• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear brake lights and flashers not working...

Jim Price

I have a 75 Bronco that the rear brake lights and Emergency flashers don't work. the running lights and turn signals work in rear and everything works in front. Any ideas? brake switch is good fuses are good bulb sockets are good??:p what now sos...

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It’s probably your turn signal switch. The power to the brake lights goes thru the turn signal switch.

Mine quit once and if I pressed the base of the turn signal lever, like I was pushing it down the column, the brake lights would work. Rigged it up with a few rubber bands and drove it until I swapped out the switch.

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

Is there any way to determine if its the turn sinal switch or Hazard switch with a volt/ohm meter?

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

Thanks I will look at this and see if i can determine anything today...

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

I checked the wires coming out of steering column and Green wire for right rear brake has no power when brakes are applied or hazards , turn signal has power. The yellow /Black for Left rear brake showing same as above. The red/black for Brake switch & turn lamp has 12 volts for brake & hazards when turned on. And the white/red from hazard flasher to switch has 12v showing. So does this mean that the hazard / turn switch is bad or something else?

tampabronco

Jiggle your fuses. My fuses weren't lining up and not getting a connection

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

To all electrical gurrus out there, see above for imformation on figuring out if hazard or turn signal switch is bad or not with what I am seeing??? Thanks!!!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Sounds like a bad switch. You are getting power in but nothing out for brakes and hazards. It’s a pretty common problem with the switch goes. Try wiggling the turn signal lever around, right where it meets the column, while holding the brake down. See if the brake lights flicker...

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

I tried wiggling and still nothing... disconnected wiring couplers on firewall in engine compartment to rear wiring harness as well to see if a short or ground issue was further back and still no power so if the signal/hazard harness is the last thing under dash before it goes to the back harness it seems as though that must be it?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I tried wiggling and still nothing... disconnected wiring couplers on firewall in engine compartment to rear wiring harness as well to see if a short or ground issue was further back and still no power so if the signal/hazard harness is the last thing under dash before it goes to the back harness it seems as though that must be it?

If your running lights and turn signals work in the rear, then you know the wiring is good.

OP
OP
J

Jim Price

Cool I will order a flasher/hazard switch then. Thanks for your help bro! much appreciated.