• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replaced frame - sell w/o VIN?

jgregory2601

Contributor
I have a good quality frame that is no longer needed due to replacing with a Kincer frame/chassis. What is the best way to sell this? I am certain there are threads on this on this site but I cannot find. The modified Bronco is registered under the VIN that was on that frame so I don’t want to lose that. I’m in Georgia. Anyone dealt with this? Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
SHooting in the dark here but if you have your "new" frame registered with the Kincer frame and are using the VIN on the glovebox (which is the same as the frame) then you need to destroy the frame since the VIN goes with the frame.

I'll be corrected soon if I"m wrong but...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
SHooting in the dark here but if you have your "new" frame registered with the Kincer frame and are using the VIN on the glovebox (which is the same as the frame) then you need to destroy the frame since the VIN goes with the frame.

I'll be corrected soon if I"m wrong but...

He needs to obliterate the VIN on the frame, but doesn't need to destroy the frame itself. Selling a frame with the obliterated VIN for parts or for someone to use as a rotisserie is perfectly legal. Attempting to register the old frame with the old VIN when it's assigned to the original Bronco is where the illegalities come in.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m in Georgia also. You might want to keep that frame. If you ever sell the Bronco, having the original frame stamped with the original VIN will make it easier, especially if you sell out of state.

Is it titled in Georgia? If it has been registered in Georgia without a title, you will not be able to get a title for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgregory2601

jgregory2601

Contributor
I registered the Bronco with a bill of sale after having a patrolman review the VIN on frame/glovebox. There was no history of the VIN going back a long way (a barn Bronco I believe). It feels like the selling for rotisserie is the best path forward… if anyone else has thoughts please let me know… thanks!

OP
OP
jgregory2601

jgregory2601

Contributor
This is what I’m working with - will likely part out the rest

Attachments

• IMG_9796.jpeg
    IMG_9796.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 52

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Cut out the VIN sections and sell the frame to someone needing to repair a rusted frame. I bought a frame with no VIN to repair rust around the rear spring hangers and gas tank strap holes and to stretch my frame and wheel base.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I said destroy the frame... MEANT to say destroy the VIN number on the frame - - my bad.

Oughtta here to NWBR.

Have a good couple weeks guys.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
This one is a bit tricky. While you are not doing anything unethical, there could be complications depending on the state and how much is known to the inspector in case of that. For example, the state of AZ would not allow you to just "use" the same VIN on a new construction frame. They would require you to come in for an insection and issue a reassigned VIN for the new frame. If it was found that your frame has been restamped with a VIN associated with a previously manufactured factory frame, it would be subject to impound. Will it ever happen? Maybe or maybe not but it does leave a "story" behind with the vehicle though that you would either have to choose to disclose or not. Then you have to decide if you don't disclose it and there is a claim later due to it being sold in a state that is tough, It could be your liability. At the end of the day, many will just tell you to do it and not worry about it. But, it is not there problem either.

OP
OP
jgregory2601

jgregory2601

Contributor
Thanks ngsd - your point is that on all these resto mods that are built on a new chassis that depending on the state you may need to re-register because technically you can’t use the same frame VIN? I’ll look in to that. And confirming you’re not flagging any issues with the sale of the frame w/o VIN

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Thanks ngsd - your point is that on all these resto mods that are built on a new chassis that depending on the state you may need to re-register because technically you can’t use the same frame VIN? I’ll look in to that. And confirming you’re not flagging any issues with the sale of the frame w/o VIN
This a truly something that you should ask your local DMV for a solid answer and not opinions from us. I just wanted to add to the knowledge of what the DMV would do here as am example of concern. As far as the frame sale, that too would be a DMV question as I know for sure that if asked DMV would drown on cutting put numbers and if you didn't you leave yourself exposed to some have a frame that could possibly get bonded and reissued a new title.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Typically when a frame is disposed of at a salvage yard, or taken out of service by parting it out, the title has to be turned in to the Georgia DMV and the VIN is flagged as unusable. That prevents people from reusing a VIN from a salvage vehicle.
Since you don’t have a title, if the Bronco is sold and inspected for registration in another state, it would be an untitled vehicle with a replacement frame, and no proof that the original frame with your VIN was not under a Bronco somewhere. That’s why I suggested saving the frame.
Let us know that the DMV says. It has always been a gray area.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
you need to cut the frame up / cut the vin out / off the frame ! owner of frame and vin on it is in most states the owner of that vin bronco !
to answer your question
you sell me that frame w. vin ... w. that i could get a lost title for it and report your bronco w. that vin, now my vin stolen and w. help from law enforcement i get to own your bronco for the price of the frame you sold me .............