• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scary noise

jimmymac

While turning off of the street into a fairly steep driveway ( slowly ) I gave it some gas and heard a sound like chain rubbing fast against metal. Afterward I punched it a couple of times on flat street but everything seemed ok.Drove it a couple of miles home seemed ok.Also, what temp should it be running at around town stop lights etc.I have a 77 302 auto

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

will go back to same spot today and see if i see anything rubs in same position

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Ahh sounds very familiar. I had a similar noise that happened only when I got on it. Took it to a shop and they couldn't find it either. (did find all my trans to motor bolts were loose though!! :eek:

Went to change the starter to a smaller one after some issues with it one day. Found the drive gear spring was broken, and all but gone. causing the starter shaft to bounce off the flywheel when inertia overcame what was left of the spring.

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

sorry don't understand last reply.i'm a rookie, how do i check this, by pulling off the starter?

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
That's about the only way. You MAY be able to reach up there by the flywheel and pull the starter gear out with you fingers. It should pull itself back in when you let go. They aren't very light or easy to put back in. I went with the smaller gear reduction starter and it takes a few minutes to put in and weighs a fraction of what the original did.

Let me know if that didn't make any sense!!

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it possible your tire got into a fender?

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
jimmymac said:
While turning off of the street into a fairly steep driveway ( slowly ) I gave it some gas and heard a sound like chain rubbing fast against metal. Afterward I punched it a couple of times on flat street but everything seemed ok.Drove it a couple of miles home seemed ok.Also, what temp should it be running at around town stop lights etc.I have a 77 302 auto

I think that your tire was rubbing your radius arm. The knobby tires
give it a sound like what you have described.

Go turn your steering to full lock and see if the tire is close.

Andrew