• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show me your Dash

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
he ought to put a lock on that, then who needs a glove box...

LS

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
On my dash I removed the ash tray and the stock speaker grill and moved the glove box over to were the old left edge of the ash tray was. I moved it over thinking that it would be easier to reach into the glove box while driving, I found 3 thing after doing it 1st. the stock speacker grill would of been nice if installed all the way to the right so it would of been behind the roll bar a good place to mount the CB speaker behind. 2nd. with the glove box were it at now the box hits the defrost vent (just a little)3rd. if yours has the fuse box in the box the wires have to bent fairly tight. All the above problems are easly fixed but when I did all this 5-7 years ago all these things were kind of new. Also on mine I removed the stock radio filling that area and adding all my gauges 4 total,moving the radio into the tuffy box.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Hey classic4x4s, are those carling switches? I'm trying hard to find a source of the water proof carling contura switches with illuminated function lenes. Anyone have a good source? TIA.

Rob

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
How does it work when you have a cable operated heater assembly, and then toggle switches?? I started a post a while ago as this is what I want to do, but I could never figure out how it would work with the heater??

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Man do I feel out classed here! I might as well be driving a Heep!:'(

Y'all have some GREAT looking dash's! Thanks for all of the how to's on the mods you've done! I don't have access to a welder, plasma cutter or lazer cut stuff but I'm going to fire up my trusty jigsaw and drill press and steal some ideas from each of you.;D

Look out diamond plate, I've got a jigsaw, a drill press, a BIG hammer and JB Weld, and I know how to use them!%)

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I didn't use any of those tools either. I went out and bought a different kinda hole saw and was real careful with a jig saw, then spent some time with a hand file and it came out lookin' like a new rig

yak67

Bronco Guru
I second the holesaw and jigsaw routine, take your time, and it will come out looking good.

4x4x289

i use a Sawzall when ever i can. straight clean cuts. I used it quit a bit for my dash and cage. one the best tools i've ever purchased.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i built this in one of mine back in 94. i'd do it a bit different now, but i still like it. glove box is moved over to clear cage.
hth
nick

Attachments

• thumper int.jpg
    thumper int.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 692

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
So what would you do different now, Nick?

These are great by the way...KEEP 'EM COMING!

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i would use a neat trick i learned of dimpling the hole for the guages. it recesses the guage into it. looks really trick.
i might use a different aircraft switches if i did it over.maybe put some push button reset relays in the wiring loom insead of the type of relays i used when i made the wiring harness.
but back then, that's what i had to work with.
i'd anodize the dash for sure now, being i'm into the plating look.

people ask why the bulk of the guages to the right. the truck was designed for two passengers. the passenger is responsible to pay attention to the guages, the driver watches the terrain for the most part. but there is also an low oil pressure light just in case!

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
So what's the trick on recessing the gauges?

I like the list gauge SGTROCK1 Steal that one off a sailboat? Cool idea. Maybe I can rob one off an old Subaru or Mitsubishi in the junkyard.

Thanks to y'all, I've figured out what I want to do with my dash now. Using a stock dash as my mount/template, I'm going to cut the face out of it and use a piece of aluminum DP as a overlay (I love DP!!!). I'll mount the climate controls like TOGUE did and use some expanded metal for the speaker grills (left over aluminum gutter gaurd will work great!). I can't afford new gauges like most of you did so I'll reuse mine and just add the basic oil pressure and water temp. Move the glove box inboard (If i can figure out how to make it work) and go from there. I REALLY like the wildchild storage dashpad but ouch - too pricey for my 1/2 a shoestring budget. I'll just liquid nail the stuff to the passenger side of the windshield so I can see where it is when I need it...%)

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Oops - forgot a question. How do you rig up a low pressure warning light??