• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Slack In Steering Help 67 Bronco

ytsurrusty

Loc.
milfay, OK
hEY I have a 67 bronco and I got some slack in the steering wheel about an inch both ways. whats the best way to fix this if it can be fixed?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There are several things you must check to find out where the slack is coming from. are the tie rods worn? trac bar bushings worn? play in the steering box? or a combonation of all 3. If you have a helper have then turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the tierods and trac bar for any play if none then its your steering box. Usually means your box is pretty worn and needs a good quality rebuid. but you might be able to adjust it a little with the sector shaft adjustment screw on top of the box but really that adjustment is really only for bearing preload not worn components.
If you did see play in the terods or trac bar then you need to start there first replace the tierods and trac bar bushings then see if it has tightend things up.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
First of all, you have to determine WHERE the slack is coming from. Have someone sit in the seat and work the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the affected parts in line down from the steering wheel. Joints in steering column, steering box, pitman arm,drag link and joints, tierod and joints. All these parts should move in time with the steering wheel with NO SLOP!! Also check track bar bushings, these have to be TIGHT AND SOLID!!!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
As everyone else said check all the things they said. If the slop is coming from the box and it is a manual box you can rebuild the box. But this would be a good time to up grade to power steering. Every bronco parts house carries kits and you could also peice it together your self. My 67 was manual steering and had alot of slop it was a real bear to drive on the street when you hit a rut or pot hole. I put powersteering on using a box, pump and bracket I got from a powersteering rebuild guy. I just had to make up the shaft and the hoses. It all cost me about $500.00 and was worth every penny!