• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

scary steering

homesickaggie

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
Ok, I know Broncos aren't famous for razor-sharp steering, but mines out of control. I used to think it was the rubber bushings in the pitman arm, tire rod, etc. beacause they ARE shot, but when I turn the steering shaft with my hand i see the arm from the box not move exactly with the shaft. I have power steering but that shouldn't have anything to do with slack in the gearbox (if that's what it is). There is about 4"-5" at the wheel and it's scary. Especially wen I have to get on the brakes!:eek:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Here's my guess in order of the worse steering play causes:

1) Worn track bar bushings

2) Worn Tie-rods/ drag link

3) Box is worn-out and loose from the frame

4) Steering U-Joint is bad

I had all the above problems, and then I went to Bullet-Proof steering with tie-rod over knuckle, Bullet-Proof track bar and I rebuilt the steering box. Needless to say, it solved all that.

OP
OP
H

homesickaggie

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
I know the bushings are bad but I don't think thats the main reason, and I know it's not the U-joint. I can see the difference in the box so I'm guessing thats it. How would I go about rebuilding it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey aggie, I think the "bushings" you are referring to are just the seals, or boots, that keep dirt out of the actual ball-and-socket joint that is the actual tie-rod end (or draglink end).
Although they don't indicate directly a worn out joint, they are a reasonable indication that they are well used and probably on their way out.
So you say there is a lot of play just in the box? When you move the steering shaft by hand while looking down at the box, how much of a turn does it take before your pitman arm starts to move?
Yes, you may need a rebuild for your box, but like 76Broncofromhell said, you may be able to get rid of a lot of the overall play by replacing the other components if they're worn out so check them first.
The best way to test the whole system is to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, over and over. Not all the way, but just enough to make the tires wiggle. You don't need to go farther than that and you don't have to have the engine running if power steering. And leave the tires on the ground so the weight of the truck is on them.
While your helper is jiggling the wheel, you can lay under the front and look closely at EVERY JOINT from your steering box's mounting bolts, to your rod ends, and all the way out to the balljoints and wheel bearings. If anything is loose, you will see it move where it's not supposed to. If anything moves without moving the next part that it's attached to, it's bad and needs to be replaced. This stuff is normally TIGHT. No play at all. And your tierod should move sideways smoothly, with no rotational movement except for maybe just a little. Any more than a "little" and you waste some of your steering just twisting and not steering.
Now's the best time to look CLOSELY at both the upper and lower trackbar mounting points. Even if it means sticking your finger up in the mount near the upper bolt where you can't see it, to "feel" if it's moving. It should not move at all. Next to a bad steering box, this part is probably the one that will give you the most steering "play", but they can all add up.
As for your question on rebuilding the box, I've only done a manual box and that was easy. Others here have done power boxes so they may have all the ins and outs on it.
I've had shops do it, but not done it myself.
Good luck. Actually, once you get the front end tight, a Bronco will handle and steer surprisingly tight and well for a truck.

Paul

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Mine was the same way. Check out the splines where the rag joint is on the steering shaft. Grab the shaft where the u-joint is and turn it side to side, you will feel the steering wheel is loose from the rest of the shaft. I replaced it with the WH collapsable shaft.
-Eric