• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear wheel wobble/larger bearing size?

jcb9089

I have a slight wobble on my right rear wheel. Pulled the wheel/drum and can still see the wobble on the axle.

I pulled the axle and noticed in the housing that the PO replaced the bearing because it looks like the bearing gave way. The housing looks fine, but I assume there is slight play causing the wobble.

I have the 66-75 big bearing setup.

Anyone know the size of a slightly larger bearing I could use?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If the cup is enlarged or oblonged you will need to replace the cup(s) or the complete housing.

I went through this over the summer. I had a bearing cup that was jacked. Looked for a used housing and didn't find one local. Shipping from the venders is a killer. Currie sells a new housing (very nice) but it's $600 with shippping. I looked local for someone to replace the end cups on the housing but found no one what would even look at the job.

I ended up doing the job myself. Here is the thread on it.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206332

Tim

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

I forgot to mention that I replaced the axle and had the same symptoms.

I can't visibly see any damage where the bearing seats, but I'm pretty sure that's my problem. When I put the new axle in, there wasn't much resistance. So I was hoping by chance that someone knew of a slightly larger bearing I could use for this kind of problem.

I might be able to find someone local to repair the housing, but was hoping to try another bearing first.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Use a feeler gauge to see how much (if any) gap you have between bearing and housing cup.

My old bearing(s) would slide in and out easly but with the new cups installed, they were nice and snug.

Tim