• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

should i get a bronco?

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
You will find it cheaper to have something older than newer and worth more espically if its an antique.(except for gas milage). Face it you have to work on everything or pay someone to do it.
Insurance is lower on mine and city taxes are Free.

EB is a novice machine its very basic to own and work on, parts and information are avalible everywhere. Set some guide lines in what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay and a price range.

Example: Wanted running 73 sport automatic, PB, PS, Disc front brakes, little rust, Willing to pay $3500, Price range:$1000 to $3000. I settled for a $600 67' runnning with everything. I took the rest of the money and spent it on a new clutch,paint, tires and rims.

When I was 16, I had a 68' convertible running. My dad told me to get my project out of the yard within 2 weeks. I was lucky enough that the Votech would let me store it there while workiing on it with limited funds. When school let out I found a farmer who rented out a barn for me to set it in. I bought the car for 200$ Sold it for $15000.

Most of all prove your Dad your willing to stick with it and respect them at the same time. Its not how bad you really want it, Its how bad you willing to stick to it.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Bronco question

Welcome to the Bronco crowd

My 2 cents worth. Buy the Bronco heres why?

Easy to fix.
Up in Canada, insurance is significantly less.
Gas mileage is about the same with any other related vehicle.
It looks real cool.
Its a truck - - - not a SUV
It is a real chick magnet.
A great learning vehicle, simple mechanics and can be modified to what you want.
It's rugged, what you can take the Bronco into and out of the explorer would choke.
It has a real V-8, power when you need it.
Tough like junk yard dog, you will be surprised what this vehicle can take and not die on you.

14 grand?? what do you want? thats show vehicle territory. you won't have to spend that much on a primo Bronco.

A personal note: I am 55 years old, had my Bronco for 5 years, it is a real "fixer-upper", and a god awful color.
It starts every time, gets there when I want, eats souped up sports imports for lunch and I have to take it away from the wife. She has a new dodge van but when it is time to go to town the Bronco is gone. The girls love it, I have no problem "playing with the girls" The best thing about my Bronco, it has doubled in value since I bought it, no other vehicle can say that.

Tell your dad that it is about the best vehicular investment you can make and then when you get one, hide the keys He will catch the bug and your Bronco will be gone.

Don (the old fart in Canada)

Loc.
Charleston, SC
I also live in Charleston Cnty. Property tax on my 69 AMX is $16. The taxes on my 02 Exp. Sport-trac, over $400, maybe near $500. Good argument for your dad. I am selling The Exp. to buy an EB. I can't work on the Exp. and it scares me to death that it will be out of warranty and have needs at some point. Just had 30k check up cost a ton. I can tune an old V8 for less$ and enjoy doing it. Exp mpg I think is around 18. A well tuned sml block(if you can keep your foot out of it) could reasonably get 15. Good luck and I say go for it! Your budget is much higher than mine if I find something good that's beyond me I'll let you know. Scott. SSL.

Loc.
Charleston, SC
dmb, I was just reading back through the thread. That 69 is gone and I take it you didn't buy it. There was something fishy about it. I told the sales man after looking at it a second time that I wanted to run it to my friends shop for his opinion. He said I could take any other car on the lot but not that one. I said why and he said because a mechanic would notice a lot of little things that shouldn't matter on a 30 year old car. BS! I don't think you missed anything there. Scott.

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Man, buy a Bronco. When I was 14 my Dad and I wanted to buy a 65-66 convertible mustang. Well we found one and Mom vetoed it. During my childhood, we had about 5 EB's. I lusted after these for years. It was my dream to own one. Well, this past May I was washing my '95 F150, and after I got done, I put a for sale sign in it. Everyone was shocked, but within a month I found my Bronco. My baby had been sitting in a barn for 9 years and I would not trade it for anything. I would not recommend one that has been sitting a whils as you will have seal problems. My biggest complaint is that I waited so long to buy one. If you don't buy one now, you will always regret it.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Henrietta said:
Man, buy a Bronco. When I was 14 my Dad and I wanted to buy a 65-66 convertible mustang. Well we found one and Mom vetoed it. During my childhood, we had about 5 EB's. I lusted after these for years. It was my dream to own one. Well, this past May I was washing my '95 F150, and after I got done, I put a for sale sign in it. Everyone was shocked, but within a month I found my Bronco. My baby had been sitting in a barn for 9 years and I would not trade it for anything. I would not recommend one that has been sitting a whils as you will have seal problems. My biggest complaint is that I waited so long to buy one. If you don't buy one now, you will always regret it.

Ditto!
My Grandfather bought my EB new in '68 and I always wanted one. I looked all over for one I could afford when I was your age. My problem was that they were always out of my price range if they weren’t a pile of crap. After many years of trying to get my Grandfather to sell me his and still looking for one (not to mention the wife factor) I inherited it after he pasted away! Now this is not the best way to get one, but the best part is that it will always remain in the family. The other best part is I know the complete history of it! It’s still mostly stock and I plan to keep it very close exempt for a few major improvements like, power steering, disk brakes, and adding a roll bar. The engine is also the stock 289 that was just rebuilt. I get great gas mileage for a 36 year old – about 16-22 even with the stock 3-spd. Anyway just my 2 cents! The EB without a doubt is the coolest classic 4WD and is always an eye catcher. Every where I go I get people commenting on it and catch many people in parking lots taking a closer look. And also the thumbs up from every EB you see on the road! Good luck!!:)

Do the right thing RICE ROCKETS have no class or style!

OP
OP
D

dmb2187

Loc.
charleston sc
yeah thats what im afraid of...its kinda now or never. or now and a long time from now. im still tryin though, cause id much rather it be now. good news is my mom is for it, and my dad doesnt think its a joke anymore. thats a major step. if i could prove that they are just as safe i think hed be more receptive. thanks for yalls help, yall are the only reason ive even gotten him this far!

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
You should buy a bronco....but you should do it smart. I don't think anyone has mentioned the most important things, and if they have, I apologise in advance for saying it again.

PARTS!! parts are cheap...my fuel pump was 12.00. My Hubs were 89.00 for both...

We had an EXPLODER....that's right.....e-x-p-l-o-d-e-r. We had a hub go out in 2 years of owning it, with NO 4 wheel use whatsoever. it was my mom's grocery getter (i know, I know.) the hub was about 200.00, if I remember right. but you couldn't do it youself....it had a nut on the spindle that had to be put on with 400 foot-pounds.....400!!!!! There was no machine that we could rent or borrow that could do that, so not only did we have to pay for a part, but we had to pay the bastards at PHord to fix it, which was another 200.00

Now, we owned the exploder for about 5 years. in it's 4th year, the tranny went. just like that. no tranny. another 2000.00 in repairs, and of course, it's not covered in the warrenty. I've never had a tranny blow in any of my older vehicles, and if I did, 2000.00 would buy me a racing tranny to replace it with. not some phord garbage that has to be replaced again in 4 years. Hell, 2500.00 can get you a ZF tranny with the adapters and everything, ready to go, brand new.

(sorry guys, but new fords suck some serious ass...I speak from numerous experiences)

Now when you go to buy a bronco, do you know where it rusts? Floorpans, rocker panels, door edges, hood hinges....you need to know these things. And NEVER let some guy tell you he doesn't want you pulling up the original carpet padding to look for rust...trust me, it's there in that case.

A good person wouldn't mind you taking off the taillight to check for rust. and it's there too. You need to know where to look, and what to look for, that's all.

make sure you try turning the wheel with it parked, there should be no play. make sure of the leaks....good engine don't leak. period. Make sure you put it in 4, and try it even on the street, but make sure it doesn't pop out or something. Keep in mind many manual trannys were column shift, and to me, that sucks. Autos have high temp issues, unless your radiator is good.

It's a truck. when built right, it doesn't have play, or weird sounds, or the like. It handles and performs like any other, but with the usual bronco things. There should be no bumpsteer, or excessive leaning, or noisy suspension.

DON'T do hasty. look around. look around somemore....its worth it to take a little more time than you want to, or you'll end up like I did, with a rusted out frame, and a truck that need everything replaced to be safe.

14000.00 ?:? :eek: ?:? Are you kidding? You can get a show car for that!! You can get yourself an awesome EB for that much....in fact, you can get one for 6000.00, and your parents can just give you a little cash for repairs if you need it.

Last, don't buy one without planning to work on it. get into the autoshop in your school or something, but make plans to have to fix things. the best part about that it all the cool things you can do, and the low cost of repairs. Otherwise, it's a great truck, and you won't be sorry.

Mrcat88

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have had my Bronco for 9 years; couldnt tell you how much I have spent on it, but I have done alot of the work myself. Either way, I will probably spend much more over the next couple on the resto. Mostly, I have learned things about mechanics and myself. There is nothing like road tripping in it. Yes, I have been broken down in the middle of nowhere on three different occasions, but that is what adventures/road trips are about sometimes. What? You ask is this guy talking about. If you can afford a Bronco in the 10-14K range, you are a lucky SOB. You need to kiss your parents ass and respect them; you also need to convince them that when you find the right Bronco and even if it is a little more than the 14K (I'll get to that) that you jump on it. Try to get the seller to pass on as much info as they have on it as well. You will most likely spend too much at a used car lot or a Ford dealer, but you could get lucky. Have a body shop and a mechanic take a look at it for you before you commit ($200 is good insurance for a thorough inspection by really good mechanics and body guys for a >10K investment). Examine the floorboards, the wheel wells, the frame. A nicely done Bronco will be pretty obvious. If someone has taken the time to put a nice liner in it, either a fresh motor or a EFI swap/conversion (MAF would be most desirable for a number of reasons), the roll bar should be connected to the frame, the engine bay organized and moderately clean/preferably lined. Transmission-wise: Everyone who has had one speaks well of their C4s and C6s, so that is not bad. AODs are great for overdrive and I have heard minimal complaints. Manual, the stock three speed is OK (mine is still good after 30 years) and the wheelers love the NP435. I doubt you will find one already converted to a NV3550 or 4500 in that $range unless they have done all the mechanicals and are bailing (due to funds on the rest) but that would be worth the extra $$$ (I mentioned above). The more modernized the better...being a DD and your only car for that kind of financial investment. The drawback is that with a more modernized truck some shops (if you dont do it yourself, may tell you that they wont touch it because it too mod-ed, cause no one's ever worked on a 5.0 before), so really the first thing you need to do is go out and get a nice set of tools, including a hub socket, you will need them. But you will love your truck. At the least, ABOVE $10K YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME PRETTY HIGH EXPECTATIONS, if they dont know, be suspicious unless you can see some documentation, receipts, part #s for mods, journal of maintenance. I would think most guys who take good care of their rigs, will have most of this kind of stuff and will pass it on. You should also do so. If you invest that much into a Bronco, have your folks check into insurance that will cover your investment (Blue book would give you a cookie, not a replacement); that will still be cheaper than insurance on an 98-2000 Exploder. Sorry to babble. Best of luck.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
MRCAT88 - I'd have to disagree with the new FORDS SUCK!

My 2001 Expedition has been a great family rig, it's never been in the shop for a thing! I bought it new and I look at it as the big brother to my EB.

Be carefull lot's of true Ford love here!:)
I've never owned anything else!!

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
Hey, it's ok to disagree....I piss lots of ford people off when I say that, but oh well.

My experience has been less than steller, let just say that.

besides, I went to international car show, and chebbys and fords were the biggest tin cans there. The doors rattle when you shut them, the interior is all plastic, the parts look cheap, and when it's new like that, you expect them to break.

I'll never change my opinion until I see a new ford that actually performs. Until then, I have the bronco, and a brand new toyota truck for my Daily.

;D

Mrcat88

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I forgot...I know, you rambled forever, what could you have to say....As far as safety goes. The Bronco is not the weak link here. My Bronco is personally responsible for the deaths of several other vehicles, she has been through some counseling, so she is better/rehabilitated, if you will. Seriously, my stock bumpers are a little tweaked, 3 rear ends, one- master cyclinder failure on the way home with new master cylinder...that one was special. The other two were just stupidity. Providing you have good brakes (minimally power brakes with front discs), solid suspension (no death wobble), there is no safety issue. I have been rear ended in mine twice, it hurt them much more than me or my truck. Make sure the carb, unless you get efi, is new. I had mine stall in a snow/ice storm (BHM, late Jan 1996) going down hill in 4-low, the wheels locked up...I couldnt get my date home and ended up marrying her...really...We lived in AL, its like law....OK there is a bit more to the courtship than that, but that was our 1st date...really! Moral: ditch the original carb and get a nice 4-barrell or go EFI. Safety isnt really an issue, just make sure the car is mechanically sound.

hokie7

Loc.
charlotte nc
what up dmb. im 18 and the current owner of a 1971 bronco living in charlotte. i got my bronco about 2 years ago out of atlanta and ill be honest i got a lemon for what me and my dad paid for the truck (10000). the body was in great shape but the drivetrain has been horrible. ive sunk some money into the bronco to fix it probly totalling close to 8 grand makin in for 1) safe and 2) reliable. i put power steering (a must), disk brakes (another must), steering column, roll cage, soft top, new front axle, and more. currently i am working on the rear axles which saturday broke. yet considering all this i walked into buying a bronco totally unprepared, thus the expense. however buying the car has been the best investment of my life. my dad is in love with the car (all his co-workers drool over it, and i guess it makes him feel young again). girls drool over it, it is awesome to drive a totally unique classic car. an explorer has no personality, with a bronco you can express yourself in whatever was you want. i am planning on keeping the car trough college and then totally restoring it as a hobby. for a teen this is the car to get. but if you do decide to get a bronco dont jump into it and ride off in a car without THOUROGHLY running it past this forum and/or a qualified mechanic. be patient, find the best bang for the buck.
but trust me you will fall in love with the bronco if you get one

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Bronco Sport.....Please tell me you didn't say that your Expedition is the "BIG BROTHER" to your EB. Remember when in '97 they came out with the Expedition it was to be the "Suburban" of Ford, and the Bronco would be the 2 door version. Well Ford scrapped the Bronco in favor of that POS. Now I am and always will be a diehard Ford man. Heck when I was a kid all my matchboxes were Ford's. I just have some personal issues with the Expeditions. For years I would not ride in my mom's Expedition because it took the place of the Bronco. But since I have since bought my own EB, then I have come to terms with that.;D In all seriousness man I hope the tranny never goes out. Mom and Dad were looking at like 3 or 4k...They sold it and bought and Eddie Bauer newer Expedition. BTW Mom is 6' tall so she has driven 3 EB's, and 3 Big Broncos.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Henrietta said:
Bronco Sport.....Please tell me you didn't say that your Expedition is the "BIG BROTHER" to your EB. Remember when in '97 they came out with the Expedition it was to be the "Suburban" of Ford, and the Bronco would be the 2 door version. Well Ford scrapped the Bronco in favor of that POS. Now I am and always will be a diehard Ford man. Heck when I was a kid all my matchboxes were Ford's. I just have some personal issues with the Expeditions. For years I would not ride in my mom's Expedition because it took the place of the Bronco. But since I have since bought my own EB, then I have come to terms with that.;D In all seriousness man I hope the tranny never goes out. Mom and Dad were looking at like 3 or 4k...They sold it and bought and Eddie Bauer newer Expedition. BTW Mom is 6' tall so she has driven 3 EB's, and 3 Big Broncos.

Well as I said it's like my eb's big brother. We needed something bigger for the two small boys and the excurtion was just too big. I am also a diehard Ford man as well and my boys only have ford Hot wheels. My dad also has only had Ford truck a far back as I can remenber. The thought of having a Cheby Suburban was never even a thought!;D

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
Henrietta said:

You have got to be kidding. My Expedition is the best damn vehicle i have ever owned. I would not get rid of it for any reason that I can think of. Evne if i do get 13 MPG (city or hwy).

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
bpassmore said:
You have got to be kidding. My Expedition is the best damn vehicle i have ever owned. I would not get rid of it for any reason that I can think of. Evne if i do get 13 MPG (city or hwy).

I totally agree. My wife even likes it better than here sedan!

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
I am not saying that its a bad vehicle...Only that I have had a case of the a$$ for them since they come out...I remeber seeing the 2 door concept for the Bronco in that bodystyle. It is just that Ford scrapped the Bronco in FAvor of the Expedition. My parents have owned 2, and I have ridden in theirs. There is a ton of room in them, and for a vacation vehicle there is nothing wrong with them, or for a large family with lots of stuff to tote around. Heck I would rather have one of these than a FRIGGING minivan!!!! Its all about personal preference brother...For me I would rather have an Excursion...in OD green and paint Panzer on the side. Look out Kia's.