• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear support bracket on 3 speed floor shifter not long enough?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Recently I refreshed my 3 speed floor shifter on my '76. When I was taking the old on off I realized the even though the rear support bracket (the one that is curved and bolts to the back of transfer case to shifter) was bolted to the transfer case, it wasn't long enough for PO to bolt it to the shifter. I have run into the same problem with the new hardware. It is a bolt hole to short for the bolt to slide in from shifter. Is this a 'regular' thing?? I thought I followed instructions pretty well. I find it weird that me and the PO has the same problem. Transmission/transfer case seems stock.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
don't remember that issue with mine, but I installed it almost 40 years ago, so can probably be excused from class!
But just to be sure, are you saying it's too short in "height" or "reach"?
I know height and reach are basically the same thing, but I'm wondering if the space is missing the hole up and down, or fore and aft.

Good luck. Probably something with the other mounting points. Maybe it was a 6-cyl engine, or a V8 with a mix of parts from some kind of swap that left your assembly shorter or longer than normally expected.

Got pics?

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
don't remember that issue with mine, but I installed it almost 40 years ago, so can probably be excused from class!
But just to be sure, are you saying it's too short in "height" or "reach"?
I know height and reach are basically the same thing, but I'm wondering if the space is missing the hole up and down, or fore and aft.

Good luck. Probably something with the other mounting points. Maybe it was a 6-cyl engine, or a V8 with a mix of parts from some kind of swap that left your assembly shorter or longer than normally expected.

Got pics?

Paul
Unfortunately no pics at this time but hopefully this weekend I will try it again and snap a couple.

I would say 'reach' is the issue. As the bracket curves up to the shifter its just not long enough. By eyeballing it I think it would work if the bracket would be a half inch longer the hole would line up with shifter bolt. And there isn't enough of the bracket for me to just drill a hole into it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You know... Now that I think about it a little more, I wonder if that's where I had the stack of washers on mine?
I can't reference it anymore since I sold the transmission and t-case already.
Nah, I think my stack-o-washers was on the lower bracket mount (the tube welded to the bottom) bolt because it was too long and I probably found it easier to grab a few washers than to source a shorter bolt.

And speaking of spacers... Do you think a simple spacer and a longer bolt would get you the extra stability without too much trouble? If so it might be worth that compromise rather than figuring out how to move the shifter assembly rearward to meet the brace.
Maybe it was just expected, when someone ran into this issue.

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You know... Now that I think about it a little more, I wonder if that's where I had the stack of washers on mine?
I can't reference it anymore since I sold the transmission and t-case already.
Nah, I think my stack-o-washers was on the lower bracket mount (the tube welded to the bottom) bolt because it was too long and I probably found it easier to grab a few washers than to source a shorter bolt.

And speaking of spacers... Do you think a simple spacer and a longer bolt would get you the extra stability without too much trouble? If so it might be worth that compromise rather than figuring out how to move the shifter assembly rearward to meet the brace.
Maybe it was just expected, when someone ran into this issue.

Paul
I didn't put any spacers/washers on front bracket or rear bracket as this would make the bolt hole further away if that makes sense.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
FIXED

Just needed an extra hand from a buddy to push down on the shifter inside cab so I could get bolt started/tightened on back of transfer case. Shifts like a dream now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great news! Congrats.
Now I wonder what’s next…🙄