• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recent feedback on mechanical pump

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Does anyone have any recent feedback on mechanical fuel pumps? I have a new Napa pump in a box that’s been on the shelf about a year. The pump that’s on there is a Napa that’s only maybe 2 years old. Any luck with another brand recently before I install what I have?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can’t remember anybody saying they’ve had issues from a brand new pump sitting on the shelf. After all we don’t even know how long they’ve sat on the shelf at the stores, and at the warehouses before that.
I suppose there could be a manufacturing date on the box, but even still it doesn’t sound like there are problems from sitting.

Now, once you have used that pump and let it sit, that’s a whole ‘nother set of issues!
Seems like every new pump has problems with sitting in today’s modern fuels. I think it’s a combination of poor quality diaphragms and newer fuel makeup.
But in theory it wouldn’t be a problem if they used proper materials in the pump.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In other words I can’t say whether or not to use the one you already own.
Normally I would just use it, but I understand not wanting to do it again because installing fuel pumps on our engines isn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world.
It’s not the worst either though…😁

OP
OP
billh1289

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
In other words I can’t say whether or not to use the one you already own.
Normally I would just use it, but I understand not wanting to do it again because installing fuel pumps on our engines isn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world.
It’s not the worst either though…😁
Yeah, I’m not concerned so much with it sitting on my shelf as I am with their new parts in general. Their pumps used to last in my experience but seems like that isn’t true so much these days (like a ton of other things). I was more wondering if there was something else out there that might be better or at least longer lasting. There was a speed master I was looking at but I’m not familiar with them and it only had 2 reviews.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, can’t help with that, but a lot of members here have had a lot of experiences to relate once they get a chance to see your question. The problem is most of the experiences have been as bad as you are suspecting!

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
There’s always the option of installing an electric fuel pump, but as long as you have a working mechanical pump that’s not leaking, I’d use it.

Randy

OP
OP
billh1289

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
There’s always the option of installing an electric fuel pump, but as long as you have a working mechanical pump that’s not leaking, I’d use it.

Randy
Yep, that might be the way I go if the next one fails quick and no one has had better luck with anything else.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've generally found NAPA parts to be higher quality than the standard Autozone/Advance Auto stuff. But can't speak specifically to the fuel pumps..... FWIW, most of the mechanical fuel pump failures I've had happen in recent years were due to expansion and shape distortion of the little rubber disks in the check valves. Due to ethanol or poor quality rubber...not sure which.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
My Carter M6962 (stock type) pump has been fine for the last four years with mostly limited driving. Meaning it's sat for long periods of time.

My 2 cents...

The two Napa pumps I see online are a Carter for $40 (2x what I paid for mine) and a Delphi. Both are likely fine. Autozone carries the Delphi and a Spectrum (even cheaper). I think some of the bad rap that Autozone gets is due to them carrying the cheapest tiers of parts. This makes them more competitive price wise, but probably costs them in terms of reputation. When shopping there, don't just buy the cheapest part available.

Napa stubbornly refusing to update their website over the last decade really annoys me. Simply searching for 'Fuel Pump' w/ a '76 Bronco selected gives me a lot of *not* fuel pump items. I've liked Napa in the past, and they don't typically *seem* to sell the cheapest tier parts, but the Carter at Napa is 2x the price of Summit, with the same warranty. The Napa stores in these parts are still very much like the dingy parts stores of yesteryear.

Anyway, off on a tangent.

If you're worried about reliability, buy the pump with the best warranty. If that's too expensive, I think either the Carter or Delphi are fine, just buy 2 of them.

OP
OP
billh1289

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
My Carter M6962 (stock type) pump has been fine for the last four years with mostly limited driving. Meaning it's sat for long periods of time.

My 2 cents...

The two Napa pumps I see online are a Carter for $40 (2x what I paid for mine) and a Delphi. Both are likely fine. Autozone carries the Delphi and a Spectrum (even cheaper). I think some of the bad rap that Autozone gets is due to them carrying the cheapest tiers of parts. This makes them more competitive price wise, but probably costs them in terms of reputation. When shopping there, don't just buy the cheapest part available.

Napa stubbornly refusing to update their website over the last decade really annoys me. Simply searching for 'Fuel Pump' w/ a '76 Bronco selected gives me a lot of *not* fuel pump items. I've liked Napa in the past, and they don't typically *seem* to sell the cheapest tier parts, but the Carter at Napa is 2x the price of Summit, with the same warranty. The Napa stores in these parts are still very much like the dingy parts stores of yesteryear.

Anyway, off on a tangent.

If you're worried about reliability, buy the pump with the best warranty. If that's too expensive, I think either the Carter or Delphi are fine, just buy 2 of them.
It looks like the Napa pump I have is the Carter. I’ll end up using it since I have it and probably buy it again to put back on the shelf until something better comes along…. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have replacing pumps for the lat few years I twice went 2 years each in the Carter mechanical and they only lasted 2 years each. then I went to Airtex and this one lasted 3 years and now I am in the process of switching to a carter P4070 electric pump. my first pump was a ford original that lasted over 10 years then a Motorcraft pump that got over 10 years then a carter pump over 5 years and then 2 carter Chineseium pumps and then the Airtex pump that left me wanting more reliable option after the new pump came in I found it to has been converted to Chinese production so now i fear its early demise. carter has a marine version of this pump that I probably should have bought instead. P4594 is the marine version. I do not know what the differences are between the two. I have not had a diaphragm issues with the mechanical pumps it always a check valve issue. Note I have to use California crap gas and my Bronco sits twice as much as it is driven. all I know I need a pump will work when its needed and not just after I replace a fuel pump. Good luck in your search.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The Holley pumps usually have a very high quality diaphragm and related parts. They are also rebuildable.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
For those of us that don't just drive the Bronco 3x/year to get ice cream or for "Cruise Night" a warranty means nothing because who wants another free fuel pump when you're 20 or 75 miles or more away from ANY town or up in the hills nobody is around to haul your butt to get a "free replacement".

Quality at pretty much all costs is my motto now and has been for decades. One ruined trip to Ouray or BC because you saved 10 bucks on a fuel pump is sooooo not worth it.

I ran a backup electric pump for years but it was so I could fill my small boat gas tank while on vacation. I had it plumbed so I could put it in line if needed.

Anyway, best of luck in your search for something that lasts more than a couple years. OE stuff would last 15 or more easily.

OP
OP
billh1289

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I ended up installing the one I had. Turns out it was the same Napa (Carter) pump I had put on it last time. I might pick up the Holley that was listed above now and give it a shot when this one goes. The reviews on it were not great, but I haven’t found one were there was a huge positive consensus. At least it would be rebuildable I guess. Thanks again guys.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Can you get a Motorcraft one still? Been40 yrs since Ford built a carb'd 5.0 but beats fighting aftermarket... ???

OP
OP
billh1289

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Can you get a Motorcraft one still? Been40 yrs since Ford built a carb'd 5.0 but beats fighting aftermarket... ???
I’ll keep looking, but I didn’t see one available at the usual sites. Honestly didn’t check with Ford since I wasn’t able to get anything out them when I did my last project.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Slim chance but...

My Ford Motorcraft wtrpump had a white Made in China sticker on it so... ;(

Lawndart

Loc.
Cheap and cheapish autostore pumps are ALL crap!
tumblr_lnfaupswgd1qdk3i5.png

With 8k-10k miles per year, I have to change them once every year or so.
I have an Edelbrock 1725 waiting for the next change - just gotta get the fittings all figured out.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Should get 100K out of them... like we did when we bought the car!! Fuel pumps lasted 10+ yrs on everything