• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust free original ranger worth?

N747JB

I tried that already lol..... I don't have the cash I have to pull from every angle... I told my wife its 14k and emptied my secret reserve.... ;););););)

I talked with her, Melissa not your wife, about that Bronco when I got my interior, it didn't sound like she was planning on selling it, but I like it! I wish I had been more patient and bought one like that, buying one for $7500.00 sounded like a good deal, but I have spent a small fortune on it and I'm still not driving it. %)

OP
OP
hold24

hold24

Loc.
canton, Ga
I talked with her, Melissa not your wife, about that Bronco when I got my interior, it didn't sound like she was planning on selling it, but I like it! I wish I had been more patient and bought one like that, buying one for $7500.00 sounded like a good deal, but I have spent a small fortune on it and I'm still not driving it. %)

OH you scared me in a couple of ways....I want to drive and tinker on this one. I have 2 jeep projects at the house and don't feel like doing a full resto. Plus I'm trying to sell my house and if I come home with another project my wife would kill me...My house is beginning to look like sandford and son....

dirwin

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I just bought a 74 Ranger, all virgin steel, just a little rust in the inner fender and driver's floor (nothing major at all). As for the rest of it, it was chewed up pretty bad and I gave $6,700 for it. When I say chewed up, I mean CHEWED UP! There wasn't a single soft piece of the interior you could use, not one. 18K may sound high but when you look at all your going to have to do to a 7K piece, it isn't. Heck, Melissa is about to get over 3K from me for my interior alone going.

One nice thing about the one you found, they're only original once, no matter how hard you try.

Here is what I call chewed up.

CompletedRegistrationPack008.jpg

CompletedRegistrationPack009.jpg

OP
OP
hold24

hold24

Loc.
canton, Ga
good eye... Its a late 72 build first rangers to come out... Even notice no ranger emblem on the dash and has factory power steering... title says 72

OP
OP
hold24

hold24

Loc.
canton, Ga
I just bought a 74 Ranger, all virgin steel, just a little rust in the inner fender and driver's floor (nothing major at all). As for the rest of it, it was chewed up pretty bad and I gave $6,700 for it. When I say chewed up, I mean CHEWED UP! There wasn't a single soft piece of the interior you could use, not one. 18K may sound high but when you look at all your going to have to do to a 7K piece, it isn't. Heck, Melissa is about to get over 3K from me for my interior alone going.

One nice thing about the one you found, they're only original once, no matter how hard you try.

Here is what I call chewed up.

CompletedRegistrationPack008.jpg

CompletedRegistrationPack009.jpg

ahh... looks like my 76 ranger I sold... check out my old threads. its alot of work and money to get them right... The money might be a little strong on the bronco I'm buying but I can enjoy it now and tinker with it as I go...

jj_jenkins

As a very disappointed wannabe Bronco owner who missed out on an opportunity to buy a comparable 77 Ranger for 18k (needed a little maintenance-carb, muffler, tires) and then passed up on a cherry 20k uncut all original 75 Ranger that had been properly maintained, buy it and don't look back. Don't let it be the one that drove away because you were hung up on a couple grand. I don't think your money is any good in the afterlife.

darcytribe

That's a beauty that you'll have trouble finding another to come even close. Assuming it runs as nice as it looks I'd grab it, throw some new seat covers and dash pad in there, and drive it as-is: enjoying every blessed min. Like has already been stated... You just don't find un-restored origionals in that condition.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yep early 73 had T handle shifters still and no Ranger badge on the glove box. Since its a 72 that might be why it also has a black dash pad.
Overall I think its a ok deal. while paint does cost some $$ to do right you dont need body work so thats a plus. As for interior well Shouldnt take more than $1K to get it like new again in there.

matts460

I think it says alot about any old car/truck to find one thats virgin and rust free like that bronco. reminds me of my 1972 F100 it is a rust free truck from texas my dad found when i was 13 i bought it from my dad and still have it. But it was just a custom and i liked the 1969 rangers like my dads work truck so i fixed my truck into a 1969 ranger clone and made it the way i wanted it and still have it and the take off parts. The trucks never been apart (frame off resto) and is still rust free. Im very proud of it and the fact i didnot have to replace repair any metal on it! Id buy that bronco and slowly repair all the oppropriat items that are worn/torn almost as if it was 1973 and you were going to the dealership to replace worn items they would order new parts from the parts deparment that belong to the truck. It would still be original and i wouldent touch a thing under the hood except maintance items and id find Motorcraft/ford parts.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Bronconaz - I should've given you $1k to sort out my interior! That's a pretty optimistic estimate there, I'm going to be into my seats for over a grand, and that's just the standard parchment fabric, not the fancy schmany $$$ ranger interior. Then you have bedliner, insulation, carpet, dash repainted, misc gauges and bezels, etc and that stuff really adds up! Even though, there's just something about a nice unmolested original example, and I think the OP will be happy with the purchase.

Why are you hesitating? Go make it happen! :)

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I'm going to update my earlier post to " go for it". It sounds like it is what you want and the pics make it easier to see the shape it is in. Good luck!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Bronconaz - I should've given you $1k to sort out my interior! That's a pretty optimistic estimate there, I'm going to be into my seats for over a grand, and that's just the standard parchment fabric, not the fancy schmany $$$ ranger interior. Then you have bedliner, insulation, carpet, dash repainted, misc gauges and bezels, etc and that stuff really adds up! Even though, there's just something about a nice unmolested original example, and I think the OP will be happy with the purchase.

Why are you hesitating? Go make it happen! :)

Lol I dont think he needs all that. I would say do seats and dash pad the rest can come later. Figure his carpet is probably in decent shape maybe faded a little it could be redyed and the rest of the interior should be in good condition so no bezels guages ect needed. Heck my 73 ranger that has basically been a DD all its life still has orginal bezels and the dash has never been repainted. The interior panels are a little worse for wear but are still in ok shape.
Of course I may be slightly low on the price but really a basic interior ie stock seat recovering and dash should only run around $1K. Just saying that he doesnt have to throw a lot more money at it to enjoy it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've seen this Bronco and it is probably the nicest unrestored one I've ever seen. It is an early '73, possibly built in late '72. I didn't look at the VIN. Note the dash light bars.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to say about the transfer case, that when you buy it, get the serial number off the t-case and give it to Viperwolf1. It'll be a good one for the list he's keeping. Transition years are always interesting for EB's.
I wonder if about that time the manual trucks got the t-shift and the automatics got the J-shift, or if it was just a linear changeover and not transmission-specific?

What month was it built? October or so?

Paul

OP
OP
hold24

hold24

Loc.
canton, Ga
I was going to say about the transfer case, that when you buy it, get the serial number off the t-case and give it to Viperwolf1. It'll be a good one for the list he's keeping. Transition years are always interesting for EB's.
I wonder if about that time the manual trucks got the t-shift and the automatics got the J-shift, or if it was just a linear changeover and not transmission-specific?

Paul

I'll get that info when I get it home... I find the transition years interesting as well.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Well, I guess that you are going through with the purchase! Good for you. Looks like it is what you want and it is really an awesome truck. Looking forward to some more pics! ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

Paul

My 73 Ranger with automatic came with the T shift case. I think the factory just used up what was on hand then switched over when they ran out of the Tshift stuff. think mine was a sept build. Now the only thing I havent done is verify if the T case has 2.46 or 2.34 gears.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The build date on yours is of interest too broncnaz. Several members here have Sept. built trucks that were still registered originally as '72's.
Was yours always an AZ rig, or was it delivered elsewhere first? Don't think that matters other than curiosity though, as the individual states don't dictate when a model year changes. Still curious though.

Paul