• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

safety concerns please help

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
This is pretty long...sorry

I am a firefighter and have seen a lot of car crashes in my day. Many vehicles have many different safety aspects. I had a cousin go end over end several times down a steep stump field and walk away in an EB. I have seen someone die from a fairly low speed frontal impact (big ass F250). Broncos are very good in roll over and impact situations, they provide a very protective barrier. But...when you see that Volvo and mashed in take a lok at the passenger compartment, probably won't be intruded upon. The mashed front ABSORBED a massive amount of energy so the people wouldn't have to. If you bash into a brick wall with an EB you and your organs are going to be subjected to MASSIVE amounts of force, the Bronco won't absorb much.

Cons:
The earlier Bronco brakes SUCK, even the later model brakes are nothing to rave about. When you lift them they are top heavy. Early ones have lap belts only. Most interior components that you are going to smash into during a crash are steel (ouch). Aux fuel tanks are outside the frame rail. Last but not least, people to stupid things with regards to safety to there rig...then sell 'em.

Pros:
Very protective frame/body from impacts. Holds up well in roll over, even w/o cage (although most cars do better than you think in roll overs). Most EBs will sit a little higher than most cars, allowing most of the force to impact the frame or lower not the door.

Overall:
These old things aren't quite as safe as some may think. They do have there strong points but they also have there weak points...like most rigs. It is all relative to what is happening in the crash.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=Wildturkey link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=15#msg136618 date=1054002041]
.....Give me old AMERICAN IRON anytime....[/quote]

If you are comparing a 'yota to an F-150, that is a completely different argument. The roof of an EB isn't near as strong as a standard size P/U.

....They make those things out off used beer cans..Cheap and the doors when you slam them go..Prunk..Like I said..
You go punch the door of a 'yota and have your little sister punch the door of your Bronco. You and your Bronco will both be in worse shape.
Again, I'm talkin' about an EB, not a full sized Ford.

And I'm not dissing the Bronco at all. I had a yota for a few years of the last millinium and I am much happier with my EB.
I just know 1st hand the pros & cons of each.

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
coming from a guy with a 75 sport...
manual brakes
manual steering

i would say that my bronc isnt hard to drive at all and that driving it in fact has made me a better driver by making me more aware of whats going on around me,
it definitely takes getting used to, but driving an eb, especially if it has power steering or brakes is very possible to do safely...
Paul<><

civilgee

Loc.
Northport, Alabama
I have a stock 66, manual brakes and armstrong steering. Now that I have repaired and replaced weak and damaged components (bushings, steering box) I have no problem driving my bronco anywhere. I have driven it in Washington D.C. traffic and feel safe. I did put a brush guard on the front. People kept pulling out in front of me and slamming there brakes on!!! Overall, I feel very safe in my EB, but I respect its limitations!!!! I agree that a roll bar and over-the-shoulder seat belts are a MUST!!! Its my daily driver and I have no regrets. Oh...my insurance cost more because if I hit somebody I will probably total their car. Steel against tin, steel always wins!!!

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
2 years ago I decided to sell my bronco(I later came to my senses and didn't) anyway, it is your normal lifted 33" tired truck. A guy with a new family wants to buy it for his car instead of a new jeep. I had to talk him out of it. I couldn't imagine him driving around with with 6 month old down the highway with a car seat in the rear.

Broncos were never designed with crash worthiness in mind. Look at the front bumper I side swiped someone and scratched their car. My bumper was pushed up into my front fender and grill and I ripped my fender flair. Not until later did ford put in a collapsable steering column. The gas tank is in the open. The hard top has no reinforcing. The only safety item was lap belts and a padded dash. The doors latches are nothing to write home about either. Side impact protection is non-existant. No head rests if you're rear ended.... To make it even as remotely safe as a mid-sized car let alone a mini-van or SUV, you need to invest a considerable amount of money. Anyone thinking they're safe in stock bronco should think twice. By todays standards they get an F. And with no crumple zones you may be OK when you rear end that honda accord, but something more formidable could cause serious problems. Everyones got a story about how so and so survived such an accident. Everyones got that story where someone not wearing their seat-belt would have died if they weren't lucky enough to be thrown from the car. But it's not the norm.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
[quote author=Skuzzlebutt link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=15#msg136654 date=1054007593]
[quote author=Wildturkey link=board=5;threadid=17831;start=15#msg136618 date=1054002041]
.....Give me old AMERICAN IRON anytime....[/quote]

If you are comparing a 'yota to an F-150, that is a completely different argument. The roof of an EB isn't near as strong as a standard size P/U.

....They make those things out off used beer cans..Cheap and the doors when you slam them go..Prunk..Like I said..
You go punch the door of a 'yota and have your little sister punch the door of your Bronco. You and your Bronco will both be in worse shape.
Again, I'm talkin' about an EB, not a full sized Ford.

And I'm not dissing the Bronco at all. I had a yota for a few years of the last millinium and I am much happier with my EB.
I just know 1st hand the pros & cons of each.

[/quote]Not comparing a EB to a F-150 were we?.Comparing a Toyoto to an EB..Sit on the fender of that Japanese truck and you need a new fender.You must sell those "things"Cheap..Unsafe..Pieces of JUNK!!!

7d7

Loc.
Grass Valley, Ca.
First off I gotta say that anything built a minimum of 26 years ago is gonna hold up a bunch better than most new stuff. As far as safe. Drive safe. Use your head like all these guys have said. Its the dinosaur of the SUV.
I would have to say that it will probably outlast a lot of new beer cans out ther today.
Pride has to come into play as well.
Ford first of all builds great trucks.
Early Broncos are in my mind are on the same lines as a Harley. Sure they are, both Classics.
If your not sure how they drive, Go drive a Jeep and a Landcruiser and then drive an Early Bronco. Not bad.
Stand on the end of the diving board and jump in the waters cold but it aint that deep.....