• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

safety concerns please help

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I would say ,seeing some posts in the past, that if someone were to hit you they would know it. There is room for improvement , 3 point seatbelts or better, roll cage front/rear (with good tie in) better brakes.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I would say they are as safe as the driver behind the wheel. The frame is very rugged. The body may be another issue. The way they rust , the body may lose some of its strength. The body also doesn't have crash zones like the newer cars but then again , the newer cars don't have half the frame these Broncos have. I don't think anyone expects them to stop like a new Honda but then again if you maintain the brakes they are OK. I work in a body shop and see a LOT of strange stuff. I fixed a almost new F-250 once that was about $2000 away from a total ...... IT HIT A ATV ! A deer for instance can do some pretty servere damage to the best made car or truck. I think for the most part they are safe as long as you know what you have under you. A 67 Bronco with no rust and good brakes may hold up a LOT better in a crash than a 87 Bronco with some rust and poor brakes. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

mtn_bronco

Loc.
Leadville, Colorado
I think they can be.

76 and 77 have the collapsable steering column, a BIG safety item.

With a full cage, with seats mounted to it and 3 point belts I think it would be very safe.

Howard

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
[quote author=paint669 link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=0#msg136402 date=1053886025]
Is and EB a safe car? Also, how hard are they to drive compared to a regular car?
[/quote]

A Bronco isn't a car and really can't be compared to one. Obviously a Bronco will roll easier than a little Honda Accord or similar car. It's higher off the ground and more top heavy.

Broncos are also older vehicles and do not have all the safety features newer vehicles have. (ie. air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc.)

Bottom line is you need to respect the limitations of a 25-37 year old vehicle. Be sure it's in proper working order and always give first attention to all safety upgrades like seat belts, brakes, roll cage, steering and suspension. Understand your braking distances and tendancy to roll will be greater. In other words don't drive like an idiot.

Pigpen74

Loc.
Southern Maryland
Because of the concerns noted above, specifically the higher center of gravity than a modern car, it seems to me that the EB is more sensitive to things such as an imbalance in tire air pressures, uneven brake pressures etc. In other words, you have to be an active participant in the care of your vehicle. (pretty much what the other guys are saying)

I think that the most important mods we can do as EB drivers are in the realm of safety, and we shouldn't skimp on those. A roll bar has already kept me alive and kicking, and in light of recent events, I am going to ensure that it is effectively tied to the frame.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
Dad went end over end 4 times doing about 40 miles an hour once in a 68 model.Lucky they both had seat belts on.Bent every panel and shattered windshield due to roof dropping some.Cracked radiator was worst damage.Drove it home tho.Scratched and bruised and dog in back was O.K. too.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
It is too bad that this conversation does not reach the ears of those that are buying suv's for the first time.
SCAREY!!!!!!

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
[quote author=feitctaj link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=0#msg136451 date=1053915725]
It is too bad that this conversation does not reach the ears of those that are buying suv's for the first time.
SCAREY!!!!!!
[/quote]I think you missed my point.Roll a Toyota end over end and it will be a twisted mass of metal.Same with a Ford Explorer or some of that crap built by others.Broncos have a boxed frame making them very strong and safe.Lifting them can be dangerous and unsafe.IF you go too high.Go out and do a Honda end over end and see if you can drive it home.Dad made it home that night and so did the dog.Broncos are safe to drive if you drive like you should with any car or truck.Just watch out for the other fools on the road..Thats what made them run down an 8 foot embankment..A drunk driver running a redlight.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
[quote author=Wildturkey link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=0#msg136459 date=1053920669]
[quote author=feitctaj link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=0#msg136451 date=1053915725]
SCAREY!!!!!!
[/quote]I think you missed my point.Roll a Toyota end over end and it will be a twisted mass of metal.Same with a Ford Explorer or some of that crap built by others.Broncos have a boxed frame making them very strong and safe.Lifting them can be dangerous and unsafe.IF you go too high.Go out and do a Honda end over end and see if you can drive it home.Dad made it home that night and so did the dog.Broncos are safe to drive if you drive like you should with any car or truck.Just watch out for the other fools on the road..Thats what made them run down an 8 foot embankment..A drunk driver running a redlight.
[/quote]Hey wildturkey,
I was refering to the whole subject, not just your comments.
How many times have you seen a wannabeSUV doing something that you know is dangerous only to look closer to see that they are oblivious to the world.

brokenhorse

Bronco Builder
Loc.
Wisconsin
Every car or truck is "safe" Depending on who's driving!Remember "Saftey First carelesness gets you nowhere" ;)

grant_71

Bronco Guru
[quote author=DownhillManiac99 link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=0#msg136575 date=1053991863]
Alright Im a Bronco noob so whats an EB?
[/quote]

Early Bronco aka, classic bronco, old school bronco, not a jeep, etc, refering to the 1966-77 model years, i am not trying to be smart, those are just some of the more common names out there, or as everyone in my family calls it....that thing in the driveway

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
SCAREY!!!!!!
[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend an EB or any off-road vehicle for a first car.

As far as safety, rolling in a Toyota would be a lot safer than in an EB, even an EB witha a cage. Yes the 'yota will be a twisted, totaled wreck but it will be a protective cocoon of a wreck. Most safe concerns of the EB have been mentioned, but I'll ad that both gas tanks are less protected than those on a Pinto.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
I've seen Toyotas that should have been a mild fender bender that have been fatal.Give me old AMERICAN IRON anytime.Toyotas..They make those things out off used beer cans..Cheap and the doors when you slam them go..Prunk..Like I said..

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Not tough at all. I don't have power steering and I don't have a problem, but then again .. I'm strong. They are as small as anything out there. Just the other day I was at the dentist and my Bronco took up less parking area than my dentists jeep Liberty. When i learned to drive I took my road test in a 70 Cadilac sedan DeVille with NO power steering, so everything else seems kinda easy ;)

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
well... I guess the steering shaft could crush ya in a head on... and the tanks are WAY able to be got at by a car slam'n into/under you and that they are as likley to tip as a jeep... but if I hit a toyota, his crumple zone will crumple enough for the 2 of us ;)

I still have to think I'm more safe in my bronco (when I am in my 4 pt harness) than I am in my 97 f150...

But no idea if my beief is correct...

8)