• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

small block chevy in a eb

teamsideways

Loc.
ruskin.fl
alright don't hate.....what all do i need to put a sbc in my 76 bronco?
what bell housing will work with the stock three speed manual?
does anybody sell motor mounts for this conversion?

i've been looking but i can't find enough info on trans input shaft pilot bearing differentces either.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yeah, this post will go over well. %)

For it to work well: First, sell your Bronco. Next, go buy a Blazer. The sbc will fit nicely in there.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Aaaahhh- don't let them intimidate you..... If truth be known, we all have a bunch of chebby stuff on our EB's. Disc conversions, heater motors, Astro Van hydroboost, Saginaw PS pump,QuadraJet carb etc. And then even some HEEP parts-- wiper arms. (and I have even more, GM tilt steer column, GM door handles, arm rests, GM (Caviler) seats, Delco alternator......) BTW used parts have no conscience, they'll go on anything. ;)
Advance Adapters sells the bellhousing, little spendy, tho, approx $400. Look up the one for a SBC to FFord T-18, that'll do it. And, they can talk you thru it. Mounts you will have to fabricate, that's not a big deal.

Let the flaming begin....;D

PM me if ya want, I've been toying with the idea myself.:cool:

Last edited:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not go with a 700r4? If you are already swapping the engine, might as well swap the trans and save on the adapter.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
ah yes, a sb chevy. just like every other single sb chevy put into everything in the past 40 years.

growing up reading hot rod mags, 350's got really old really quick. want to be unique? Put in an old flat head ford v8 or something, go for an oddball motor.

as for the sag, HB etc... about having chvy parts, those parts are third party and ford ran the same things from the factory.

chevy motor in a ford, thats a real turn off.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Man, you can't say "don't hate" and follow it up with a question like that! You're gonna get reamed like an Auburn fan at a 'Bama game!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
People have done it. Some have done it very successfully. Some even claim that it is the baddest motor conversion that has ever been done. 5 billion horsepower and 23 mpg's to boot!

It's the heart of the vehicle. Just keep it Ford. If you want a challenge, put a bigger Ford into it. Not that I would know anybody that would do that. ;D

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Why not go with a 700r4? If you are already swapping the engine, might as well swap the trans and save on the adapter.

Love the comments, that's what keeps the world going around....:D

And yeah, the 700R4 adaptor is about the same price.. (but first one must have one) :cool:

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
McLeod use to have a bellhousing that went from chevy to ford trans. Ford trans. have or were common in stock car racing in the day.

custom-cruiser

Loc.
Boise,ID
attachment.php

apachetech

Loc.
Mountain Home, Idaho
Really? You know there was once a time when I dreamed of owning a Heep (I can't say the word now) but I wanted a Ford engine in it, Ford drivetrain, Ford axles and then one day I woke up and realized I wanted an Early Bronco! Why desecrate something as unique as a Bronco with a Chevy engine? I know there are those who will say that they have used Chevy parts here and there but that is what makes an EB unique. There have been several vehicle lines out there that threw in all kinds of parts from this one and that one and made it work, but keep Ford...Ford!

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bellhousing; Chevy engine to Ford toploader. Shop around
All other parts (like motor mounts) will be custom. There are no kits for this. The only reason they even make a Chevy engine to Ford transmission is because chevy people wanted better transmissions and Ford had them.

Realisticly, that is the only useful advise you will get on this site for that swap. Everything else is all on your own.

woody6852001

im a chevy guy through and through- i just bought a bronco in colorado this week. its got a 302, 4.11s and a np435 with 33s and sings at about 3k going down the road. im not used to this at all, so i immediately thought of doing an LS swap. I dunno, Prolly should put a triton motor in it though. (it would most likely get bad mileage then as well)