• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

small block chevy in a eb

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
huh.

I was at PAP the other day. I saw a shortbed ford truck and a quadrajet sticking outta the hood. I thought shiza there's my SBF offenhouser quadrajet manifold!!!

Sadly though it was just a SBC under the hood.

I don't have any loyalty to brands but seriously small black is a GD small block, why bother with the cheby small block. Going to make your EB worthless. Drop in a roller motor SBF and call it a day.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have the chevy disk brake conversion. Doesn't bother me. I have a chevy HB I am about to install. No problem. My seats are Hondas. Comfy. But I draw the line at swapping in a non-Ford engine. Just not right - in my opinion, it sucks. :p

(Well you did expect some hate, didn't you??)

My suggestion is to fix up a 69-72 Blazer if you want a chevy engine. I'd love to have one actually. ;D

chadomatic

Loc.
St Paul
Why? there is no reason in the world to do this. I am a ford guy. I put ford stuff in my bronco. Please do not ruin an american classic.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
If I was starting all over I'd do the LS Chevy,after owning a 07 PU with the 5.3 anybody who drove one for a afternoon would understand,the LS is the pinnacle of pushrod engine design. Just remember the small block ford was on the drawing board in the late 50's,alot has been learned about head design in the last 50 years. And when it comes down to putting a chevy in a ford,I'll probley die owning this rig and after that it won't matter to me if it gets 75-80% of what a ford engine would get.

To me it's the coolness of the bronco body. Now if someone was trying to graft jeep fenders onto the front of a bronco,that person should be spit on.

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
That's the thing though it won't get 75% to 80% of what a ford powered ford gets.

I mean we're splitting hairs here - these are all pukey gasoline engines.

Diesel.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hey go ruin something else. The Chevy parts you all are talking about were not made by Chevy at all...the only part Chevy on a hydroboost is the bracket..its a Bendix. The Chevy caliper is the only real Chevy part the rest is Dana. The only reason junk Chevy brakes are used is that there really are no other disc brake options. Sorry safety trumps the engine. Go buy a Jeep and butcher one of those piles of shiat. Sorry but the bronco is special and it genuinely pisses me off to ruin it with a fancy 350 sbc!

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
There's also one on CL in roseburg OR,1/2 cab with a sbc for $7800.Been on and off for a year.I've never posted a link to it ,because I really think Fords need to be powered by Ford.IMO,and that's the only one that counts to me. Do what you like ,just don't
't expect a lot of positive feedback.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
What is your logic for doing this?

The conversion will cost you a bunch of extra time and $$ and make your rig worth nothing.

What will you gain?

Think about it this way you can't even figure out how to bolt the motor to the trans. Where will you get info on exhaust, on radiator hoses or intake to hood clearance or any of the other small things that can drive you nuts when customizing one of these?

Have you really thought this through? Why FU a Bronco?

An early 70s Blazer is a full convertible with Dana axles and disc brake and comes with a SBC. They are pretty cool rigs. If you want a SBC that bad just buy one of those.

Shouldn't the moderators move this to the off topic lounge to protect the innocent children who may be learning Bronco tech.

Amac70

ME
do it. I'd love to have my 6.0l motor in my bronco. I keep telling people if i ever wreck it, it is going in the bronco. just don't lift the hood keep em guesing. And there is more then one ls powered broncos running around. That motor will run circles over my newely rebuilt roller 351w.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I love threads like this! I say its yours do what ever floats your boat. I'm heading out to the garage to slap a coat of red paint on my Miller welder;D

AZ69EB

IMO -

We represent a great Ford Bronco community / Family that should have an open mind to help some very creative people put Chebby engines into their beloved Bronco’s.

All I ask is that we have the same opportunity to be their spotters on the trail!!;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
im a chevy guy through and through- i just bought a bronco in colorado this week. its got a 302, 4.11s and a np435 with 33s and sings at about 3k going down the road. im not used to this at all, so i immediately thought of doing an LS swap. I dunno, Prolly should put a triton motor in it though. (it would most likely get bad mileage then as well)

A ls swap wont change your engine RPM's.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
do it. I'd love to have my 6.0l motor in my bronco. I keep telling people if i ever wreck it, it is going in the bronco. just don't lift the hood keep em guesing. And there is more then one ls powered broncos running around. That motor will run circles over my newely rebuilt roller 351w.

That 6.0 liter may be impressive to you. But I don't think I would like it more than my "6.6 liter" Ford.

Last edited:

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
What if you went w/ a chevy bell & an sm465 tranny? Very similar to the 435 if I'm not mistaken. Would be easier, I'd think, to find a xfer case adapter.

Personally, I'm a fan of personal choice & creativity! Not what I would do cuz I'm also a fan of simple. Your Bronco, put whatever you want in it & don't be buffaloed into what the mainstream does. I'd be happy to wheel with ya regardless of what you got under the hood! Hell, I've even wheeled with Jeep guys...

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland

I call bullshit! After the money and time you have put into your set up.....if your truck was wrecked the only thing you would be doing is waiting by the mail box waiting for the insurance check!! ;D

rplivin

Loc.
Jasper Al
You would think after asking the question he would have at least made more than one post. Or reply to some of the comments and plea his case.