• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing stock ford lockouts

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I am trying to do my front disc conversion, but as usual, I have run into a problem early on.

How do you remove the inner portion of the stock front hubs??? The outer portion came off fine. I removed a snap ring from the center splines, but I can't get the inner portion to slide out. It moves about 1/4" in=out.

I read 3 different instruction sets and watched part 1 of the 3 part video....shows the guy 'prying something out a few times??? before removing the inner portion. He doesn't say what he is doing, though.

I knew this wouldn't be an hour 'cakewalk', but to only get this far and have trouble?!?!?!?!

Please HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance....Pops

DJs74

Bronco Guru
There is a large locking ring on the end of the hub. It has a gap at the end, use something sharp ended like a screw driver blade and hook the ring, pull the end toward splines enough to grab it, then just pull it out

DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
front hub - splines and retaining rings

attached is a very quick and crude sketch of the front hub. the small retainer ring is on the axle shaft / large retaining ring on the inside front lip of the hub. the large one is holding locking mechanism from sliding out... if I read your post correctly.

DJs74

Attachments

• hub and splines retaining rings.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 27

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Here are all of the parts that you need to remove. The smaller snap ring at the end of the axle you already got. There is a larger snap ring that rides in a groove inside the hub.

Attachments

• IMG_5479.jpg
    IMG_5479.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
If it still won't come out, after you take the large ring out, take two of the screws that hold the cap on, and screw them into the inner part, then you should be able to pull it out.

OP
OP
Pops68

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Guys.....I got it out through trial and error before I got back to the computer. I tried to have my computer on in the garage while I was working, just 'in case' things like this happened, but Time Warner SUXS!!!! Not even 30 feet away from router etc, and no internet.

Anyway.....that part is done, now 2 more questions relating to my swap (no instructions came with the actual kit):

1) What is the torque spec for the BANJO bolt to the caliper (Chevy)??

2) When installing the new Warn hubs, I can't figure out the RETAINING ring...doesn't seem to fit after the hub body assembly is slid into place. In-structions say: Install body and large lock ring in wheel housing (done). In-stall axle retaining ring (doesn't seem to fit anywhere). Then says it is not needed with certain axles, but not a Dana 30.

Again, HELP.......I am almost done with driver's side except for these 2 issues and hooking up my new brake line. Hope to finish tomorrow so the wifie can have the garage back and I can be DRIVING AGAIN!!!

Thanks, Pops

mtp71174

Sometimes you need to push the axle stub from the backside that is to say the inside the knuckle to get the groove out far enough to install the snap ring.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Snap ring on the axle won't fit with the chevy conversion a vast majority of the time. Leave it out. No big deal. Some use a washer and bolt in the threaded end of the axle in its place, but the outer snap ring is sufficient. This has been discussed here at length numerous times.

OP
OP
Pops68

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
mtp71174:

Thanks, but I have no idea what you mean......please try to clarify or pics would help.

Pops

OP
OP
Pops68

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Justin: You are saying just the large ring around the outer edge will hold everything in place??

Thanks, Pops

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Yes the large ring , you can try to push on the axle from behind, where the axle goes through the back of the hub. But with the Chevy conversion , the snap ring may not go on, but you do not need it.

OP
OP
Pops68

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
EVERYONE....THANKS for the answers!!!! I also found the torque spec I needed.

Now for the passenger side tomorrow.

Pops

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not only what they said, but to add to the whole snap-ring info, even simply changing out to Warn (and most other aftermarket lockouts) with stock hubs and drums, you most often can't re-install that axle snap-ring no matter what you do. With the disc brake swap, it's almost guaranteed not to fit.

Just the nature of the aftermarket hubs. Perhaps they were simply patterned after the Chevy/Dana axle ring groove spacing. It's only off by a fraction ,but that's all it takes sometimes.

Paul