• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

(searched) any thoughts on BFG AT vs. Greneral Grabber AT2?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

Been running the BFG AT for years and we all know its great and indestructible. Just curious if anyone has any experience with the General Grabber AT2 as an alternative.

I can't make sense of the tire rack reviews. They all seem biased towards newer rigs.

Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I did search but came up empty handed.

Brett

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I am a Yokohama Geolandar fan now that I have a set of those. Cost was better. Quiet riding.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Always had the best luck with BFG All terrains, I did have a set of General tires on a Nissan truck once and they were ok, but seemed to get really loud as they got worn down. But that was along time ago.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Generals came on my 2001 brand X 1500 ext 4x4 and they were JUNK. They were street ties not A/T's or M/T's. In 40K miles they were bald to the point cords were showing.

I've had good luck with Cooper A/T's (were called ATR's now AT3's) (also sold under the Pep Boys house brand name) on my full size trucks and plan to get them on my 2500HD when the current tires are done.

For M/T's on the Bronco, I'm looking at Mastercraft also a division of Cooper so I'm told.

Tim

68stang73

I put the Cooper MAXX tire on my 79 f150 short bed. And love them. 35x12.50 x20" wheel. Check them out. Their is also a few video reviews on them too.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
BFG ATs get bought for every 4WD I have that spends most of its time on the road. Been running them as far back as I can remember, I have gotten over 80K miles from a set or two.

Digger556

I have been a BFG guy for years, but after the last two sets of tires (KM2s and KOs) I was ready to swear them off. The wet traction performance was not as good as a real street tire and the design hadn't seen a true update in years. KM2s were a step backwards in performance IMHO.

Then came the KO2. Reviews were great. It caught my attention. I also looked at the Cooper S/T MAXX's my buddy was running since he was also a discerning person with a background in stability control systems.

I went with 37" KO2 for the Bronco because they have a true Winter performance rating now. Immediately there was a noticeable difference in the tire construction. We've had a lot of snow and ice this winter and the Bronco, even in just 2WD noticeably out performs my other car and truck in the snow. It is much more difficult to get the truck loose on ice, which is what I was shooting for given the nature of a short wheelbase/high HP vehicle.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BFG ATs get bought for every 4WD I have that spends most of its time on the road. Been running them as far back as I can remember, I have gotten over 80K miles from a set or two.

I was going to say this same thing but why bother when 00gyrhed said it so well.
He took the damn words right out of my mouth.....even the 80K thing.....

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
Another fan for KO2's, but I haven't tried them on a Bronco yet, just an F350.

thorgan

BFG vs General

I've had both BFG AT's and General AT2's on my 2001 Dodge 2500. Both were 315/75R16 so about 34" high.

The first set of BFG's were what I call the "Gen 2" all terrains which had the long radial tread blocks on the sidewall. They were good tires and lasted about 40K miles. They didn't make much in the way of noise although my benchmark at the time was a set of 38" boggers on my Bronco so...pretty much anything would be quiet in comparison. Dry pavement traction was fine and I never really had any issues with balance. Snow traction seemed good although I was comparing them to a set of worn out Nitto's which were terrible. I did a decent amount of offroading and they proved to be very durable under my 7200 lb Dodge. There have been plenty of reviews that describe the traction available from these tires in various types of dirt and mud so I won't repeat those reviews other than to say my findings were similar.

Then I tried a set of Grabber AT2's. I was very impressed! They seemed comparable to the BFG's in every way (durability, noise, balance, and traction) with one exception. They had the best snow traction I've ever experienced! Far superior to the BFG's in this respect. I began to wonder why since the tread patterns seem very similar. Then I took a closer look and the Grabbers have more lateral siping than the BFG's. Sadly, I can't say how they are as far as longevity is concerned. I spent a lot of time with my 3500 lb slide-in camper in this truck and learned what repeated overloading of a tire can result in. They only had maybe 20K miles on them when, just this past summer, I had one blow a sidewall. I don't blame the tires for this because of the load conditions they were subjected to. Incidentally, the BFG's were subjected to the loading of a big toyhauler I used to tow and they never had a blowout. Tongue load of the trailer was advertised at 2500 lbs so, in this case, the tires were not over their load rating.

I was going to replace the Grabbers with another set of the same when I discovered that the brand new BFG AT's (what I call "Gen 3" with much larger sidewall tread blocks) have every bit of the lateral siping that the AT2's have plus the thicker sidewall tread, higher load rating, and they were cheaper. I was excited to get to know these tires well but, only about 200 miles after I installed them, my engine blew a head gasket and scored a cylinder so it's been parked since September.

I can say this though - my Bronco is desperately in need of tires (the old BFG MT's it's had for years are starting to rot from old age) and the tires I've chosen as replacements are the Gen 3 BFG AT's even though I still have no experience with them. My hope is that, with all the lateral siping, they'll prove to be as good in the snow as the AT2's while being the typical legendary BFG AT's everywhere else.

Hope this helps.

jwhit

Grabber

i have been running grabber at2 since last novmeber i love them
only complaint is that they live up to name .they grab rocks and gravel in treads from my road and when you get on paved roads they sling out rocks
good thing my flares catch most of them

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've run both on my big trucks. I prefer the General AT2s.