• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red Label 68 4.6 Terminator Powered Bronco

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 4/10/11

Well Friday night was crazy but got most things done I wanted to on the list for the show. Tower support still gets a cut plate tying them together with House of Diesel cut into it. Tire carrier came out great just took forever with the grind fit, grind fit, grind fit on the corners. Got finished up about 1:00 AM Saturday and went to load the trailer and the new Superduty has a Class 5 Hitch so I had to wait till the morning to leave. Put us in SoCal early afternoon to get the rigs washed and cleaned up. Dang SoCal Saturday traffic is retarded. Well here are a few pics of last minute updates. Will post Monday or Tuesday all the picks from the show.

Bronco4811002.jpg

Bronco4811003.jpg

Bronco4811005.jpg

Bronco4811006.jpg

Bronco4811007.jpg

Bronco4811008.jpg

Bronco4811011.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Sorry guys, but she won't leave the Sears parking lot. Now she won't even start. I think the plugs are fouled now from cranking on her and the constant flooding from the timing/air/fuel mixture be so far off. Well I'll still spend the morning hanging out and get some good pics to post. Sorry things didn't work out if ya missed her.

Last edited:

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Sorry guys, but she won't leave the Sears parking lot. Wiring tuner guy came by on Friday to tune her up a bit so she'll start and at least idle right, but when the alternator went out he insisted he couldn't tune it and took off, even though the new one was there and in by 5:00PM. Now she won't even start. I think the plugs are fouled now from cranking on her and the constant flooding from the timing/air/fuel mixture be so far off. Well I'll still spend the morning hanging out and get some good pics to post. Sorry things didn't work out if ya missed her.

Bummer dude, don't feel bad I'm stuck on an island.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Bummer dude, don't feel bad I'm stuck on an island.

Thx man, but if that Island is Hawaii it ain't that bad. ;D At least ya still have Internet.

We made the best of it. It was nice to check out the Bronc's and all the other Fords though. Couple I didn't see any of were Raptors or Couriers. I was surprised there weren't more trucks there. I know it's mostly Mustangs but I thought more would show up. Crap I would have brought my 05 F350 and showed it off. There were tons of open spots inside. The new Mustangs are smokin'. Saleen just reported that they are going to turn into a parts company, but the SMS made by Steven Saleen are amazing. There 5.0 Supercharged has over 500 Horses.

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
Sorry your Bronco didn't make the show- but at least you made it. I've been watching this build with envy, wishing I had the time and skills to do what you have done.

Question on your tire carrier design, will you be reinforcing the repurposed original carrier brackets that the fold down attaches to? Just wondering if a good knock against the stinger would cause body damage? I really like that setup as it would allow me to go with the hardtop or a full soft top, but wondered about the strength or damage issues were that thing to take a blow.

Thanks for sharing the build - it is inspirational.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Sorry your Bronco didn't make the show- but at least you made it. I've been watching this build with envy, wishing I had the time and skills to do what you have done.

Question on your tire carrier design, will you be reinforcing the repurposed original carrier brackets that the fold down attaches to? Just wondering if a good knock against the stinger would cause body damage? I really like that setup as it would allow me to go with the hardtop or a full soft top, but wondered about the strength or damage issues were that thing to take a blow.

Thanks for sharing the build - it is inspirational.

All we did was cut the inside bracket down and ran it over there Other than that don't have anything planned. The corners should be stronger than the middle of the gate. So it should take some abuse, to a point.

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539

I did the same tire carrier design on an Xj I had, basically a copy of poison spiders from back in the day. Worked well but there is several problems.

1. Mount your tire to it then try to let it down and then pick it up. It will weight approx 200 lbs.
2. You'll need like 6ft clear behind the truck to lower it.
3. Everytime you let it down you scratch the hell out of the tube that lays on the ground, and it always rusts.

I ended up modding mine into a hinged one. I was still driving mine often on the street and still needed to get into the back regularly. That carrier made it a hella pita.

My buddy built one that was exactly the same on a TJ, except it hinged off the body and the bumper on the right side and used quick pins to secure it on the drivers side. Still had the same look and kept the tire nice and high but didn't have the weight/space issue.

Maybe something to think about. Great build by the way!!!!

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

I did the same tire carrier design on an Xj I had, basically a copy of poison spiders from back in the day. Worked well but there is several problems.

1. Mount your tire to it then try to let it down and then pick it up. It will weight approx 200 lbs.
2. You'll need like 6ft clear behind the truck to lower it.
3. Everytime you let it down you scratch the hell out of the tube that lays on the ground, and it always rusts.

I ended up modding mine into a hinged one. I was still driving mine often on the street and still needed to get into the back regularly. That carrier made it a hella pita.

My buddy built one that was exactly the same on a TJ, except it hinged off the body and the bumper on the right side and used quick pins to secure it on the drivers side. Still had the same look and kept the tire nice and high but didn't have the weight/space issue.

Maybe something to think about. Great build by the way!!!!

Ya I plan on welding on a pick handle at the top to grab and it rests on that instead of just laying on the frame of the carrier. Long term plan is that I want to build a fold away ice chest deck for it that has adjustable legs to prop it up at a certain hight.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Holy crap, I subscribed to your thread on Pirate back in Feb. and this one in March. I just put 2 and 2 together and realized you're building them both! No wonder the Mazda build slowed down LOL. Lightbulb moment for me to realize this. This build is encouraging, keep it up, I wouldn't change a thing if this were mine. Very impressive and great work.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Sorry guys won't be making the trip!

Well the rig is still locked up at the exhaust shop and the t case won't even be back until sometime next week. Between that and the needs of my children due to some person stuff, I won't be making the Nor Cal Bronco run. Hopefully sometime this summer I'll be able to get her our to Hollister a few times and start working out the bugs for next year or a late season trip.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

What a mess. Every time I get to something I don't have time to do, and farm it out I get screwed. So I took the Bronco to get headers and exhaust done, at Burlingame Muffler, for any local guys here to STAY AWAY. I dropped the Bronco off the beginning of May and he said that it shouldn't cost me more than $1500 to $2500 for the full exhaust. I let him know that I understand that the headers are going to be a pain and if it cost that much it was what it was as long as it was clean. So what was supposed to take a week or two took 6 or 7 and my list of stuff to do to complete it grew. They broke the hood scoop almost completely off, broke the Flaming River steering column, well the dip stick is what it is, and all they did was the headers. The biggest problem was his wife, who runs the books. The crap hit the fan when she called me last week and tried charging me for 48 hours just for the headers. So $4080 just for headers, I flipped. On top of that I was just there 2 days before and he hadn't even started the driver side, so basically some where around 16 hrs for the driver and 32 for the passenger. I told them I'll just come pick it up and we settled on $3000, but they kept the mufflers that I gave them another $500 for them to order. So yesterday Jesse from Off Road Recovery went to grab it for me and it took the turn for the worst with the broken steering column and hood scoop. Man I banged that hood around for 2 years and never managed to do that one. I'm freakin crushed. This sucks. Now I have to go after them for this crap. Wish me luck.

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_21061.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

barronj

Bronco Guru
I would expect a set of headers to cost $1000 minimum (probably come out closer to $1500-1800) for your set up, but that group screwed you to the wall.

And they broke your shit.

And you still have to take it to someone else to do it right, down $3000 & $400 in damages later.

Hopefully you can find someone who specializes in custom headers. Sounds like this guy tried to wing it & just figured you for deep pockets & no resistance.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Dude that sucks. You need to get a good lawyer, quick. Don't let them get away with that crap. If you don't stop them they will get someone else.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
what was so custom about the exhaust they were charging you so much? i know the headers are special, but i just can't see that. FWIW i have a real good exhaust guy down here in south OC, and he does build headers.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Thanks guys. The guy/husband does decent work, yet he managed to let my rig get thrashed. His wife was the one that screwed it up bad, by trying to charge me every minute they looked at it. She wanted to charge me for the time he tried something and it didn't work and he had to tear it all apart and start over again at full rate. I was like that's not my problem.

A member on Nor Cal gave me a guy down here in Gilroy. I gotta use the boards better on searching for good shops to do my work when I decide to farm something out.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Man that sucks big time! I seem to see the same thing happen when I pay for something to get done by a so called PROFESSIONAL!!! %) All they do is mess it up!!!!!

Don't let them get away with it because too many people do and this crap continues to happen. :mad: