• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I rebuild my tranny since my engine is out?

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
I'm pulling my engine out this monday and was wondering if I should have my tranny looked at while the engine is out. The tranny leaks and has been sitting for 5 years. Should I just do a rebuild with that as well?

Thanks,
Vet

dgold_881

Contributor
If you have the cash to do it.. Then you should do it. You'll kick your self a week after you have the engine back in and the tranny takes a Sh*t on you.

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
About a year ago we had 3 C4's rebuilt and I believe we paid between $250-400 a piece with new torque converters. We like the C4's, I am sure there will be pros and cons from others. I agree with dgold 881 since you have it out go through it before it dumps on you. imo

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
You heard of the rule ' Measure Twice & Cut Once '

Well if you don't know the condition of the trans & if you have the money for the rebuilt & sinc the engine out ...... ....... The choice is your's

or

Don't do it, at all & do it later down the road after you already put the engine back in .. ?

The choice is your's ... now or later ... ?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I agree. Easy to drop now w/ engine out and you'll be putting a fresh engine AND trans back in. Especially if it's a leaker I'd have it freshened up...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If it leaks and has been sitting for 5 years now is the time to give it the once over. There's no better feeling than being able to park it in the garage and not have it leak anything.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I would definitely do the transmission along with the transfer case as well!

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
I will pull it out. Now the question is where/how do I drain the tranny and how hard is it to get out?
Thanks for everything.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There's a drain plug on the front of the converter. You can get about 5-6 qts out of that. Then you can loosen the dipstick tube on the pan and get another 4-5 qts out. Once you get all the bolts out it'll drop right down on the floor, but it suggest putting something under it to hold it up.;)

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
There's a drain plug on the front of the converter. You can get about 5-6 qts out of that. Then you can loosen the dipstick tube on the pan and get another 4-5 qts out. Once you get all the bolts out it'll drop right down on the floor, but it suggest putting something under it to hold it up.;)

The C4 takes 9 quarts of oil? That's alot right?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The C4 takes 9 quarts of oil? That's alot right?

It actually holds about 11 qts but you won't be able to get it all out until you take it apart. Plan your drain pan size accordingly.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
And the NV3550 takes 2.1 quarts right? Just threw me off that it's such a large difference and made me worry that I don't have enough in mine.

PS: Sorry for the hijack

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Auto transmissions use more than manual transmissions. The auto needs it for fluid coupling, hydraulic actuation, cooling and lubrication. Manuals need it for lubrication and some cooling only.