• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

should i get a bronco?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Will they last ? Shoot, they have lasted 30+ years so far ;D If you want a honest opinion , don't get in over your head with the lift kit / big tires. If you are using it as mostly daily transportation stock or a small lift is okay with 31 , 32, or 33 inch tires. As far as the safty questions go , anything can kill you. I wouldn't be surprised if the facts showed, more Explorers have rolled over than early Broncos were built. Not every new car / truck built today is safe. When buying used it is even worse. There are a lot of wrecks out there on the road today that wouldn't handle a crash half as well as a bronco. You have to be careful today no matter what you buy. That is all from me. Good luck

66horse

Bronco Guru
dmb2187 said:
an explorer gets 15-16. i just talked to my mom, and her concerns were exactly what you adressed, 66horse. my siblings were givin cars with the expectation of having it last them through college and a little after (5 years or so, since they both got the cars when they were seniors).

i think the fact that there hasnt been a person who recommends not getting the bronco should help. i plan on buying part of it myself, so hopefully ill be able to get it before senior year. ya'll seem to think it will last, so ill take my argument to my dad.

thanks again for all the help. and please keep responding, the more the merrier!

Explorers get 15-16 - is that what the factory sticker said? I would try to find someone with an explorer of the ear model you would be looking at and see what they actually get today after 3 -5 years. Might be the same, might not. But I have never gotten what the factory claims as milage (even on a brand new vehicle). I realize some of this is my driving style but my point is to talk to poeple about that one and not just take the Ford numbers on it.

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
thats about what my mom gets on her 00 limited explorer (with the V8).

$20,000-$45,000 in them? thats incredible! im willing to wait for somethin like that. is there anywhere i should check out besides here and ebay to find a deal like that? even somethin not quiet that good but still a deal would be awesome.

yeah, ive been lookin for the already modded broncs...unfortunately i like the look with the 35's better than with the 33's. i guess ill have to seceed that, show my dad im willing to compromise ;D

anything else i should look for? so far ive got:
fuel injection
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Front discs
Roll bar

66horse

Bronco Guru
here is a good place to look

Collector Car Trader Online

Ya I like 35s better to, here is the difference in what they look like.
a 35 on the front and a 33 on the rear.

Attachments

• p4130033.jpg
    p4130033.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 312

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
This is a no brainer. It is no contest. I mean do you think there is an Explorer Forum? Can you see a young college man driving one? That would be about like driving mom's station wagon. There is no way you could fix anything with out mega dollars worth of diagnostic tools. If you open the hood you would be lucky to find the engine. The Bronco is the best!

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
Get a used range rover or a Jeep! Cheaper in the long run and alot less heartache.

FLAME SUITE ON!;D

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
Are you insane. Parts are out of this world expensive for a range rover eventhe older body styles...but they are badass offroad. Trust me on this one, I my dad has a Range Rover and I LandRover Discovery and parts are fawkn expensive and gas milage isnt hte best at all. I like my bronco better than both!!! Hands down. Heres a pic of the rover though.

Attachments

• dscn0758.jpg
    dscn0758.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 287

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
dbevans2249 said:
I mean do you think there is an Explorer Forum?
YES: http://www.explorer4x4.com/
they can be very capable 4x4s I own one
66horse said:
Explorers get 15-16 - is that what the factory sticker said? I would try to find someone with an explorer of the ear model you would be looking at and see what they actually get today after 3 -5 years. Might be the same, might not. But I have never gotten what the factory claims as milage (even on a brand new vehicle). I realize some of this is my driving style but my point is to talk to poeple about that one and not just take the Ford numbers on it.
I got a 94 with 160,000 miles on it no major problems and get closer to 20 mpg hwy

U

Unregistered

I'm 19 and finally got something half descent after two years of searching about a year ago. I live in PA and anywhere there is snow you are bound to find nothing but a fixer upper thats all rusted out. Doesn't mean you can't find a good one, its just unlikely. Gonna have to look down south or out west for something fairly rust free depending on where you are located. Of course something that old will have its problems depending on the price...some rust...poor paint...some leaks...maybe a worn out driveline. It does help if you have some knowledge on repairing vehicles, but since they are old they can be repaired cheap. Like someone else said, although you may not think of it...they do pick up chicks. Mines lifted with 35's and a built, loud 351...chicks relate it to a hummer they tell me. Something around 10 grand will get you something fairly reliable. Get a 76 or 77 if you want power steering, power brakes, and disk brakes (a 75 might have these too). Obviously gas mileage isnt great and will probalby be a 3 speed, not like the modern 5 spd. The dont handle like a new vehicle and might take some getting use to. Trust me...you will love one when you get one.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last year when I was in Char. NC I saw 6+ in a few days a couple were very nice.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
Be original!!!...There aren't too many broncos out there. You will get a lot of attention. Your gas mileage will probalby be around 10-13 mpg depending on your setup. Expect to run 89 or 93 octane though....not much more expensive. A classic bronco vs. the explorer (which is actually the bronco...just changed names) is not even an option!!!! You will enjoy the classic Bronco soo much more. The previous unregistered user post is me too if I'm not answering much questions. There is just so much to write about. For 14 grand you can get something really nice if you look in the right places. www.collectorcartrader.com is by far the best place to look. Also like another user said....get what you want WHEN you buy it. It will save you a lot of money that way. This is things like lift, type of engine setup, maybe tranny setup, paint color and quality, window gaskets. Hope this helps you out.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have my Bronco at college and it's not that bad. I mean I COULD have left it stock, but where's the fun in that? It just needs routine maintanence (mine gets the oil changed every 1500-2000 miles). Mine get's about 10mpg with 6 inches of lift and 35's with an Overdrive tranny and a hot 408 stroker. Compared to my friends with lifted newer trucks, (92 Z-71 on 35's, 96 Cherokee on 33's, '01 Tahoe on 35's) they also get around 10 miles to the gallon. The one true thing, is that these things bring in girls and car enthusiasts alike. Even guys on Harley's wave at you (not those new-age yuppie harley owners either).

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
89 or 93 octane??????????????? Explain that one. All of mine have run perfectly fine on the cheap gas.%)

66horse

Bronco Guru
77BroncoWag said:
89 or 93 octane??????????????? Explain that one. All of mine have run perfectly fine on the cheap gas.%)

Yep I run on cheap gas too.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Bronco's have been on my brain for over 17 years now. It all started when I was about 10 or so, I went hunting with my Dad and his buddy at his buddy's ranch. He had 2 Broncos. I rode in one, and got to drive it a little too (we taped blocks to the pedals) and ever since I have wanted one.

I turned 20, decided that college wasn't for me and got a job. Still the Bronco on the brain, finally I sold most of my earthly posessions, plus the money I had saved and I bought my baby. An orange 76 with a half cab. I knew by that time that I wanted a later model with the D44, discs, P/S and such. I hated the orange when I bought it, and promised myself that I would repaint it soon. I traded off the half cab, put in a rear seat, and drove it every day until it lost compression. It sat in storage for 2 years, while I saved up money, and I brought it back in a good way. New motor, lift (wish I had done this differently), and appreciation for what I have.

I drive my Bronco every single day, nearly 100 miles round trip. It goes to the farm, deer lease and I drive it to go wheelin' (no trailer queen here, but I don't get into anything that may damage it) Sure it smells funny, has drips here and there, but it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In nearly 7 years of daily driving, abuse and the poor judgement I had in my early 20's it has only left me stranded 2 times needing a tow. Once the t-case shifter broke and it shifted into neutral (I had no tools with me, I was out on a date), and the other time, my distributor gave up the ghost. I do work on it most weekends, a lot of it is maintenance that I choose to perform because I still like to work on it. Last tally of the total tickets, I have just over 17K in it, but I refuse to cut corners on anything, so I end up paying a premium for high quality parts. (as much as I enjoy working on it, I don't approve of crappy parts, just to work on it again)

14k will get you a pretty amazing rig. 33" tires aren't a bad deal at all for daily driving, just make sure that you drive it and get comfortable with how it handles. Bronco's are much heavier than a lot of modern cars, so you have to remember to anticipate any braking situation. It will squeak, rattle, it may leak when it rains, the seats may be worn out, but you will get used to it. There may come a time when you just feel uncomfortable in another vehicle...

If I had that kind of money to work with, I would look for a rig between 10 and 12k, and put the rest in a repair/upgrade fund. Surely you will find something you can or need to do shortly after taking delivery, just keep that in mind.

BTW - My Bronco is still orange, and when I finally do repaint, it will be orange. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I think I am going to have to take a different slant on this. My first car was a 66 mustang. I bought it when I was 15 and spent that year restoring it to like new condition. The problem was that it was still an OLD CAR. I can remember several times when I was on a date and the car wouldn't start. It was very embarassing. I also remember my 30 minute drive to my high school in the summer with no AC. It wasn't good to take on trips and I know when I got to college I was always going somewhere on the weekends. I agree that with $14K you can buy one heck of a Bronco, but to be young and it be your only vehicle for the next 5 years I'm not so sure I would recommend that route. I sold my mustang after a year and bought a late model car. Later on I got back into classic vehicles when I bought my first bronco while I was in college and had a car as a second vehicle to take on interviews or take trips home in. You said yourself that you don't want a project. I dare say that even a $14k Bronco will be somewhat of a project. You will always have to deal with the modifications that the previous owner didn't do quite right or electrical grimlins that seem to pop up at the worst possible moment. Any used vehicle will have its fair share of problems yes, but a 30 year old truck will have more problems than the average late model vehicle.

I say buy a newer car/truck/suv and save up for a Bronco when you are ready for a project. Good luck no matter what you decide!

Swaayze

Loc.
DFW, TX
Just for fun: picture a spring afternoon, partly cloudy skies and 80 degrees. The head cheerleader is checkin' you out in your sweet convertible Bronco while QB Biff drives by unnoticed in his Explorer!

Can you even lose the top on an Explorer? I don't think so Timmy!

The Explorer is a nice vehicle, but not nearly as fun. I decided I liked the early Broncos in high school, but I was a muscle car fan as well and they won out for the next few years. Over the years the EBs were always on my mind, and I looked at some for sale once in a while but couldn't afford and/or justify it at the time. I finally got one on a whim at 35 yo, and am getting ready to start fixing it up.

The moral: You will have one eventually. I say go for it now: if you've got that kind of cash now (you won't for a while after high school) you can get a very nice, reliable old Bronco with whatever form/modifications you please. If it doesn't fit you in a year or 2, you should be able to sell it and be out very little $$.

Good Luck

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Find a good early bronco and your dad will realize what he has been missing in his younger days next thing you'll know is dad is taking your bronco for a drive. And then he's going to want one to play with for himself.

Look for a 76/77 if you don't have smog check in your town. These years came stock with disc brakes in front and bigger drum brakes in rear, Also has power steering and power brakes if it was an auto. You'll probably want an automatic anyway. If you look hard enough and don't jump into it you could find a decent bronco with most upgrade done well for half that price you're allow to spend.
I also got a 96 explorer (Girlfriend's) that I maintain and recently the ABS went out. It would of cost me $1500. to fix so I deleted it and put the funds to my Broncos.
All in all you'll be "Happy" with an EB and all the attention it gets so good luck in finding one (or two, one for dad). So take your time and choose wisely. Another note is rust so find one with the least amount of rust because bodywork is expensive if you don't do it yourself. But then again you could learn on it as we all do.