• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear disc or not

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I am debating weather to do the explorer rear disc swap, need to drill the rotors still. or stay with the 11" rear drums, all parts are clean, springs and shoes, plus the drums are in great shape. I will tow a utility trailer 2 or 3 times a year with 1.5 tons of camping gear. I figure since I have the cheby discs up front already, just add ceramic pads and call it done. disc front, drum rear.%)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would keep the drums. You'll never have a better parking brake than those 11" drums and if they don't stop you you're towing way too much weight anyway.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
as always, you are right, I have considered putting brakes on my trailer, I think there should be an electric kit for it, it is only 6 x 8 single axle big Tex.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
as always, you are right, I have considered putting brakes on my trailer, I think there should be an electric kit for it, it is only 6 x 8 single axle big Tex.

I have a 5x8 single axle trailer I added electric brakes to. It has a 3500 lb axle. The Bronco stops better towing the trailer than it does without.

If you have the 3500 lb axle you should have the correct flange to mount a brake kit. You can also get 5x5.5 hubs and drums if you want.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Brakes.aspx

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 leave the drums rear brakes only account for maybe 20% of total braking aalthough probably a little more when towing since they will actually have less weight transfered to the front when braking. For all intesive purposes drum brakes actually stop better than disc brakes. disc brake main benefit is less brake fade during heavy braking and of course they are less likely to pull to one side.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Brakes are a luxury anyway, spend the dough on something cool :D

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Rear discs are not worth the hassle or the money. I have them and would gladly go back to rear drums. I have the cadillac calipers with the parking brake and have never been able to get the parking brake adjusted properly. Maybe the explorer rear disc is easier but I definately prefer rear drums for the parking brake.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am a fan of "all disk" upgrades for only one set of conditions..when you routinely race (or just wheel) in snotty gooey deep mud. If you do not do that..or do it so seldom the the cleaning out of your drum brakes is only a minor nuisance, another vote here for staying with the rear drums and spending those dollars and man-hours elsewhere.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I have never had much luck with the explorer parking brake. The hat is so small and larger tires just have too much leverage over them.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Good to hear, I definitely will keep the Drums, I already purchased the spacers (new) and explorer hardware, but it was on a 1/2 day sale, I think I paid 50 bucks altogether including the drums, I have some one that is going to drill them on a mill, but he's been lagging, cause he promised free and now wants money.

I will look into adding brakes to the trailer, Thanks Guys:cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Keep the drums until they wear out. Nothing wrong, great parking brake. Why replace a known good item with something that will take a bit of work and money and will gain you almost nothing? Now when the drums wear out or goive you other issues, just spend that money on doing the disks.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
i just re-did both sides of my rear axle for just at 100$...that was new everything inside the drum....and i know saying this will prolly start something...i just use two line-loc's one for the front axle and one for the rear axle...push on the pedal flip the switches to the locs and hey parking brake how you doing?...lol....but i never do that without leaving it in granny gear though...some will fight that its not a true parking brake which they are rite because it can bleed off...but on the other hand whats the difference in the guy that doesnt have his true parking brake set rite????....JMO

fmcpeters

I put rear disks on, a little bit of work since I have a small bearing rear end. I used the parts off of a 92 Crown Vic. Put about $200 into it not bad considering what the kits go for, and I have ebrakes, the crown vic cables with a little modification fit the Bronco system pretty good. Now was it needed? Absolutely not, but I enjoyed the challenge and the ease of maintenance over the drums, hate those damn springs, they always get me.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I say get rid of the brakes all together and get an anchor honestly stay with the drums and if you having problem go hydro boost instead.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
JAJAJA, I did not mention that I have the Mustang Hydroboost system already.

we did it on my frame off 75 build (still going, hoping to start engine soon) and on my Brothers 74 concurrently.

mine was manual brakes and he was running a vacuum booster and stock 77 MC. after installing the explorer accessories and the stang HB and MC, we where purging the brakes and the rear hose exploded. he is doing a full length header swap on his 351w while he gets new hoses, all of them.

The good part was that he did not loose the hose going down the 5 fwy;D

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Update:

picked up the rotors and drums from the fabricator that was going to drill them to 5 x 5.5 and open the center hole to match my axle shafts.

well, it turns out I have 10" drums NOT 11".

does this mean I might as well do the disc dance?

or get some 11" from the bone-yard, drum, internals and backing plate?

what can I pull them from, a full size Bronco, f150 van, 9" or 8.8"?

or since I have every thing for the discs, do the disc dance and have sucky e-brakes. I plan on using 33" tires since I have 4:10 gears, AOD w/4R70w internals and cobra headed 5.0 efi.

but I have a 3.5 Suspension lift and 2" BL, hope the 33 do not look bad, and wil have to go with 35's and gear change to 4.56's.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Update

but I have a 3.5 Suspension lift and 2" BL, hope the 33 do not look bad, and wil have to go with 35's and gear change to 4.56's.

I ran 35s, 4.10's, 5.0 and the same lift you had with no problems before I switched to4.56's. You could go for 35s now!