• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red Label 68 4.6 Terminator Powered Bronco

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 6/3/12

Nice day. Have to say I'm pretty happy with how well she turned out. Only thing I'd do different was stretched it about 12"-16". Well the wheel base, and the body about 8"-10". Other than that things ran pretty dang good. We were blessed to have such a successful build. Lost one of the trans coolers with a hole that was noticed during tuning. So trans was the only thing heating up. Really hurt since the cooler that was toast was the one with a fan. New one should be in Monday. Steering/Brakes aren't getting enough pressure, but I think that's because the base line tune was set with a low idle. Now that he can tune it at WOT, he'll be able to bump idle to 1500. Boost is off the hook. It's right there upon throttle. This thing would be a blast at the beach. Had some hang ups due to not running the 42"s. I think she'd be unstoppable on 46"s. Can't really think of anything else. Motor never got over 190* all morning. Got it into Squeeze Rock but backed it out after the right rock ended up inside the passenger door. Didn't feel like taking out the rear quarter first run. Here are some pics. Sorry no video yet. Computer downloaded all the video files as Quicktime and Microsoft Video Maker doesn't allow me to edit it. I'll work on it tonight.

Bronco6312013.jpg

Bronco6312002.jpg

Bronco6312008.jpg

Bronco6312014.jpg

Bronco6312015.jpg

Bronco6312012.jpg

Bronco6312026.jpg

Bronco6312009.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 6/4/12

And some beautiful pics from the Rock Garden/Mini Rubicon. Very happy with how it handled it, especially with the street 40"s on. The 42"s have full tread and that little extra clearance. Only scrapped one link and crushed the OE rear diff cover. The trans started getting hot running through the single fanless cooler, so we chose not to run the full coarse. But it ran and responded instantly.

joshpic149.jpg

joshpic162.jpg

joshpic143.jpg

joshpic156.jpg

joshpic134.jpg

joshpic138.jpg

joshpic150.jpg

joshpic163.jpg

joshpic164.jpg

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
So cool to see this build "done" turned out amazing.. I love the fact that it went right to the rocks and you put it through it's paces.. Impressive.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

So cool to see this build "done" turned out amazing.. I love the fact that it went right to the rocks and you put it through it's paces.. Impressive.

After driving it home 32 miles on 101 straight from the gear shop with no alignment.:eek: lol I am more than pleased. It handles great for having no sway bars too. Ride is soft and plush. Short wheel base gives you an inertia feeling on turns, but you get used to it. It's just cause the driver is almost sitting over the rear tire. Kind of like when you first start driving a rear steer lift for the first time.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Congrats man! I bet its a blast to drive. Get us some videos? Would be interesting to see the dyno # comparison between 31" tires and those

So who tuned it? Datalogger installed? What are you using to monitor temps/etc?

If you have an iphone or android phone theres a really cool app(Torque/Rev) you can get that pulls info from the OBDII port you now have and displays in any way you want on your phone screen. I use that now instead of my dashboard haha. I monitor speed, rpm, coolant temp, intake temp, MAF count, and Timing all at once

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Wow I completely forgot that you did your coilovers inside the rear wheel wells. I kinda put a rear 4-link with coilovers out of my mind because I figured the coilover wouldn't fit in there. I thought I would have to cut into the wheel wells to make it work.

How is the tire to coilover clearance when a tire is stuffed?

Bronco6312015.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Congrats man! I bet its a blast to drive. Get us some videos? Would be interesting to see the dyno # comparison between 31" tires and those

So who tuned it? Datalogger installed? What are you using to monitor temps/etc?

If you have an iphone or android phone theres a really cool app(Torque/Rev) you can get that pulls info from the OBDII port you now have and displays in any way you want on your phone screen. I use that now instead of my dashboard haha. I monitor speed, rpm, coolant temp, intake temp, MAF count and Timing all at once

The ECM is Accel. Autotrend EFI tuned it and had to rewire the ignition system correctly to retain the Accel unit. No one makes a spec unit for the 03/04 so he had to wire the coil system as an early model 4V, which makes dialing it in correctly and fine tuning it possible. It was running cave man status in the buggy.

Wow I completely forgot that you did your coilovers inside the rear wheel wells. I kinda put a rear 4-link with coilovers out of my mind because I figured the coilover wouldn't fit in there. I thought I would have to cut into the wheel wells to make it work.

How is the tire to coilover clearance when a tire is stuffed?

There are some detailed pics early on in the build thread of how I had to cut, box the tub, and plate the bottom of the well to make it all work. There is a bottom mounting plate that attaches to the roll cage. Clearance is all good since the coils are just front of axle line. I also deigned the rear four link to allow the rear to walk. U notice in the side profile pic above. Not a good aspect in building a race car but for rock crawling it tightens up the turning radius a hair when pivoting rocks and hugs whatever obstacle the rear is traversing.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
There are some detailed pics early on in the build thread of how I had to cut, box the tub, and plate the bottom of the well to make it all work.

Ah, I didn't look at the picture carefully enough. Now I see the box in the wheelwell. damn, I was hoping maybe it was possible without reducing rear seating area. thanks.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Ah, I didn't look at the picture carefully enough. Now I see the box in the wheelwell. damn, I was hoping maybe it was possible without reducing rear seating area. thanks.

Didn't take up much. Just had to notch a small 3"x3" corner out of each side of the bench.

Colorado75Bronc

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I love it man, turned out great! just curious how much further back is the rear axle from stock, i love how it looks, and im about to go 3/4 ton and want to push the rear back, and i really like how yours looks, most stretches look goofy, and the tube flares are awesome too, how is it for road noise with the bumpers being bolted straight to the body?