• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

smoke coming from wheel well

Wilzy014

hi folks. Looking for possible causes. My /77 Bronco started pulling to one side the other day when I was driving it around. When i parked the car back at the house, smoke was emanating from the inside of the wheel well. What could cause this?
thank you everyone

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Most likely brake sticking or possibly a bearing seizing up. Pull it apart and start inspecting. Front or rear? Disc or drum brakes?

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey wilzy,

Welcome. 77 should have front disc brakes.

My hunch is a hose to the caliper has collapsed, and is holding the brake on. I believe you can loosen the bleeder screw on that side to release the pressure, just have a rag ready to catch the fluid.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, hopefully it is a frozen brake caliper, but I would take it all apart and repack the bearings on both sides if it hasn't been done in a while. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's too late now for the initial hand-on-the-hub heat test on yours, but when one of my calipers froze up and smoke came from the brake pads AND the wheel bearing grease AND the burning brake hose(!) you could still feel that the bearing hub was almost too hot to touch an hour and a half later.

Has your Bronco been sitting for extended periods? Lots of miles without verified maintenance? Could be either brakes or bearings, so time to handle both.
If you drive yours again you can test that theory, but using our experiences as your guide I'd not even drive it until you've pulled the wheel bearings apart and checked both brakes and bearings.

When it happened to me I was thinking it was some kind of wiring burning underneath because I could not see anything obvious and it smelled kind of strange. In the parking lot (big Bronco gathering for burgers) member BajaBronco touched the hub and without actually uttering the words, basically said "well there's your problem right there!" and that was that.
At that point we did not know if it was a brake or a bearing, but after pulling things apart it appeared to have started in the brakes. But the bearings needed replacing anyway because the grease in the back had charred and the seal melted and they showed signs of age and damage.
Does sound like the bearings had a hand in things as much as the brakes, but it didn't matter because I replaced all of the above anyway.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's possible it is still dragging once cooled off. Jack up the other front tire and give it a spin. This is your reference point.
Go to the side that was smoking, give it a spin. Lots of drag, hard to spin? OK, you have something to work with. Crack open the bleed screw on the caliper and close it back up. Better? Brake line is bad and holding pressure.
Next take off the tire (spin the rotor again for reference) and take off the caliper.
Does this free it up? Stuck caliper piston or slide (hopefully you payed attention as you took it apart.
Still dragging? Now you are into the wheel bearings.

If for some reason you have front drums (years ago it was common to buy a Bronco, swap the good parts and sell it off) there is no taking the caliper off. You are taking the bearings apart to get the drum off and will find something during that. But the open the bleeder screw test is still valid.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you find problems when your done fixing the bad side make sure you do the other side too both sides have traveled the same miles and went same places and were maintained by the same people.

Hazegray

Had a neighbor whose wife pulled his *heby truck under the carport, smoking bad from the wheels, no power underway. I offered to help out (once cooled off), cracked up the caliber bleeder and brake fluid shot out under pressure. After removing rubber brake lines, could not blow air through 'em. $30 later, job done no issues afterwards.

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
My brake line story involves a much younger Jerry and a 67 VW Squareback.

Stopped at light fine, passenger front wheel didn't go very well afterwards. That day I learned that brake lines deteriorate from the inside.