• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear wheel bearing replacement question

EB70

Contributor
I am preparing to replace my rear wheel bearings. I like to use anti seize to keep assembly working smoothly.

Will installing anti seize on the axle surface make it so that the retainer will not hold as strongly? I definitely want to keep the tire on, however i also like to make things easier to disassemble later.

My gut says not to, what do you folks say?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That retainer is one thing that you don't want to make easy to remove.

bushman

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
The bearing and retainer should go on bone dry. You do not want anything helping that retainer come off. How often have you replaced your rear axle bearings?

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
First time. I always like to plan ahead for worst case scenario with future replacement. However, I may be making myself a worst case scenario by it coming off on the hwy! Dry it is!

I just spent way more time than I care to admit rebuilding a front Dana 44 for the past few days. Everything was crusty etc. I don't want to go through that again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only location where grease, or anti-seize, or other metal surface protectant would come in handy "might be" the outer surface of the bearing only. This is where moisture and long periods between removal can get rust to hold things together maybe more than you like.
As you felt and they all said, you definitely don't want the bearing easy to remove from the axle shaft. But then, that's NEVER been an issue that I've heard. Even with original bearings from 40 years before.

Now, removing an old axle with an original bearing from the main housing? That can definitely be a pain for the ones that have been in there a long time and live in a moist environment especially.
Here's my take on that though. These things should NEVER be left in the housing that long. Why? Because when you do gear lube changes like you should, you take them out every few years anyway, and they don't usually stick then.
I bet the ones that are the worst stuck are the ones where the PO's never changed the oil!

Since I had a big time of removing one of my originals after only 90k miles and about 10 years, and I knew they'd never changed the fluid and it had lived in Montana mountains, I figure that was why. And also why I don't really mind the idea of putting something on the outer surface to keep that from happening again.
Here again though (and rewording bushman's question), "how often do you expect to ever take them apart" and that might answer your question of if you need anything.
The more often you take things apart to mess with them, the less you need anything to help.
I change my lube regularly, and mine still come out each time by hand with very little persuasion.

Paul

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I replaced the bearing nice and clean and dry. No extra substances added. I have a large press and it went right on.

It was a booger to remove from the housing, but the other side slid right out. I do a good job on maintenance and I will be back in there in the next year for something I am sure.

Thanks for the input. Now to set up the gears.