• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Stock Air Filter Set Up?

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have a 73 with a stock 302 carb and air cleaner set up!
Can I eliminate the stock air cleaner set up and just use the air filter set up that Toms sells? Can all the other trinkets that are on the stock air filter and cleaner set up be eliminated and bi-passed without the too much complications ? Thanks for the input and advice ...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't tell you about the fit of the new cleaner, but if they sell it there's a good likelihood that it's low enough profile to work. The problem is, and the reason stock ones are offset, is that there isn't much hood clearance.

As to whether you can remove the stuff, no you can't remove all of it. You can use alternates for most of it, but you want to keep the function of your PCV valve, which is the hose on the passenger side rear that comes from the valve cover elbow fitting up to the air cleaner housing under the middle section.
The second one is the charcoal canister hose that fits over on the passenger side facing slightly rearward.

The other aspect that's better with the stock stuff than any other setup currently on the market for Broncos, is that it's a true cold-air intake system. All the aftermarket filters are under the hood only and so take in only hot air instead of the cooler, denser outside air.
This is not a deal-breaker of course, as many older engines (including '66 to '72 Broncos!) were run this way. But the stock one is still "better" for having the cold-air snorkel.

If the new filter housing does not have the fittings, similar ones are available, or you can make something of your own to connect the two tubes.
The vacuum lines that open and close the hot-air valve on the snorkel can be removed and plugged at their source. I think those are the only ones on a '73. The later model Broncos had more than just the one vacuum circuit on their housings, but in '73 I'm pretty sure it was just the hot-air valve.

Good luck.

Paul

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have a 73 with a stock 302 carb and air cleaner set up!
Can I eliminate the stock air cleaner set up and just use the air filter set up that Toms sells? Can all the other trinkets that are on the stock air filter and cleaner set up be eliminated and bi-passed without the too much complications ? Thanks for the input and advice ...
Do you have the plastic part of the air cleaner that goes to the side of the battery to the core support? I want it.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there a diagram some where of the charcoal canister and its plumbing? Is there a direct line from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister?

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I ripped it out and went w/ a Low Pro from Toms and I could not be happier.

Ya the toms is what I was looking at. I have not run the cold air duct EVER and I’ve had the truck for 20 years or so...I can’t see much of a downside except eliminating some of the vacuum tube issues... did your new Low Profile set up come with holes on the bottom side so that you could use the needed breather type connections? Or a better question would be EXACTLY WHAT mods did you need to make to run that Toms Low Profile air cleaner set up? I’m thinking it would breathe better as well! Thanks for the input!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Since you're downgrading air cleaner system, you should take ALL the parts and offer them to someone who appreciates and understands the OE system. Stick a gaudy chrome plated piece of ChiCom junk on there. Then get chrome plated valve covers and chrome dip stick to complete the ensemble.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Since you're downgrading air cleaner system, you should take ALL the parts and offer them to someone who appreciates and understands the OE system. Stick a gaudy chrome plated piece of ChiCom junk on there. Then get chrome plated valve covers and chrome dip stick to complete the ensemble.

Wow so is your name short for JACK ASS!?? Oh wait your probably 16? What a moron comment! Almost laughable...so ok BIG PURIST that probably obviously knows nothing about life! Let’s see your incredible build!🤣😆😜

70 sport WA

Wow so is your name short for JACK ASS!?? Oh wait your probably 16? What a moron comment! Almost laughable...so ok BIG PURIST that probably obviously knows nothing about life! Let’s see your incredible build!🤣😆😜

I usually don't like snarky comments, either, and want to respond as you did! But sometimes I realize that there's some truth to them. I think there is some to this one. Yes, most of us will agree that you should do what you want...absolutely. The thing is that a number of other recent threads have noted the benefits of the stock set up and fresh(er) air intake. Something to weigh then do what you want.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have my stock 73 aircleaner off right now, had it powdercoated body color, looks nice. Using some other thing until I have time to figure out how to get the aircleaner support which bolts to the header, to use the aftermarket header bolt...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there a diagram some where of the charcoal canister and its plumbing? Is there a direct line from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister?

Yes and yes. With maybes as well.
I don't have a copy, but they have been posted and talked about many times so there might be a thread we can find quickly. With luck someone has a link so we don't have to search!

The small vents on your '73 first go to the condensing tank inside the cab. From there the vapors that remain go directly to the charcoal canister's small port.
In '76 and '77 the fuel tanks vented directly to the new style canister (trough a roll-over valve) without the additional condensing tank in the cab.
You can improve your system (convenience wise, not necessarily performance wise) by using the newer design canisters.

Does your existing charcoal canister have a medium size port (for 4 total)? If so that one is for a new-for-'73 carburetor float bowl vent.

Paul

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I usually don't like snarky comments, either, and want to respond as you did! But sometimes I realize that there's some truth to them. I think there is some to this one. Yes, most of us will agree that you should do what you want...absolutely. The thing is that a number of other recent threads have noted the benefits of the stock set up and fresh(er) air intake. Something to weigh then do what you want.

I ACTUALLY ALWAYS BRAG ABOUT HOW LOVE THE STOCK 2 barrel carb!! I “thought” just opening up the air flow would be better anyway! That’s why I commented on “Jack Ass” whom shows he knows nothing about much of anything! I don’t like to bag on others BUT I WITH my stock engine, which I’ve owned for about 20 YEARS NOW! ...will go out with others fellow bronco brothers that have done “modern upgrades and engine swaps” and if there are say 4-15 others on a run “someone” will inevitably have an issue ...I don’t want to change my 2 barrel out and in a dram world with all the years of wheeling I would
Selfishly want to stroke the stock engine and try to run the stock 2 barrel so SO MUCH FOR JACK ASSES whom is clueless to My history or that simple fact that that LAST THING I WOULD EVER DO IS THROW CHROME CRAP ON MY BRONCO! That proves He must have been drinking or he is 16 ...considering he just joined CB THIS YEAR!

Skinnyr1

I had one of the low profile air cleaners on mine when I bought it. It barely cleared, and actually rubbed the hood a tiny bit. Stock 2 barrel motorcraft.

I ended up tracking down the stock setup and reinstalled it. Cold air snorkel thing that runs up next to the battery. Its all personal preference, I'm sure there is little performance difference.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I wonder why ford didn’t have cold air intake on the 66-73 years and added it on the later EBs 74-77 ford must have had a good reason

1970 Palmer

I wonder why ford didn’t have cold air intake on the 66-73 years and added it on the later EBs 74-77 ford must have had a good reason

Most of the added "improvements" were done due to tightening federal emission standards, and to over come the drive ability problems caused by those tighter standards. The 1970's were a tough time for vehicles to meet emissions and still run decent, eventually made better by the addition of computers.

John

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Mat has certainly proved himself morally and intellectually bankrupt. When no persuasive argument is available, name calling becomes the only pathetic substitute. I'm surprised he didn't call me a white supremacist like the commies do to anyone who disagrees with them.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

There's merit to what you're saying about the stock air cleaner jckkys. However your approach could use a little brushing up.;)

I've been working on carbs most of my life. I had my Emissions Tech license back in '72 -'75 when this stuff became 50 state mandatory.
Most owners typically yank off anything with a vacuum hose on it, calling it a smog device. They do this without any knowledge of how this stuff even works. The heated air intake and EGR are usually the first to go. A working heated air intake is really nice on cold mornings.
When you eliminate the EGR valve, the engine will usually ping. So in response the owner will retard the timing. So, now you have a poopy engine that stinks when it runs.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Mat has certainly proved himself morally and intellectually bankrupt. When no persuasive argument is available, name calling becomes the only pathetic substitute. I'm surprised he didn't call me a white supremacist like the commies do to anyone who disagrees with them.

Just goes to show you how forgetful I was to respond
To a person who’s acronym stands for “Jack Ass” You probably should reread your OP...!������

Last edited: