• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear storage

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
buy one??, which one?? LOL!!!...........
I don't even have a back seat yet, so anything will fit, right now :p

Going to hit Costco tomorrow and see what they have.

COSTCO has NADA for truck boxes.
Might just wait until I get a seat to see how much room I really have.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Tuffy is going to make a trunk specifically for the Bronco. I believe dimensions are going to be 44" W x 11" D x 19" H. Our design guy is working on drawings today so it shouldn't be too long before they are available. This is a project in conjunction with Wild Horses and they have an order in for the first batch of them already.

WAY cool! I'm looking forward to this product coming out!

matt w

Bronco Guru
This is originally what I wanted to do...but the problem ends up being, if you have an adult in the back seat with a full family cage, headroom clearance is a problem. You cant move a stock (or folding) seat up any higher or you could be endangering anyone in the back seat with head trauma in the case of an accident or roll.

As well, the problem with a drawer that goes underneath the seat is the stock seatbelt mounts or the hold-down latch for a fold and tumble-style seat. You have to come up with a different place/design to accomodate either of these anchor points. I would not want a seat-belt anchor fastened through only 16 guage steel...

I didnt even like the 1/8" anchor that came with the fold and tumble, so I remade it to be 2X as thick (1/4"). Works nice, no worries.

I understand! I was hoping to take the stock Bronco seat, shorten it and mount it to the drawer like it was designed for in a jeep. Not sure it will work as I haven't even looked yet. And you know I "thought" the same thing about mounting the belts to the box, when I had it in my Jeep, but no amount of stress created by a body is going to tear that steal..IMO;D ! Also I "thought" if the factory designed the rear hold down latch to mount to the bed that it would work for the box. IMO...The seat actually might sit lower mounted to the box than the stock seat by about an inch, so it might give better clearance with a fam. cage......not sure though.;D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Tuffy.
What are the chances of getting the drawer that fits under a jeep seat made to the dimensions of a bronco floor? Maybe 6" tall or something like that?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Just a thought...you could do a slider drawer than goes under the rear seat & then add the rear trunk as an added option. Have the rear trunk on risers or with a rise option that allow access to the drawer in case a customer wants one or the other or both! I know I own your drawer and "wanted" the trunk but did not purchase because it would make my drawer inacesssable....just a thought. I know that might limit trunk storage...but still I like the drawer and will be adding it to my bronco soon!;D

like this? This is what i would love to see. As long as the hight of the box did not extend past the top of the stock back seat more than an inch or two( sorry about the crude drawing)

Attachments

• tuffy.JPG
    tuffy.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 72

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
COSTCO has NADA for truck boxes.
Might just wait until I get a seat to see how much room I really have.

Different Costcos carry different stuff. I saw the tool box referred to above at the local Costco last week. It was a two piece deal. A larger box with a smaller one inside. Made of aluminum and was about $100.

matt w

Bronco Guru
like this? This is what i would love to see. As long as the hight of the box did not extend past the top of the stock back seat more than an inch or two( sorry about the crude drawing)

There ya go!...The legs can connect to each other and bolt to the floor at that point..or connect to the box!;D
Good job we just R & D'd a new product for Tuffy!;D

Last edited:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I understand! I was hoping to take the stock Bronco seat, shorten it and mount it to the drawer like it was designed for in a jeep. Not sure it will work as I haven't even looked yet. And you know I "thought" the same thing about mounting the belts to the box, when I had it in my Jeep, but no amount of stress created by a body is going to tear that steal..IMO;D ! Also I "thought" if the factory designed the rear hold down latch to mount to the bed that it would work for the box. IMO...The seat actually might sit lower mounted to the box than the stock seat by about an inch, so it might give better clearance with a fam. cage......not sure though.;D

The factory mounted the hold down latches and seat belt backings in thick, heavy duty tacked-in "nutsert-like" speed-nuts with relatively large surface area backing them up. They are also either located in double thickness areas of the bed or near a break ( or bend) such as in the bed (where the stamped ribbing dramaticall increases the strength). 200 lbs going from 40 mph to 0 or 0-40 mph, however you want to think of it, creates alot more force than you might think.

I wouldnt put a child or a grown person in a seat-belt or seat held down by only 16 guage sheet metal. Unless you use very large washers to increase the surface area that would need to be breached, I would not trust the strength. But thats me.

AZ69EB

I was given a lockable storage compartment that fits under the factory seat about a year ago. It is 16 gauge steel with a door that opens from the front with a key lock.

I had it powder coated black to match the factory seat. Looks great. Holds tow strap, battery cables, spare parts, 4-way, and ect.

Great use for wasted space. I will add pictures after I become a contributor.

matt w

Bronco Guru
The factory mounted the hold down latches and seat belt backings in thick, heavy duty tacked-in "nutsert-like" speed-nuts with relatively large surface area backing them up. They are also either located in double thickness areas of the bed or near a break ( or bend) such as in the bed (where the stamped ribbing dramaticall increases the strength). 200 lbs going from 40 mph to 0 or 0-40 mph, however you want to think of it, creates alot more force than you might think.

I wouldnt put a child or a grown person in a seat-belt or seat held down by only 16 guage sheet metal. Unless you use very large washers to increase the surface area that would need to be breached, I would not trust the strength. But thats me.

..Ok then !;D..

Oh ya BTW I put my 40 & 60 or 80 lb kids on that exact set-up in my jeep with a full padded full roll cage....they were very safe and were not going anywhere! Tuffy would have some serious liability issues if that design ever failed! I wonder if they thought of that when they designed the product?..IJA..

6daze

I like the "trunk" idea. Simillar to the heep ones...Just a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 from bedside to bedside from the tailgate to the back seat. Use angle iron to mount it horizontally to the bed rail- so it would be flush.

Then either bend or weld a vertical piece (or follow the angle of the back seat). You could go to the floor or just down a couple inches...enough to prevent anything from being pulled out from the inside.

Then just lock the tailgate....a slick new handle from Nicks Trix or the budget friendly add a master lock to your spare tire carrier, locking it closed.

Granted this is not a water proof solution and will not work for everyone. But a lot more adaptable for me and what I carry in the Bronco.

Oh yah, forgot to add eye bolts to the top side to tie down coolers, chairs, etc...

Last edited:

matt w

Bronco Guru
I like the "trunk" idea. Simillar to the heep ones...Just a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 from bedside to bedside from the tailgate to the back seat. Use angle iron to mount it horizontally to the bed rail- so it would be flush.

Then either bend or weld a vertical piece (or follow the angle of the back seat). You could go to the floor or just down a couple inches...enough to prevent anything from being pulled out from the inside.

Then just lock the tailgate....a slick new handle from Nicks Trix or the budget friendly add a master lock to your spare tire carrier, locking it closed.

Granted this is not a water proof solution and will not work for everyone. But a lot more adaptable for me and what I carry in the Bronco.

Oh yeah, forgot to add eye bolts to the top side to tie down coolers, chairs, etc...

Nice Idea!

dougyounger

Contributor
Rear storage

This is what I use for a rear storage unit. I bought this about 15 years ago at a local farm and ranch supply. Probably spent $80-100 back then. I rarely use it now as the bronco serves me more as a truck to haul items.

This unit fits behind the rear seat in its stock location. I have it towards the drivers side to leave space on the passenger side. It could probably be even more to the driver's side if needed.

The great thing about this unit is that it is easily attached or removed from the bronco by two rods on either side that hook to brackets mounted to the floor.

The unit is approximately 32 x 12 x 12. I found the website for the manufacturer at http://www.deltastorage.com/configurator.cfm?id=10&brandid=3

Click on "steel portable utility chests" then on "Models, Fitment, Specs" for a pdf with details.

I have pics but I must have let my contributor status lapse. I'll post back when I renew or I can email them if someone wants them sooner.

Doug

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Ended up getting this in black......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0322752239&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Having Wild Horses bring me a rear set to the roundup, so I have not mounted the box yet, but look like it should fit fine.

box.jpg

box%20inside.jpg

box%20side.jpg

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Here's one we installed in a customer's truck. We integrated mounts for it into the cage we fabbed for him. Mounted it high, with the top flush withthe bed rails, in order to fit more gear underneath it. He brought the box to us with the truck, but I thought he said he bought it from JBG.

dscn8212.jpg

dscn8247.jpg

dscn8206.jpg

More pix of this truck HERE (we gave it a pretty cool front suspension too).

Dusty