• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sanderson GT40P Headers - BH vs. Mustang for Early Bronco?

1buckeyefan1

So I'm about to splurge on headers for my 2001 Explorer swap w/ 4R70W. I was planning to buy the ceramic coated ones from Broncohut, but found a set of the ceramic coated mustang ones (FF3GTS-SEC) locally..

I've been digging through threads and found them to be contradicting if the Sanderson/BH/GT40P headers are any different that the Sanderson/Mustang/GT40P headers:

Sykran0G says they don't fit the same here:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2655991&postcount=8

Hozr says they fit here w/ pics:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2656147&postcount=14

I've studied the pics and honestly, they look the same to me. I'm going to go check them out tomorrow and bring my explorer manifolds w/ me for reference.. but does anyone know:

1.) the Sanderson Part number for the ones the BH sells?
2.) Or better yet, if Sanderson Headers FF3GTS-SEC work for early Bronco GT40P/4R70W?

I've attached pics of both... perhaps someone w/ a trained eye can tell me the difference...or better yet confirm if they've successfully used the mustan) (FF3GTS-SEC) headers?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/snh-ff3gtssec

https://www.broncohut.com/BRONCO-HU...aders-V8-1-1_2-or-1-5_8/productinfo/BH-09129/

Attachments

• Sanderson Headers FF3GTS-SEC.jpg
    Sanderson Headers FF3GTS-SEC.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Sanderson Headers Local.jpg
    Sanderson Headers Local.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54
  • BH-09129 Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers V8 Bronco (1).jpg
    BH-09129 Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers V8 Bronco (1).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 52

1970 Palmer

First, let me say I cannot answer your question.

I have never had a set of headers that "just bolted on" without any modifications. They all need a little tweaking, maybe it's just a bolt hole, or some extra room around a spark plug for a socket. My point is, why would you buy headers that are already ceramic coated before you try them on your application? If you need to make any modifications you will be sick. How about the "Y" or "X" pipe? Would you not want that also coated?

I'm a big fan of ceramic coating on exhaust systems. It keeps the heat inside the pipe, and has less radiant heat. My last ceramic coated exhaust system was done Tip to Tip in Satin Black and look like new after ten years of use.

I would fabricate the entire system, make your changes, pull it apart, and have it coated. Many of the larger volume powder coat shops, now have added ceramic coating facilities.

John

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

The guy that answers the tech line for Sanderson is super helpful and nice. Give them a try/shout.

Thanks, i called earlier and they said the passenger side was the same (mustang vs. BH), but weren't 100% sure on the driver's side. I'm going to call back tomorrow and they said they'd check further.

Agreed on fitment first. Was hoping to find someone that had 'field' experience and save a hunt to find a ceramic coater. My local powder coater doesn't do ceramic.. and most folks i've found seem to do cerakote for firearms, not headers. But i'm sure they're around

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I think the only possible problem may be z-bar interference on the driver side. An auto tranny or hydraulic clutch fixes that. I installed Ford Motorsport stainless steel, Mustang, shorty headers in my wife's Bronco with GT40P heads no problem, but it has a C4 tranny.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I think the only possible problem may be z-bar interference on the driver side. An auto tranny or hydraulic clutch fixes that. I installed Ford Motorsport stainless steel, Mustang, shorty headers in my wife's Bronco with GT40P heads no problem, but it has a C4 tranny.
That's good news. I'll be running a 4r70w auto transmission.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

theshadow

BBK unequal length shorties for 5.0 mustang fit the Ps, I can personally verify.

I had them on my old E7 heads and they interfered with the clutch linkage, do I converted to a hydraulic clutch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jonny5

Oh man, I'm in exactly the same boat on my swap/restoration. Let me know, $600 is a lot to spend on headers.... I would feel more comfortable with a 350-400 dollar option.

theshadow

I haven't run them with the Ps yet, just mocked them up with plugs installed to make sure they fit before I send them out to get ceramic coated.

I would agree they seem to have less clearance than the sanderson's. I came across them fitting the Ps with the Mustang crowd, didn't hear anything about wires getting hot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I have Sanderson shorty headers on a 351 Cleveland in my 76 Bronco. I know it is a different engine, but had no alterations to the headers. I did use the heavy duty motor mounts that raise the engine a 'little'. Right header is 'close' to the frame (on a 351C). Also, running a Hurst 4 speed. Not much info here.:) Good luck on your header fit.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looks like the ones I mentioned aren't made any more. Too bad to because they were only a little over a couple hundred bucks, and had the ball and socket type connection that used no gasket.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

The guy that answers the tech line for Sanderson is super helpful and nice. Give them a try/shout.

So i got ahold of Carlos @ Sanderson today and he gave me the scoop:

BH is FF7GTS and made exclusively for them. The passenger side is the same and the driver side is slightly different in that it is "bent slightly back" more.

He wasn't entirely sure if the FF3GTS would work on our early broncos. He did say they tend to "hug" the engine a bit more. He also wasn't sure if/why the change was made to the FF7GTS to better accommodate EB's. Based on the pics, the main difference appears to be the #7 (?) pipe goes on the 'outside' vs. the FF3GTS pipe routes to the 'inside', but the route for the plug wire appears to be the same?

I'm going to check out the FF3GTS's local to me and I'll report back.

Attachments

• BH headers.jpg
    BH headers.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 73
  • BH Headers 2.jpg
    BH Headers 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

1marteck

I just received my Bronco Hut headers and the two in one exhaust system. I bought the stainless header option. Made in China! The headers seem to bolt up fine and clear must be a copy of the Sanderson. One collector has an incomplete weld and a 3/16” hole on outside in plain sight! Ceramic coated headers were $640, 16 gauge steel headers $440. Last two are Sanderson made in SF, CA. Stainless are going back to BH exchange for Sanderson.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those successfully fitting Mustang headers (of any brand or style) to an EB, what year Mustangs were they designed to fit? We've been over this for as long as there have been EB-specific headers and there are plenty of stories of passenger side header flanges sitting right on top of the frame rail. So it was not a fluke and was very common. To the point that either the headers were returned, or were heavily modified to make installation possible.
And why most of us have avoided Mustang headers over the years.

But with several people over the last couple of years saying they had no trouble at all with Mustang headers, I'm curious if we're talking about different year models here.

So if you have any details to fill in the blanks, they'd be interesting to hear.
Thanks.

Paul

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm going to be in the market for headers soon. Back in about 2012 I bought a set of headers for a 64 falcon, uncoated, had to modify them for the GT40P heads. Now the passenger side sounds like it's developed a leak. When I checked it out, they appear to have heavy rot going on, so I'm done trying to find the leak. They need to be replaced. So...I need to know which way to go!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to look up what these are, they are for a mustang and fit my P heads great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200618-212415_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200618-212415_Gallery.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 108

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I doubt those would work easily in an early Bronco. Maybe with a 351 and some custom exhaust work?
The passenger side on that is aimed slightly downward and looks to me at least like it would exit right on to the top of the passenger frame rail.
Not a problem in the vehicle that we're looking at, but in an EB there is not that room as pictured.

paul