didn't get on my brakes, all that stuff was ok. Good luck. :cool:

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

Update: stated today. Seal is a wreck and in fact part of the bearing fell out. BUT, the axle is stuck in there! Tried the flipping of the drum etc. went to loan a slide hammer they were out. Will be back at it tomorrow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's always something!
Good luck with the slide hammer. That's what it took on mine to break it loose the first time. After that I can pull them both out by hand easily.

Glad your bearing broke while you were just puttering around. Could have been a lot worse.

Paul

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

Thanks Paul! Being new to the game, I spend a ton of time researching. Your responses on this and a bunch of others I’ve read on the forum are always detailed and very helpful!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Update: stated today. Seal is a wreck and in fact part of the bearing fell out. BUT, the axle is stuck in there! Tried the flipping of the drum etc. went to loan a slide hammer they were out. Will be back at it tomorrow.

If you can't get the slide hammer you can use a chain. Secure the end around the axle and stand back aways and snap the chain. An old technique but has worked. Ken

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
After everything is removed/unbolted I put the tire back on the axle and use that to pull the axle out. Good luck, David

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I have seen axles stuck pretty good. If anyone liked to do water crossings the outer bearing is pretty much rusted frozen to the axle tube. We have had to use a rosebud torch to heat the axle end from the outside. There is also a 10 lb. slide hammer, not too common, the S+G Tool Aid "Slugger" #66370.
So now, as Paul mentioned, I would plan on changing both bearings and seals, and pulling the differential out to change all the fluid. Also check inside the axle tube for pieces of the old bearing.
Everyone should learn from this and make sure to check the axles and bearings for play any time the wheels are off.
Since you know you can't drive it now, if you can't get the axle out you either have to tow it to a shop, or remove the whole rear end and bring the rear to a shop to get it fixed. Here in NY we have rear end \ drive shaft shops that specialize in rear end and gear work.
It also seems like a good time to change all the fluid, front end (easier then the rear), tranny, and transfer case, as well as check and pack the front bearings if they haven't been done in a while, and grease all the front end parts and u joints.
Good luck

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
X2 on changing the other side as well. It might be a good time to check the front wheel bearings and repack them as well if it has been a while. Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good advice right there. It was more common 20 years ago to find an old 4wd that had never had it's wheel bearings re-packed and then adjusted properly, but I bet that even now with 40+ years on the clock and with more and more attention being paid to things like that, there are probably still some EB's (and an old Chevy or three as well) out there that have never had their front wheel bearings serviced.

So this is a fantastic time to do it, unless you know for a fact it's been less than 20k miles (or 20 years... whichever comes first. since they were last done.

And speaking of properly, even the new crew of XOR on PowerBlock seem to think it's not important to describe the procedure even as we're watching them just tighten the nuts and call it done.
Unbelievable... Guess these shows don't always remember that they're teachers at least as much as entertainers.

Paul

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Good advice right there. It was more common 20 years ago to find an old 4wd that had never had it's wheel bearings re-packed and then adjusted properly, but I bet that even now with 40+ years on the clock and with more and more attention being paid to things like that, there are probably still some EB's (and an old Chevy or three as well) out there that have never had their front wheel bearings serviced.

not to mention all the ones coming out of the woods/fields with just new paint you know because they are worth so much now lol