• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I build a Bronco trailer?

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
After looking at the trailer in the new bronco driver I am wanting one. I have 70 bronco that I am working on that needs new floor pans , top, hood, passenger side fender, windshield frame, new grill, maybe some inner fender work,new tail gate, and new wiring. I have already replaced an inner rocker panel, outer rocker panel, and a a door post. I already bought a used grill, new windshield frame, new fender, and a 2 inch body lift. I have started working the floor pans(weld in new tunnel cover). Should I sell the parts I bought except the body lift, put the 302 and trans in my 6 cylinder bronco, and make the 70 a trailer. I only paid 800 for the 70 and it has its problems.

Have I gone mad or is this wise? The 70 needs alot of work. It would be less trouble to make it in a trailer, i think.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I think those trailers are cool. You might piss some people off by choppin one up into a trailer, but why no go for it. It wouldnt take much to make one with what you have, and its also a nice touch to add to an EB, IMO

OP
OP
Broncoman

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
One complaint i have is with the back seat you have no space to haul stuff. The trailer would be useful and cool.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Thats the main reason I like those. If I could find a junked out rig at the right price, I would make one for that reason alone. Think of all the stuff you could put in one of those, probably any extra of anything you could ever need on the trail to get back, and still have 3 or 4 peope in the eb comfortably. I guess the most expensive part (besides the rig for the trailer) would be if you wanted to add matching wheels and tires to the trailer.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If you have the parts and time, Go for it!....

I have the parts but no time.. Maybe later after some projects are completed.

Mark in Memphis

A trailer would be a great project for a Bronco that only has a salvage title. All of the Bronco trailers I've seen stopped at the rear of the door jamb. I thought it would be cool to make the trailer come all the way up to the cowl. Then it would be long enough to sleep in! It might look funky though with the tires not centered.

yak67

Bronco Guru
I want to make one if I could find a cheap tub. I say go for it!

kens71

Loc.
Sumter, S.C.
I'm gonna help a freind put two tubs together this spring. Tailgate front and rear.Should give us at least another foot of length over just one. wondering how the flares would look though.
The way the guy used the hubs as a parking brake in the Broncodriver writeup is simply genius.

OP
OP
Broncoman

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I would use the body only. I wouldn't chop the frame. The way I see it is this. Why build the 70 up only to later sell it. If I had to part with one of my broncos it would not be the 72. I can spend that extra cash on the 72 and have something that is pretty cool and functional. I will sell the frame and glove box door. Then sell the other parts and buy the metal to build a frame much like the one in bronco drive. This Bronco needs way more work than i really can afford right now anyway. If I don't build a trailer i could sell the bronco. I really don't know what i wanna do. I kinda wish i wouldn't have spent my money on this bronco. HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO!

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
I say trailer it dude, heck! I had a burned up bronco when I bought this one and was going to... till the damn PO sold it out from under me.... RAAA! anyway, good luck, either way, you cant go wrong :-X

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Build the trailer and then post some pictures. I would hate to see anyone cut up a good Bronco for one but yours is a different case.

BTW I Roll Tide most of the time but I War Eagle occasionally.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Haven't seen the pic yet but sounds cool! Would ya use the grill for the front of the trailer too?

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
hey thats a good idea! use the front grill as a sort of bulkhead... that would be cool! then put some optimas on there, and walah! lights to see if you get a flat or need to set up camp or something.. I like it! ;D

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
;)

I didn't even think of putting lights in there, however if I did that, I would just run them off the truck (use a 5 or 6 way plug), then I would make them so they quick disconnect and have long wires on them so you can put them where you want them. Would be easy to do. Just put a magnet on them for mounting anywhere including in the hole (put a plate behind it)

May be a little over kill but that would trick it out nicely! And be very usefull camping!

Too bad I already have an 18ft trailer and too many projects, cause that would be a kick ass project! And a good way to justify a fiberglass body on the 73 so I could use the current one for a trailer! ;D (won't happen)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been considering how hard it would be to find an old '65 or so ford pickup with the same rear body lines as a Bronco. Just get it as a pickup bed trailer or make on into one. Cut out the fenders and put on some flares to match. It would give you a tone more room then a bronco bed would. You could probably even adapt the bronco spare tire carrier onto it just for grins. Protofab makes bumpers for full size trucks these days, you could get one to match (you would probably have to modify the bumper mounts though).

I currently have an '82 F150 that is now a trailer. That 8' bed is great for sleeping in. Flat, no rocks in your back, for a while I had a camper shell on it so I would even stay dry. Also works great for hauling landscaping materials or old engines so the carpet in the bronco stays relitavly clean. I recently got fancy with mine and added a dump bed and hooked up the brakes to a surge coupler.