• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

seperating the 3 speed trans from transfer case

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
the tranny and transfer case is out and on the ground i removed the 5 bolts that are bolted to the adpter should this now come apart ? if so witch i think it should what is the trick? thanks.

buckva73

Loc.
Goochland (Richmond)
It should have some sealant around it, so its going to take a little persuasion. I take a flat head screwdriver and lightly tap it in to separate. Not sure if right or not but that is what I do.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There's a dowel pin between the 2 pieces so it has to go straight back to seperate them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And don't pull it apart until you lock it in 1st gear!
Ok, so it can be done successfully without doing that, but it helps a lot. If you do that, you don't have to keep all your attention on not pulling the output shaft out so far that the inner roller bearings fall into the case.

There's a tool that you can make, that spans the two shift lever arms to keep one in neutral while the other is in first.
Well worth figuring out before you start yanking.

Paul

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Someone told me to just zip tie the two arms in first gear. Worked well. I just tapped on the edge with a hammer and pulled it apart.

OP
OP
L

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
well i guess what i needed to know at the time of my first post was where it came apart at? trans to adapter or transfer case to adapter i beleve its at the transfer case ok?so thats where i make the split now what about this first gear thing is there bearings that could fall into case ? tranny or transfer?could i just put something between the two linkages on trans to keep it in 1st? the tranny in my bronc is in a 75 and the one i want to put in there i'am not sure what year it is i beleve there should be casting #'s on it thanks

OP
OP
L

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
hello ok the numbers on the tag of the tranny i would like to use says RAT-AH then below that it has 010652 then also on the adapter it has c-18-19-74 would that indacate the year? thanks.