• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

School me on Aux tanks...

Rocket600R

I'm assuming they were an option yet it seems more rare to see a bronco without one...

I tried digging online with little luck...

We're they offered with specific packages?

Thx

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I'm guessing someone more knowledgable than me will chime in, but I always thought two tanks were standard.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The aux tank was always an option but it was only a $44 option (1972) and it included heavier front springs.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Maybe someone can explain why the aux tank went from 11 gallons to 7.5 gallons in the early 70's. The aftermarket aux tank on mine holds 12 gallons.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Maybe someone can explain why the aux tank went from 11 gallons to 7.5 gallons in the early 70's. The aftermarket aux tank on mine holds 12 gallons.

That was about the time the closed charcoal vent system appeared.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
It also had to do with impact studies and federal standards. At some point they realized that an 11 gallon tank with 11 gallons of fuel in it had no deformation ability without rupturing and causing spillage and fire risk. The same tank with 7.5 gallons offered a lot less risk of rupture and fire. I think the only thing that changed was the design of the filler and vent tubes in the tank in a way that limited the amount of fuel that could be put in.

bludorbronc

There used to be a side tank for the passenger side, it was aftermarket, dont remember who made it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I removed mine.
Didn't like sitting on top of it.
Just seemed like an unnecessary risk.
I do understand why some of them fellers need the extra fuel capacity but it has not been an issue for me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It was a much needed option. All the dealers quickly realized that customers were not happy with the limited range of just the main tank. So they tended to always check the aux tank option. Without it a sub 100 mile range was a real possibility. I had a '71 that was factory single tank. Going to school 120 miles away I had to stop halfway there since I didn't trust that I could really make it. Math said I could, but if there was any hiccup (construction, accident, bad weather, brush fire) I would run out. I insisted that my next Bronco had duel tanks. And later I went aftermarket with the main and the aux wasn't needed anymore.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 74 came from the factory without the aux tank. I added it years ago. The poly tank is now cracked and I've yet to replace it.

Will be going EFI soon so new tanks are in order......

Tim

slim811

Contributor
MY first 72 had two tanks. Oh the fun of running out of gas in one tank, quickly reaching between your legs switching the fuel tank valve to the other tank all on the fly. Pretty much a necessity in the 70's with not having gas stations on every corner and closing at 11 PM. Plus as mentioned for long distance trips. Now a days with my one tank 71 I kind of like stopping frequently for gas at the local mini mart. Gives someone a chance to ask me about my Bronco. :)

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
I decided to fix the poly tank in my 77 last fall. I filled with water to check for leaks, no issues so all guts and flange seal were replaced. Skid plate was gone so I had to get a new one (JBG). Filler neck was a PITA to get on but now that its together I like the added range. I debated the "safety" aspects many times and almost pulled the trigger on a 25 gallon rear but decided to go for it...... God forbid I get into an accident its not like these old girls have a 5 star safety rating. For peace of mind I run the Aux tank first then switch to the rear..... But now I know I've got reasonable range... 200+miles.

slowRoaner

Loc.
Durango
Could someone measure the height of the aux tank at its deepest point?

I just cut my rockers off for sliders, and am considering buying a aux tank, but dont know if it will fit.

I have a 2" body lift, and would put a skid plate below the tank. It would just be favorable if the skid plate was flush with the bottom of the sliders

thanks,
slow

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Aero Tanks makes one for the passenger side.

Aero will make you about anything you want if you call and talk to them. For my EFI tank, I'm going with an 18gal (approx.) rear so it doesn't hang down so low. I'll be getting a new aux tank too.

Give them measurements of what you need and they will ado their best to make it for you.

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Could someone measure the height of the aux tank at its deepest point?

I just cut my rockers off for sliders, and am considering buying a aux tank, but dont know if it will fit.

I have a 2" body lift, and would put a skid plate below the tank. It would just be favorable if the skid plate was flush with the bottom of the sliders

thanks,
slow

If you have cut off your rockers you are officially a "hard core" off roader.
With that being said.....I think I would not be running an auxilary tank. You might rip it out from under the truck, ofcourse without a good skid plate you could do the same with the rear tank which is why some guys use a fuel cell in the bed of their Bronco.
If I were hardcore I would probably do the rear aftermarket tank with a healthy skid plate.
But thats just me.....I am an aux. tank chicken, boc, boc, boc....